Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

AR 500 receiver

Old 10-16-2008, 12:40 PM
mgm52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AR 500 receiver

Is the Specktrum AR500 really a full range receiver . I am building a light glider and do not trust the micro light park flyer receivers. I would always be worrying if I got too high I would loose signal. Anyone a have any experience with the AR500 . Why the long antenna on one side I thought the short antennas were tuned to 2.4

"Spektrum’s AR500 is a full range receiver ideal for sport aircraft pilots who are looking for simple, reliable 2.4GHz DSM2™ technology"

Thanks Mike
Old 10-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Hatzman

Default RE: AR 500 receiver

DSM2 means full range. That is, as far as you can see.

The antenna is like that (short antenna and long) to mimic the placement of a remote receiver antenna as is seen with other receivers such as the AR 6200. Only the last two or so inches of the long side actually aacts as an antenna.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:42 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Bill is right.

BTW, I have used an AR6100 in my Easy Glider and taken it very high and very far out with absolutely no problems.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:45 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Bill_Francis

DSM2 means full range. That is, as far as you can see.

The antenna is like that (short antenna and long) to mimic the placement of a remote receiver antenna as is seen with other receivers such as the AR 6200. Only the last two or so inches of the long side actually aacts as an antenna.
That long antenna looks like a "balun" antenna (balanced/unbalanced). I have an AR 500 in my Parkzone Corsair but didn't notice that cause the long wire is tucked back into the tail.

I'm very glad to see Spektrum is trying this antenna configuration and I hope they'll offer another unit with TWO of these style antennas like the FASST systems RX's have. I just bought a Futaba system chiefly cause the balun antennas are a lot easier to set up in full carbon glider/hotliner type airframes.

BTW, DSM2 does not necessarily mean "Full Range" as in getting a good long range check. The AR6100 is a DSM2 RX and that's a very short range RX. DSM2 refers to the proprietary data processing scheme Spektrum employs which yields a faster response data link than the previous DX6 and virtually all 72 MHz systems allow.

I did a thread a while back which proved the older AR6000 RX has a much better range check than the AR6100. Although DSM (DX6 and the AR6000) is considered inferior to DSM2, I still use many of the 6000 receivers in RC planes where size and weight is a concern and I want all 6 channels, and I'll keep on buying these great little RX's ($50 each) until a better 6 channel option is offered by Spektrum (hopefully with TWO balun antennae!)
Old 10-18-2008, 10:57 AM
elmog

I have the AR6000E, AR6200 and AR7000. I use the AR6000E in my beach sloper that doesn't get specked out. I have tested it about a 1/4 mile out and had no issues with reception so I have complete confidence in it for the application it's used. The other two are full range receivers that I fly to the limits of my vision (thermal gliders). Never had a problem with any of the Specktrum Rx's. Just follow the guidance offered by the manufacturer and you'll be fine. Jim

Old 11-14-2008, 04:31 PM
sidav

hi quick question would you use a ar600 in a ic model cheers
Old 11-15-2008, 12:25 AM
wind junkie

ORIGINAL: sidav

hi quick question would you use a ar600 in a ic model cheers
You mean glo fuel? Sure I don't see why not if I only needed 5 channels or less. I'd most likely choose the AR6000 or 6200 if I wanted separate ailerons though due to most TX programs needing channel 6 for the second aileron.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:15 PM
crispinchurch

the ar500 has a second ailon input /aux channel and all mixing you can need
the ar6001 limit is about 300meters on test with plane about meter off ground
the ar500 work at least half mile ( i crashed that far out )
on the ar500 the long antenna make the end of it go 90 degree to the short one
and ar6200 if you can see it you got signal
just remember to have the rubber duck on tx pointing straight up to sky
but yer great peice of kit
Old 08-19-2009, 06:42 AM
wind junkie

ORIGINAL: crispinchurch

the ar500 has a second ailon input /aux channel and all mixing you can need
The TX determines the mixing. I don't understand what you mean by that. I have some planes that use the AR500 for dual ailerons (independently as spoilerons), but I needed to assign the "gear" channel for ailerons. (easy for the JR 9303, but not all TX's allow assignable mating channels)
Old 08-19-2009, 11:57 PM
elmog

I've used the AR500 in my 102" Multiplex Pilatus B4 Bingo that has a fiberglass fuse and have thermaled nearly to spec height with no reception problems whatsoever. I trust it as much as my AR7000 for full-range duty. It is a 5 channel receiver and thus limited for full-house sailplanes but works great for most everything else. My B4 has a single center-mounted servo for the ailerons, rudder, elevator and spoilers. The AR500 will easily handle this with the spoilers on the gear or throttle channel. At $59 it's the cheapest full-range rx that Specktrum offers. The best price I've found so far is online Todd's. I've also had good luck with the AR6200 if used within it's parameters. 300 meters (900+ feet) is good enough for my PSS Mustang that I've flown fly at Pt. Fermin, a sloping spot on the California coast that proves your trust in your equipment as retrieval can be very difficult. Most supposed range problems I believe are self-inflicted by misunderstanding system basics. Hope this helps. Jim

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97059.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	593.2 KB
ID:	1259643