Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Thermal Sailor or Vista EP

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:36 PM
BillBabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermal Sailor or Vista EP

I am considering the Tower Hobbies Vista EP ARF and the World Models Thermal Sailor. The Vista can be bought complete per Towers recomendations. The Thermal sailor is a bit larger and should be easier for me to see. Unfortunately, the ESC and battery required are not stated.

Does anyone have a recommendation ( source) for the ESC and battery for the Sailor.

Please do not recommend changing the motor in either plane to use a particular battery pack. That can come after I have some experience with the plane.

Clarence
Old 07-28-2008, 11:22 PM
JockC

Default RE: Thermal Sailor or Vista EP

Bill: You need a 25 amp speed controller with brake suitable for a brushed motor, and an 8 cell 1800mAh battery (this is from the Thermal Sailor instruction book.) I assume the battery specified is Nicad or NiMH. I am using a 2s (2 cell) 1500 mAh lipo, which is more than enough, and a lot lighter. If you want more time between recharging, go to a 2S 1800 mAh battery. The speed controller I happened to buy is a GWS ICS-600, rated 30 amps continuous, 45 amps for short bursts. I recall the combination was drawing 23 amps when I metered it.

I have since changed to a brushless motor and speed controller, same battery.

The Thermal Sailor gave me a very good intro to thermallingin fact I've caught the bug after 14 years of power flying. However, it is quite lightly built, ie a bit flimsydon't fly it too fast downhill (I've pulled the wings off twice, and have since fitteed spoilers) and once you are used to it, start easing the CG back. The manual specifies a CG position 80 mm back from the wing LE. I am now at 109mm back, and getting much longer flights, and better signalling when it hits a thermal. I'm still a novice at thermalling, though.

Good luck with yours if you buy one.

JockC
Old 07-29-2008, 04:22 AM
Tinkrerpilot
My Feedback: (2)

BillBabe

Here are some stats from anothr site that was used.

Himax 2812 outrunner (when you are ready)
35 amp ESC set for either Nicads or Lipo, depending on which way you go here.
Graupner 9X5 prop
1320MAH 3S Lipo

Watt draw: 160

You check out hobbycity or any of the other discount house for the batteries and ESC.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V819427

JockC's set up works pretty good to. Guess it just depends on what type of flying you are planning on doing.
Hope this helps. Just make sure your esc is set for which ever battery you plan on using. Lipo's would be the way to go. You could go up to 2500mah and still have plenty left over.

tink
Old 08-05-2008, 02:18 AM
VARMS

try an E-flite park 480 with a 20c 2200mah 3s li-po and a E-flite 40 amp ESC and that will do somewhere between 40 to 70 degrees clime i know the climb angle i said is a bit rough and inaccurate but anyhow a little food for thought i guess
good luck and fair winds and nice weather
Old 08-06-2008, 05:39 PM
BillBabe

JockC:

I finally decided on the Vista EP mainly because it seems to be tailored to the beginner. The total cost for the plane, charger, battery pack, charger adapter cable and an extra 2000MAH battery including shippind with my $20.00 discount was $165.44. How can you go wrong at that price.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:17 PM
shane.barton

Not a bad deal for a motorized sailplane. I may have to look into that for my 6-year old who has become more interested in this hobby. I had the unpowered Vista whaen I first starte the hobby, but didn'ty have much success with it. I only blame myself because I was doing it alone and in an undesireable location. It ultimately folded it's wings on hi-start due to me jerking on the elevator. I have heard others who have had success with it though.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:09 AM
JockC

Bill: Thanks for the news on which one you have gone for. Either way, I don't think you will be disappointed. The thrill of catching your first thermal is very addictive. I'm currently putting together a " job lot" bought second hand from the local hobby shop. The wings are pretty much an Aquila 100" set up, the fuse is a generic fibreglass "baseball bat" of about the right dimensions, but it is a pure glider, ie no motor. I'm training myself on the Thermal Sailor: power on to launch and reach altitude (say like a hi-start) then power off. Either find lift or land. Recharge, then have another go. Good discipline, and great fun.

Good luck with the Vista. It sounds a bit more more robust than the Thermal Sailor.

JockC
Old 08-19-2008, 01:20 PM
trackman

you will enjoy the vista ep. the first flight this past weekend lasted almost an hour! i actually lost sight a
couple of times, it came down because i needed a break. i have several sailplanes but i hate the highstart
in 90 degree heat. i didnt have very high expectations with the vista since it was so cheap. but i was surprised
how well it flies. worth every penny.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:40 PM
mred33

OK, when you are ready for a REALLY good motor system, go to Hobby City and look up these items.

Motor KD A22 20L
ESC Turnegy Plush 30A
Zippy R 2200mAh 3S battery
Spinner 45mm for folding prop with 3mm adapt.
Then go to Esprit Models and get an 11X6 folding prop

Put all that in there and stand by. It will be about half the weight and the climb will be around 60 or 70 dags. and take about 10 or 15 seconds to get to the altitude you want. Then sit back in your nice folding chair and get relaxed and watch it glide almost all day long. When you get a little low, hit the throttle and go up again and look for some more lift. You can get about 10 climbs out of it without worrying about running the battery flat. That's the set-up I have and I love it. Once you get the boat anchor out you will never want to put it back in.

Ed
Old 08-29-2008, 07:17 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't wate the money on the Vista EP, get a couple 2200mA 3S Lipos and use the stock ESC/ motor/ prop. This is a thermal bird not a hotliner.