Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Hanger 9 Super Cub Tug

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 04:27 PM
FUNFLYER52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 Super Cub Tug

I am interested in towing banners and gliders with my new hanger 9 super cub. It has plenty of power with a new g-26. I have never seen this done before and would like to know what kind of equipment to use and how to install it. I am more interested in towing banners right now and need to know how to construct the banner also.
Thanks, John
Old 05-17-2003, 05:12 PM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

See the earlier post with the subject:

Senior Telemaster Tug info needed

For banners, just put it on the bottom of the plane near the tail.

Or, you can just a put hole or slot in the bottom of the fuselage with a servo-driven pin going front to back over the hole. Pull the pin forward, push a loop through the hole, push the pin back.

The banner could be made from lightweight cloth with vinyl tape for the letters. You'll need some small weights on the bottom to keep it right side up.

It's been a while, but that's what I remember my friend doing to tow a banner behind his Fleet bipe.

Roger
Old 05-18-2003, 02:49 PM
FUNFLYER52

Thanks for your info Roger. One question on the front of the banner. Do I need some kind of rigid post on the front of the banner to attach the line too? Also, if i put the release on the bottom of the fuse in front of the tail, will this work for towing gliders? Or will it be best to set it up on the top of the wing behind the spar to tow gliders and banners?

Thanks, John
Old 05-18-2003, 03:21 PM
rogerflies

You're right, you'll need a stiffener at the front of the banner.

The glider tow should be on the top of the plane like shown in the other post.

I'd tow the banner from the bottom near the tail since it will want to trail below the plane. Tow the glider from the top near the wing. The glider will lift off before the tug and will be flying slightly above the tug's flight path.

Roger
Old 05-18-2003, 09:07 PM
FUNFLYER52

Thanks again for the info. Right now I am more interested in towing banners at different fly ins since no one in my club has a towable glider anyway. Do you have any idea as to how long to make the cable to tow with? I have noticed that most guys towing gliders are making them any where from 80 to 118ft long. Or will I just have to experiment. By the way, I see you are from Monks Corner. I get down to San Tee once a year to cat fish and i have been to the flying field at Eutaville. Is that where you fly? You all have a very nice place to fly.
Thanks again for the help. John
Old 05-18-2003, 09:43 PM
rogerflies

Yes, I belong to the Eutawville Flyers. We really do have a nice field. Thanks!!

Like I said earlier, it's been a while. It seems like Ray only had several feet between the plane and the banner. I can't think of any reason to make it very long. He would lay it on the ground, in front of and slightly off to the side of the plane. That kept the plane from having to drag it as it got up to flying speed.

Roger
Old 03-06-2004, 02:54 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hanger 9 Super Cub Tug

I too want to tow banners and gliders with my H9 Super Cub and I was wondering how this worked out?

TIA for your help!
Old 03-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Landi
My Feedback: (1)

Have a look at this site there is a lot of very usefull info for the beginner towpilot.

http://www.sailplanes.com/Tips/aerotowing.htm

Saludos

Landi
Old 03-07-2004, 08:27 AM
scalesoar
My Feedback: (8)

Hi:
The above link references my web page but the links are outdated and broken. So here are the correct ones.

http://www.scalesoaring.net/tow.html

http://www.scalesoaring.net/gas_motors.htm

My opening page: http://www.scalesoaring.net/

John D.