Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

I need some basic termal glider measurments for use in a new design.

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

I need some basic termal glider measurments for use in a new design.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:35 PM
althomas101
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some basic termal glider measurments for use in a new design.

Hello all, I am looking for some assistance with designing a powered glider. I tend to be long winded so bear with me. I guess a little background would be helpful, so here it goes. Someone I know gave me a few old airplanes that needed various repairs. I typically fly my own designs and enjoy scratch building, so he thought I would not mind mending them. One of those planes was an antique gas free flight, and another was a Gentle Lady. I restored the antique plane and converted it to 3-channel R/C to practice flying “left stick”. Due to its design and light wing loading I experienced thermals for the first time. I have logged many hours with my antique “glider”, and I decided to repair the Gentle Lady to get better gliding performance. I like the idea of a motor glider because I can go back up if I can’t find lift, and don’t need a winch and such. So I mounted a .15 glow on her (I prefer glow over electric for cost/convenience/safety reasons). The maiden flight showed superb flight characteristics (powered and glide), however I didn’t reinforce the wing, and it folded resulting in a total loss of the plane. Unfortunately I also did not take measurements of the planes design. So with all that said, what I want to do is get some basic measurements for which to use as a basis for designing my own motor glider. Also I would like some suggestions as to airfoil. I plan to keep it a simple, easy to build RES, based on a box/former fuselage. If the airfoil is not that big of an issue and a simple flat bottom clark Y will suffice, that is what I will use. Once I get a working design I will put the plans in CAD format and post them for the community in gratitude for their assistance. I am attaching a quick MSpaint .jpeg showing the dimensions I will need. If you have a RES glider and don’t mind taking some measurements of her and posting them, I would greatly appreciate it. My goal is for a 2M but I can scale down a 3M as well. If you want to contact me privately please use my Gmail account, which is althomas101 “at” gmail “dot” com just put glider in the subject line. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87200.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1019926