Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

melody 1500 with twin edfs

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:32 PM
onehot69stepside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default melody 1500 with twin edfs

i got my wheels turning lastnight thinking about putting twin edfs on an old kyosho melody 1500 that my dad had but never flew it even once.

What size edf's would be good? Would i be able to get enough thrust out of anything light to get it to take off from pavement if i added landing gear?

I also want to add ailerons to it.

Any suggestiobns?
Old 09-22-2008, 03:42 PM
spiral_72

Default RE: melody 1500 with twin edfs

What kind of performance are you looking for? Unlimited vertical? Or just get it in the air?
Old 09-23-2008, 03:09 PM
onehot69stepside

Not blistering performance. I definitely want to go brushless. And I think I want to go with twins rather than one big edf. If its possible, Id like enough performance to get it to take off from a paved runway if I add landing gear to it. Thats all i really want out of it is to get it to take off from a runway.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:44 AM
spiral_72

I was looking for he weight of this model on the internet. I haven't found it yet. What I did find was it looks like parts are not available for this plane.

Check it for yourself, but with the relatively low cost of planes such as this, you might consider hanging it up to look nice and modify a newer model. With a mod like this, there's going to be a bit of a learing curve until it flies successfully. I'd hate to hear you mangled a wing and were stuck after all that work and no parts available.

If you insist though, any idea what it weighs? You'll be adding two ESC's for brushless or one larger ESC for brushed EDF, a battery and a servo (or two) for the ailerons.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:11 AM
spiral_72

This one weighs 1oz and generates 2oz of thrust (brushed) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHHP1&P=7

weighs 1.1oz generates 2.5oz thrust http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHHP2&P=7

weighs 1.1oz generates 3oz thrust http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHHP5&P=7

I think this one will work: I don't know the weight of the unit (2oz?), but it generates 4.75oz thrust at 7.2V so you could use a 2cell 900mA Lipo. It looks like it's brushed so you'd probably use one 15A ESC. As a wild guess your plane weighs 12-16oz???? so with 9oz of thrust you should get a good climb rate. You'll have to get the heat sink for another $1.50

The third one might work. The fans are probably lighter which will help a bit with the lower output.

I think I'd go for about 50% the weight of your model for thrust. The fans, ESC, and battery will add maybe 6oz to the model. The Lipo will replace the stock battery (NiCd?). With drag you'll get maybe a 30 degree climb.

Someone else chime in. Tell me if I'm wrong.