Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Big Bird Wing Sheer webbing

Old 10-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Bfan479
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bird Wing Sheer webbing

Can anyone that has built this Big Bird tell me if the sheer webbing on the wing goes from bay 1 to the last bay on the wing tip? The plans show from bay 1 to bay 6 on the main section. There are no pic's I can find on the Skybench site. The manual isn't of much help. The other models posted on their site have a few wing pic's and they appear to be in each bay??? Any advise is appreciated!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:32 PM
KevinSheen

Default RE: Big Bird Wing Sheer webbing

I put mine all the way to the tip. Closer to the wing root, those webs are the ply joiner box but from there, the balsa webs go to the tip.

Here is a pretty good picture (not mine):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1671739

Old 10-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Bfan479

Thanks for the pic's and tips! That will help. It doesn't look like there's enough of the sheer piece to do the entire wing so I'll cut some new ones. It looks like the wing will be much strong doing this way with only a little extra weight. Thanks....
Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 AM
KevinSheen

I would completely agree about the minimal weight gain. With the help of the leading edge sheeting and the boxed spar, a D tube is formed and that not only helps with the strength from root to tip but also helps with the torsional strength as well. You should actually have more than enough webbing to do the entire wing but it you don't, they are pretty simple to cut, just keep the wood grain correctly oriented.

good luck and update the thread occasionally, I for one am interested in your progress.

Kevin
Old 11-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Bfan479

ORIGINAL: KevinSheen

I would completely agree about the minimal weight gain. With the help of the leading edge sheeting and the boxed spar, a D tube is formed and that not only helps with the strength from root to tip but also helps with the torsional strength as well. You should actually have more than enough webbing to do the entire wing but it you don't, they are pretty simple to cut, just keep the wood grain correctly oriented.

good luck and update the thread occasionally, I for one am interested in your progress.

Kevin
The 3/8" sheer web filler pieces are installed from bay 1 thru 6 per the plans. Should they be continued from Bay 7 to the tip and then glue the sheer webs to them from root to tip? Or just use the sheer webs from bay 7 to the tip without the 3/8" filler pieces? Thanks......