Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Hobbycity ASW 28 glider

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 02:36 AM
scalejet
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbycity ASW 28 glider

Hello guy i am totally new to this scale glider ,my first glider was the greatplane spirit that i modified to elec power.But now i am into the scale glider bug LOL.anyway i am looking to get the hobbyking ASW 28 ,i am wondering has anyone convert this to elec spec yet?I can't seem to get any info in this site here ,so wonder if anyone has convert this to an electric can share this intresting info ,another one is the DC 1000 102"ARF ,wonder what is the different between this two scale glider ?which is the good one to get ?greatly appericiate if someone can help .thx
Old 12-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Ranfred Radius
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hobbycity ASW 28 glider

Here's a lengthy thread over on rcgroups about the ASW28(Aero Fever) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694339
This model as well as the DG1000 are easy to convert to electric. Just whack off the nose and stick a little Axi outrunner in them! The Quality is a little hit and miss with these models. But hey, for under $200.00 what do ya expect!?
Old 12-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Flyfalcons

I electrified a 157" semi-scale slope glider as well. All you need to do is figure out how big of a motor you need, and cut the nose off to fit it properly. Keep in mind what spinner size you want to run as well. After hacking off the nose I shaped a 1/4" plywood firewall and glued it in from the inside with epoxy. A little sanding to get the spinner to line up nicely with the fuselage and a couple cooling holes up front for the motor/batt/ESC and you have an electric glider. I think my conversion turned out pretty well:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99936.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1088170  
Old 12-12-2008, 11:55 PM
scalejet

Hey guy thx for the report,the ASW 28 and the DC 1000 both dosen't have to cut off the nose ,it's specially make for elec glider for only $129.00 USD both has very good potential for elec convention .I have never fly any of this big scale glider are they fun and easy to fly ,the wing seem skinny anyway they call for 38MM motor upfront ,what will be the best choice for this application and the ESC wil 40 amp work find ?
Old 12-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Flyfalcons

If they are recommending a 38mm motor then you may have a tough time getting an outrunner to fit properly. I would look at the available inrunner motors with gearboxes for your application. My guess for that size glider would be a motor that produces around 500 watts or so for a decent climb to altitude. You may need to run a higher rated ESC than 40 amps. These big gliders fly well, are easy to see, and are impressive in the air.

You might want to look into this motor. It may not give a great climb rate but it should be good enough to get you to altitude. It should also work with your 40-amp ESC. For reference, my big glider is about 11 pounds and my motor setup produces 1200 watts of power. The glider climbs out at about 45 degrees at a very good rate of climb.

http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=277
Old 12-15-2008, 10:21 PM
scalejet

Ryan what do u think for this set up AXI 2826http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4909&Product_Name=TR_35-48-C_800kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Eq:_AXi_2826 ,I am thinking for this set up with this motor and 40esc with paraller batt set up2x- 3s1p 1800 = 3600 mimah for longer flight time with 11x5 or 11x7 folding prop ,what do u think ryan
Old 12-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Flyfalcons

I don't have any personal experience with the 2826 but I have read good things about it. That size motor should work well on your glider.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Ranfred Radius
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: rocketman47

Here's a lengthy thread over on rcgroups about the ASW28(Aero Fever) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694339
This model as well as the DG1000 are easy to convert to electric. Just whack off the nose and stick a little Axi outrunner in them! The Quality is a little hit and miss with these models. But hey, for under $200.00 what do ya expect!?
scalejet,
The thread I sent you to over on rc groups is not mine. I do have an Aerofever ASW28. My 28 is a 3 meter manufactured by LET.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69849.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1091451