Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Looking to get my first sailplane - suggestions?

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Looking to get my first sailplane - suggestions?

Old 12-26-2008, 03:04 PM
JohnnyChemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get my first sailplane - suggestions?

I've been flying sport .40's for a few years now, and I've been thinking about getting into some type of sailplane.

I'd like to get some recommendations. I've got all the radio gear for flying glow planes of course, will that be sufficient?

I'd like to get one of the electric motor/folding prop jobs, they seem like the easiest to get going. I know we've got some good
thermals around our flying field, so something geared to that type of flying would seem to be best to me. Oh yeah...while I like building,
I don't have as much time for it as I used to, so I'd like to go with a decent ARF.

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Ranfred Radius
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking to get my first sailplane - suggestions?

Here ya go! http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSBS8&P=ML

I know it looks speedy and it is, to a certain extent. I have flown a friend's Cularis and it performes quite well! It goes together real easy and is quite docile!
Old 12-26-2008, 05:19 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get almost the same plane from united hobbies for half the price (89.99) and that includes 4 servos, motor, ESC, and prop. Same plane. Slightly smaller, same basic construction (Elapor foam), just no flaps.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...RTF_Glider_EPO
Old 12-26-2008, 09:26 PM
TRAXXAS829

The best package all around: The Parkzone Radian.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4700

A beauty in the air. Comes with a brushless motor, and Spektrum radio system. It's a great thermalling machine.

Andy
Old 12-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Ranfred Radius
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

You can get almost the same plane from united hobbies for half the price (89.99) and that includes 4 servos, motor, ESC, and prop. Same plane. Slightly smaller, same basic construction (Elapor foam), just no flaps.

Thats a heck of a deal! Although, I have found that it is not worth it to mess around with anything under 2 metres(unless it's a moulded F5b rocket!) The Cularis is almost 3 metres in span..
Old 12-26-2008, 11:42 PM
qldviking

My first glider was a Global easy answer, kit built and modded with a cobalt 50 brushed motor etc on 10 cell pack. it was a great set up and flight of 1hour or more were common. 2m ws, was a good 1st glider which I enjoyed immensly
Old 12-26-2008, 11:47 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

If you are going to use the standard servos you already have for your 40s I would go with a 3 meter span bird.
An Oly III would be fine but there are a LOT of options out there. Pop over to RC groups and search for "beginers building / flying" for some really good info from Ed Anderson aka AEAJR on the web. Also look up Eastern Soaring League's site.
gliders are a whole new world of R/C that many enjoy as a balance to all the noisy stuff. I like both But the first time you catch a thermal you will be hooked!
Old 01-06-2009, 09:58 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

Evan,

You should note that that plane is nothing like a Cularis. The Cularis is 100", while that is 78.X. the Cularis is full house while that is ailerons only. The Cularis is made of Elapor and the Hobby City plane is not. Elapor is a brand name foam only available from Multiplex. That plane is made of EPO, a different foam with different characteristics. I don't know if the Hobby City plane is any good but it is not similar to a Cularis. The price is good, for sure.

JohnnyChemo,

You have told us nothing about your budget. So we can recommend ARFs for $100 or $1000. What is your budget?

If you want a plane to get you quickly into the air, the ParkZone Radian is a very good package, it is available locally and it well supported by local hobby shops.

It is available as a receiver ready model. You suppy the receiver, battery and charger. $159 If you want to use your radio, if you have lipo charger and batteries, this is the way to go. You could use an 8-10 cell NimH pack but I don't know if it would fit and it would be much heavier.

Or it is available RTF which includes everything and a 2.4 GHz Spektrum radio system too. This is a great value at $250. You can roll down to the local hobby store that sells electric planes and pick one up today.

Climb is strong. Soaring ability is very good. Hard to break and Easy to fix.

Your standard size servos are going to be too big and heavy for most gliders. In a glider, reducing weight is very valuable in providing good thermal soaring performance. If on the other hand if you are focused on slope soaring, the weight can be a good thing and we might recommend different gliders.

If you prefer more of an ARF, than the Easy Glider Pro would be a good recommendation. It is a kit but being foam it is a very quick build. You pick the motor, ESC, prop and battery, or buy the ones they recommend. Your standard size servos will be too big but your receiver will work.

If you prefer something in a wood or composite ARF you will find quite a selection here:
http://www.nesail.com/categories.php...07513dd24615bd

or

http://www.soaringusa.com/products/s...ategory_id=266

Old 01-07-2009, 06:31 PM
lehrscott4

I have to agree. The parkzone radian is where its at. I recently got one and have never been so impressed. This thing is a blast. Get the PNP version and use your existing reciever and tx. Thats what i did and it saved me $100 bucks over the RTF.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:29 PM
qldviking

I dont know much about the newer types out today, I am still flying my older gliders, (brushed motors even [X(]) but ozmo is right, catch that first thermal and you're hooked for sure
Old 01-09-2009, 11:24 PM
ama951

I started with a Olympic 650 (1981) and found it to be very durable. Although, they are hard to find and require some building time. The Parkzone PNP are nice to puchase, if you are looking to see if this your cup of tea. Best of Luck.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:52 AM
phillipmorris

2 meter size is a nice size to start, still large enough to have fun and the better models thermal with ease and can fly them in smaller areas after your use to their flight handling, can fly my Radian now in just over a block area, but certainly needs loads of room on the maiden ventures with its impressive long glide...

I started with a heavy ship called a Top Cat years past, all solid wing but in stronger lift flew very well, back then not unusual to have a small engine as .049 on the centered on the top wing and 2 minute ride gave nice altitude...<>..

All this topic covered very well, will add the Radian PNP or RTF depending on your choice is todays winner and performance is off the chart, a beauty....

BEST ..<>...
Old 02-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

The Cularis is a nice sailplane, but it's price is too close to some nice sailplanes with fiberglass fuselages and built up wings. I would recommend an Easy Glider Pro.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:24 PM
lorenzofgrs
My Feedback: (-1)

ICARE from canada has interesting stuff
Old 02-09-2009, 12:16 AM
mikejbb

My first sailplane was an Easy Glider Pro electric, I got it just before winter last year so I've only flown it 25 times or so. I love it. You won't be disappointed. I used 3 cell lipos and burned the motor out mid flight on my last flight of the year so I'm putting in a brushless that I have laying around for my super cub. It won't burn up and the fly time will be forever. I've been caught in thurmals and it's wonderful. Even my super cub was lifted out of sight 2 times. One time I got her back and I time I found her in someones back yard a long ways away, lucky! Anyway the easy glider pro electric is a very good first sailplane.

Mike
Old 02-09-2009, 04:51 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Intersting that this thread was started in December, but the original poster has ignored it.