Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

E HAWK 1500 OBL29/09-07A Brushless motor timing and frequency problem

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

E HAWK 1500 OBL29/09-07A Brushless motor timing and frequency problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:48 PM
citation560v

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E HAWK 1500 OBL29/09-07A Brushless motor timing and frequency problem

Hi all ,

I have just recently come into ownership of a Thundertiger eHAWK 1500 motor glider, It has a OBL29/09-07A Brushless motor. While i am awaiting my speedy to come i have been offered a Hacker XB20 speed controler... Does anyone know of the Timing and frequency of these engines so i can set up my speedy???

Many Thanks

Michael
Old 09-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Rockitglider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E HAWK 1500 OBL29/09-07A Brushless motor timing and frequency problem

Hello,

I own one of these, and I use a 30A FlightTech speed controller on it and I can tell you ,this glider it puts out 1.5 times it weight in thrust, so it goes vertical and flight times are very long as the motor is not needed much providing there is a bit of lift out. I think you will be happy with it. I use a 1200 AHr Lipo 25/40C battery for this plane and it ballanced with no extra weight added. I set my speed controller up to Medium which is 2-14 poles, and I think the motor has 12 poles.

the Specs are:
Voltage Range: 6-10 Cells NiCad, 3s Lipoly
KV Rating 920 RPM/V
Max. Efficiency Current: 6-14A
Current Capacity 17A/60S
Internal Resistance 150mOhm
Weight 54g

If you have anymore questions about this model feel free to ask.

See ya, Rockitglider [8D]
Old 09-14-2008, 08:21 AM
citation560v

Default RE: E HAWK 1500 OBL29/09-07A Brushless motor timing and frequency problem

Rockitglider,

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, I'm hoping to test fly it tommorrow , With Hand launching , have you found any nasty torque issues or does it fly nicely out of your hand?

Is there any advice in regards to flying it you have found?

I have put in the Hacker Speedy X-20-Pro after seeing it apparently auto times the engine..... havn't got my head around all of that yet, seems to have a good pulll on it!!

What did you set your flight control travels to ? is it as per the manual ? it just doesn't seem alot...

Brgds

Michael
Old 09-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Rockitglider

Hello again,

I had the sugested throws, but found that I needed to increase the throws a little to about 1/8" more than what is recommended. I don't let it fly out of my hand ever I always give it a toss into the wind, If you're flying from flat ground toss it up at a slight angle but not enough to stall it, I turn the motor on after throwing but you could turn the motor on first and see if it will fly out of your hand as it does have alot of pull. Had to give a very little up elevator trim after motor cut off for smooth gliding. On landing the first time there was a tendency to over shoot the landing as this plane wants to keep on flying so give your self alot of approch on the first few landings to get used to it. I'm going to change mine to a servo in each wing as to set it up for spoilerons to make landing easier, here is a building thread on this plane to show how to do this.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780835

Have fun,

Old 09-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Rockitglider

Hello,

One more thing, Don't leave the canopy out in the sun as they get deformed in less than ten muinutes, but seems to be OK while flying. You will read about this in the building thread, has not happened to me yet.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 PM
citation560v

Thanks so much for your info!! I test flew the glider yesterday . At first i wasn't very impressed as it was sinking very badly and wouldn't glide very well , but that was to my own stupidity when i saw the prop windmilling in the wind..... Didn't select brake on the speedy!!! Grrr.... ( new to electric gliding.. i've normally been playing with Turbine Jets.... Its a differnet world lol Im enjoying it so far)

I also have never owner a V-tail and somehow im not to sure i managed to reverse the rudder direction... when i landed i had a look and ofcourse it looked wrong, so im not sure what i did there hahahaha ..

How have you placed your Speedy and barryer and receiver etc.... as i couldn't help but have the speedy next to the rx and i did get many interference hits...

No thermals as yet but im working on it hahahah

Thanks Again

Michael
Old 10-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Brian3006

Hi all I flew my E-hawk last week and it was great , My speedy sits next to the lipo which is mounted on its side , i found this way there is heaps of room for my 3s 2100 packs . One thing i did do was to dial in a small amount of elevator trim so the hawk would rise at full power and this seemed to help when launching . I also give all my models a chuck into the wind "no stalls this way" .
I love how this bird just floats around the sky , I had a flight of about 40 minuts the other day and still had heaps of power left in my lipo.
Next thing im trying is downsizing my lipo to a 1500 mah pack and see if she glides even longer ?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Tinkrerpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Well from the sounds of it, I got mine just in time. Glad to see you guys are having fun with them. Should have mine ready for this weekend.

citation560v, Glad to see you try something a little different in this hobby. Jets can be a lot of fun, but the gliders give you some relaxation time for the simpler things in the hobby. Great that you are having a good time with it. And yes by all means, if you have questions, ASK! Welcome to the world of gliders. powered or otherwise.

Rockitglider, What size servos are you going to use in the wings for the ailerons? If it lands that quick the spoilerons would be a great advantage. Sounds like a great little pocket bird for those impromptu jaunts around the field.

Brian3006, Glad to hear that the 2100 packs will fit. I bought mine at the LHS, ordered it a couple of weeks ago. When I went to pick it up, there was a 1050 mah battery pack that came with it. I was told that it was part of the package deal from Thunder Tiger at the time. So I will fly it with this pack and see what it does. My normal flying is with the bigger glider over 100 inchs. But this should be some fun too.

So, with enough said. Lokking forwaard to what you guys think about this model and where the improvements can be. KNowing that there is not much at there on it at this time. Clear skies and happy thermals.

tink