Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Astro 05 brushless

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 12:27 PM
dhansen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Astro 05 brushless

Hi All.

A couple years ago I got a box full of "junk" (hehe) at a hobby shop yard sale. One of the items was an Astro Flight 05 brushless motor with planetary gearbox and speed controller. I've looked around the 'net a little bit but haven't found much info on different planes that it might be used in.

I'm hoping someone here might have experience with this motor/gearbox and could suggest a nice aircraft/prop/battery combo that has worked well for them. I'm not interested in outrageous performance, just a good general use powered glider.

Thanks and TIA, Dennis in Maine.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:25 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Astro 05 brushless

The motor/gearbox would be a great power system for a glider. Check out the Astro Flight website. Google Astroflight. sorry I don't have thir web address handy.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:10 AM
dhansen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jolly.

I have checked out the website. Unless I've missed something, they don't seem to offer specific suggestions as to what the "ideal" (if that is possible) sort of glider would work well with this setup.

Being new to electrics, I'm not familiar with all the variables involved in choosing the best airframe, prop and battery to work with the 05 Brushless and gearbox.

If it were an IC engine, I could just look at it and have a pretty good idea of how it might perform!

Dennis
Old 12-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dennis:

I have one of them that's not working, gotta send it in for repair. I'm thinking about someday putting it in a Goldberg Electra, with a big LiPo battery. Should climb like a homesick angel.