Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Cox Dust Devil

Old 03-18-2009, 08:24 PM
snobelt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox Dust Devil

Have any of you looked at the Cox Dust Devil? I've read some good reviews but would like opinions from this forum. This is a pretty basic glider - Vee tail, RES, glass fuselage and built up wing. Needs a motor selection, radio and servos.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:04 AM
Tinkrerpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Cox Dust Devil

Try this one. There have been a few threads come and go. Great plane for the money. The nose is a little short. So you will need some weight up front to balance. You can also check the threads over at RC Groups also. I belive there have been two or three reviews on the DD. Sort of one of those under rated models that flies exceptionally well.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_79...tm.htm#7982881

tink
Old 03-19-2009, 08:10 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Dust Devil. Like it! On a 300 watt motor on a 10X7 it goes straight up. On a 150 watt it provides a nice 45 degree climb. Soars well. Packs up back into the box at the end of the day for easy safe transport.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:48 PM
snobelt

Thanks much. I've been all over the map deciding a glider to start with. This may be it. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:25 PM
snobelt

aeajr - On your Dust Devil, did you decide to use the throttle channel for the motor or for the spoiler? If I understand correctly, the instructions call for using it for the spoiler and to use a switch channel for motor on/off - which I gather means you will have either full throttle or none. It would be nice if I had a forth proportional channel with a slider or knob but my system doesn't have it. Of course there is the unused rudder channel but I can't envision how I might use it for either the motor or the spoiler. I'm interested in how you approached it.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:34 PM
aeajr

I fly a Futaba 9C 9 channel radio. Throttle on the stick and spoiler on a side slider.

If I knew what radio you had I might be able to make a suggestion. Assuming itis a basic 4 channel Hitec or Futaba radio

Rudder on 1 (right stick)
Elevator 2 (right stick)
Throttle on 3 - usual spot
Spoiler on 4 - activated by side motion of the left stick.

You won't use the spoiler a lot, but it can come in handy.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:45 PM
snobelt

I have an Airtronics RDS8000 FHSS - 8 channels but only four with proportional. The other channels are switch only. The RDS has good mixing options for gliders - I'm currently using the delta mixing for a ZAGI and assume I would use the same for a VEE tail. Still not sure what to do with the throttle/spoiler issue. I sure would like to have both functions on a proportional but if I can only have one, which would you pick?
Old 03-21-2009, 04:09 AM
Tinkrerpilot

Hmmmm, sounds like someone can use a new radio to go with a new plane.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:21 AM
aeajr

Assuming you are using Mode 2 radio.

If this is a R/E plane with a V tail, and you want it all on the right stick, you would use the delta/elevon mix. This mixes aileron to elevator.

Throttle on left stick

Put the spoiler on a 3 way switch. Use the flaps to elevator mix. Or it might be called the landing mix. You won't need much. Maybe 1" of travel on the spoiler.

All set

See how easy it is when you give us all the information.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 PM
snobelt

Thanks guys - I appreciate the help. I expect to order the Dust Devil soon and will keep you posted on my progress.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:45 AM
snobelt

Tinkerpilot - I lived in Portland for a couple years and have driven by the Puyallup exit more than a few times but never took the exit. Living where you do, you must have more than a few good slope sites. Envy on my part. It's pretty flat here in SE Wisconsin but when we get an east wind the bluffs over lake Michigan are pretty good. Gotta go for the electric for now so I can fly on the flats and on calm days. My RDS800 is only a year old so I need to use it since my choice is another radio or a glider. It's actually a pretty good radio and my other planes are programmed in and all work well with it. Tough decisions in this hobby - always debating on paying the mortgage or buying another hobby toy. Wife usually wins the debate. Anyway, thanks for the comments.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:51 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: snobelt

Thanks guys - I appreciate the help. I expect to order the Dust Devil soon and will keep you posted on my progress.
Had my Dust Devil out yesterday for an F5J style electric soaring contest. Did great. I came in second only because I have not had that much time on the plane and was having trouble landing it precisely. I need to work on the landing mix.

I ran it on the 10X7 prop on a 3 cell using the Rimfire motor. In an F5J you want the best climb you can get.

If you are interested in what kind of format this is, you can read about it here.
http://www.lisfsoar.proboards.com/in...lectriccontest
Old 03-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Tinkrerpilot

snobelt

We have a few good places to fly slope but nothing really big in the Puyallup area. Although with some of the smaller birds we do have some mini areas to fly. You know, drain reservoirs, sides of warehouses, some of the residential areas on the valley sides. Hour long flights with a Bridi Tercel is always god. Go with the Dust Devil and have a ball. Its a great flying model and underrated by most. I enjoy mine. It is a good flying model and will do most everything you want it too. Lets us know when you start putting it all together. Post a thread and have some fun.

aeajr

Always there with the load of great information. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:50 PM
glennw

I checked out the Dust Devil pictures and this looks like something I would like to play with in my yard.
( live in the country and have 25 acres of field to play on ). When I went to the Cox site I couldn't find it anywhere. Where can I buy one?
Thanks in advance for info
Cheers
Old 03-24-2009, 06:38 AM
Tinkrerpilot

Would be a good starter place. Check your local Hobby Shops. If not then do a search. I have had mine for a about a year and half now. May be a little tougher to find.

Hopefully some of the other guys will chime in with where they got theirs.

http://www.quicktechhobby.com/Mercha...ory_Code=ECOXA

A few post taken from the other site for options

http://www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006103
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/...?idProduct=4910
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/...?idProduct=3730
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/...?idProduct=6597
Old 03-24-2009, 05:32 PM
snobelt

glenw - yeah - I've looked all over for one too. The COX web site is NOT user friendly - when I do a search on the site it comes back with "not found" - maybe they don't make it anymore. I did use the links provided by tinkrerpilot and came up the same thing - "not found" I have not been able to find one anywhere. Could try e-bay - maybe a used one out there.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I too am interested in the Cox Dust Devil. I found it at one site (QTH) but I'm not too sure how reliable they are. They have had some issues in the past. Nowhere on their website can I find a USPS address. I don't think I would order from them. The search goes on.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:19 PM
snobelt

If I could figure out how to notify COX that people are interested in the Dust Devil they could probably make some sales. I have tried their phone as well but only get recorded messages at the sales number and no response at all at the customer service number. Are they still in business?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:36 PM
glennw

Thanks for the info guys. I have tried to contact Cox by phone myself to no avail.Guess I'll have to look elsewhere. As an aside,my first radio was a Cox 2 channel which I put into a Graupner Amigo11 2 meter sailplane which was great. I would tow it up by hand runnig backwards and had wonderful flights with it. The hunt continues.
Cheers
Old 03-25-2009, 06:03 AM
Tinkrerpilot

Geeez! It sounds more like a bad dream with you guys not finding this kit around someplace. I am really surprised the Cox is out of stock on it at this time. They are usually pretty good. And not being able to find it someplace else. This kit was really popular just a few months ago and now nothing. What is wrong with this industry????? Will do some more searching around. You guys will be the first to know. Don't give up just yet.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:39 AM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cox is dead. They were bought out by Pica awhile back[]
Old 03-25-2009, 08:13 AM
aeajr

I flew the Dust Devil in an F5J soaring contest on Sunday. What a great time I had, and the Dust Devil did very well.

I have too much spoiler. Going to need to reduce that.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Tinkrerpilot

aeajr

Any ideas as to where these gentlemen may find and procure a Dust Devil. It seems they have run there course and now noboady carries them.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:35 PM
aeajr

Sorry, no. I know that they were carried in my local hobby store. Willis Hobbies, on Willis Ave in Mineola, NY. He had one that last time Iwas there.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:50 AM
Tinkrerpilot

Thanks aeajr. Was just a thought that would have helped these guys in some small way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.