Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Soaring in my back yard

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Terry Glenn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soaring in my back yard

Ok, lets not all laugh out loud at once, with these questions
I would like to find a kit build that is not huge, and can easily be thrown and then flown.
I would love to chase and fly with all the hawks that hang around in the back field.

I did build a gentle lady, many yrs ago, but that even seems to be a little big for what i want to do.
maybe I just can't do it with a small plane.
Any thoughts would be great.

Keep in mind I am just returning to flying, and in the process of building a GP PT 40 gas, but converting it to electric.

Thanks
Terry
Old 03-20-2009, 10:48 AM
scaflock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Soaring in my back yard

There are several kits that could be used for what you want to do. A House of Balsa 2X6 with a small brushless system would do the trick and be a bit smaller than the GL. The 2X6 is rugged, very easy to build and is a very under rated plane. For just knockin around it's great. You'll never win any speed matches with it but I get the feeling that's not what your out to do.

On a 2X6 I'd suggest something like a E-flight 10 with a 2cell lipo pack and a matching ESC. That with a folding prop would give you plenty of power.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:17 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=2085
Old 03-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Samson4721

what about a fling? A little under 50" wingspan. I'm considering one
Old 03-21-2009, 04:12 AM
Tinkrerpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Fun airplane for the size. Great for those little impromptu flying times. I have two that are always ready to go. Great for flinging at the local school. The little hi-start that they have is great for the bigger fields to play in. Have fun catching those low level thermals.
Really anything 60 inches and above would be good. Even some of the new micro flyers could be used.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Cloudsoarer

Terry, it sounds like a hand-launched glider would fit the bill. The current crop are side-arm (SAL) or discus launched (DLG) to a height of 30-50 metres. Still air time is 45-60 seconds. They come in three size classes - 750, 1000 and 1525 mm wing spans. Wing construction can be built up balsa, solid balsa or foam.
Some entry level kits would include:
* DL-50 from Mountain Models ($79)
* Liftworx Swyft, ($89)
* Steelhead FRY MKII ($43) (Short kit MkI only $15!)
* Mountain Models Quick Flick II ($74)
* Wright Brothers Gambler ($75)
There are also many free plans available for scratch building - the Apogee 36 or 40 inch being a classic example ('Sport' also available as a kit).
These gliders require miniature 2 channel RC gear (<50gms) but readily available at low cost.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83464.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1162450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52432.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	1162451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35995.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1162452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp40096.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	1162453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa34935.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1162454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tk76181.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1162455  
Old 03-26-2009, 05:01 AM
Tinkrerpilot

Cloudsoarer

Nice selection of models. I was looking at the Steelhead fry kit. Any of these would be ideal for what he is looking for. With a little fine tuning they could be powered with some of the small brushless motors too.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Terry Glenn

Cloudsoarer:
Thanks very much, I think those aer just what i am looking for.
will do some more looking, and see what I can ind with maybe a small mtr, so as to get into the air a little easier, on those dead days.

When you said 45 + seconds Is that really all the flying time I could expect.
Thanks much for all your input.
Terry
Old 03-30-2009, 06:40 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Terry Glenn

Ok, lets not all laugh out loud at once, with these questions
I would like to find a kit build that is not huge, and can easily be thrown and then flown.
I would love to chase and fly with all the hawks that hang around in the back field.

I did build a gentle lady, many yrs ago, but that even seems to be a little big for what i want to do.
maybe I just can't do it with a small plane.
Any thoughts would be great.

Keep in mind I am just returning to flying, and in the process of building a GP PT 40 gas, but converting it to electric.

Thanks
Terry
First question is how big is your yard? 100X100 or 2000X2000?

Are you on a farm? Are there a lot of trees? What kind of clear space do you have?

Are there a lot of houses close by?

If you are seriously looking at flying in your yard and it is not super big and there are houses close by, then I would definately go electric. The motor acts as a safety back-up to get you back to the yard. It might even help you avoid some trees.

The Parkzone Radian would be a good choice for an acre sized back yard.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:56 AM
Cloudsoarer

Hand Launch gliders are for the purist - motors are anathema to glider pilots! Just as RTF are shunned by dedicated hobbyists.
If you want to soar with the hawks, these are what you need. What could be better than letting them teach you where the lift is and to compete to see who can climb the highest? No noise, worrying about heavy batteries and electronics, just your skill, muscle, a lightweight glider and nature. With a bit of practice and the hawks to show you how, you will soon be far exceeding 'dead air' times.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 PM
yellowstoneflyer

Terry, look at the skeeter by dynaflight
cost about $30. from tower
keep weight around 12 oz
i have 2 & they fly slope & off the line , never tried hand launch though.

Leslie McBirnie yellowstone flyer
Old 04-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Terry Glenn

Thanks for the info;
I have about 100yd x 100yd back yard, and a 50 acre field to play in.
Where might I find the plane you referred to?

To all other responders.
Again thank you all very much,l this is quite a learning experience.

Terry
Old 04-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Tinkrerpilot

Here are a couple that I have been flying.

2 Channel RC EP 1.2M DLG Thermo Glider
http://www.r2hobbies.com//products.php?cat=101

Baby Fly from Soaring USA
http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=257

F5J - Baby Fly E from Soaring USA
http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=267
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87726.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	1174393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92192.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	1174394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42368.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1174395  
Old 04-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Terry Glenn

Thanks Tinkrerpilot. I like the electric baby e.
About how much time do you get in the air?

I need to do some research on motors and batteries.
Thanks much.
Terry
Old 04-08-2009, 03:51 AM
Tinkrerpilot

Terrry,

Climbs great on the 20-20l and 10X6 prop. Floats in really sweet on landing. No bad habits either. Getting over an hour flying time. Spend more time thermal hunting. Used what i had sitting here to stuf in this one.

oyazi's build is pretty nice to. First rate construction for what he did in the mod department. Worth a look.

Here are the post for the Baby Fly E.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=baby+fly+e

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661985
Old 04-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Terry Glenn

Tinker;
What is a 20-20I motor.
I am just getting into the electric side, and there seems to be way too many different codes and what not for the various motors. In gas you knew cuz of the size were all in cc.

Thanks for the info, and i think this will be the one, just trying to get a motor that I might be able to use in several different planes.
Thanks again
Terry
Old 04-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Tinkrerpilot

Terry,

That is the model for Hacker motors. Somwhere there is a list that shows all the motors that compare to each other and what their counterparts are or similar items. Himax shows one for the model to and it is the one the Soaring USA recommends in the Baby Fly E.
I went with the motors that I had on hand instead. There is also enough of the guys here that can offer up help as you go to. It does take time to learn all the ins and outs but you never learn everything. Its in constant chan daily. Best thing to do is ask the questions. Yoiu will get an answer.

Lyle
Old 04-08-2009, 07:00 AM
aeajr

Thanks for the info;

To all other responders.

Terry

So you have a small yard and a big field.

In the yard, assumig it is not full of trees, you can fly slow fly electric planes and helicopters. You might be able to fly some of the DLGs listed in post 6, but I would not think that would be much fun in such a small space.

Slow stick brushless - foam kit
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTRH4&P=7
Tiger Moth
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHCJ9&P=7
Vapor
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3300
ember
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3400

Now, if you have 50 acres of open space you have a different situation. That is plenty of room for most small to medium sized electric planes. It is probably plenty of room to set up a hi-start and fly a pure glider.

But you sound like you want quick convenience with no set-up time for a big launching system.

The Fling would be good. Small ARF that can be hand launched or comes with its own mini hi-start
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGVW2&P=7

That space will accomodate almost anything in the form of a glider.

The Skybench little bird would be a perfect kit. Set up the hi-start and up you go.
www.skybench.com
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE636&P=7

Just about any form of DLG would be excellent. The ones in post 6 would be good. And there are probably 100 more to choose with prices from $50 for a kit to $800 for an RTF. The Gambler is a nice kit and I am told the build is not bad at all.

For a quick, convenient thermal soaring glider you can't beat electric gliders like the Parkzone Radian. This is not a kit. It comes RTF or receiver ready. 2M, foam and it flies extremely well. R/E/Throttle only. But for thermal soaring that is all you need.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4775
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4700

For quality kits for electric sailplanes, try Skybench
The electric little bird or big bird would be great
http://www.skybench.com/slelect.html

For semi-ARFs that need more work than the typical ARF but less than the typical wood kit, try Art Hobby. They have a nice selection of e-gliders from 1.5 to 3M. All of which could be flown from your 50 acre site.
http://www.arthobby.com/shop.html

The next step is yours.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:25 PM
ec121

I flew a Radian on Sunday. $229 with a 2.4 radio. It really impressed me with its climb rate on 1300ma. It only weighs 23oz. Plus the duration of the battery. I think about 5 people took a turn on it and it still had power left. I am in the same situation. I have 20acres in my field and after that there is a big uninhabited valley. I fly in the evening when I don't have time to pack up and drive to the field. I have been flying an electrified Alpha Club but will look for a Radian to supplement it.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:19 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you considered converting one of these?
http://www.multiplex-rc.de/
It would certainly fly in your backyard. Many have been converted as pure glider, electric with a prop and electric with a small ducted fan unit on a pylon over the wing centre. They fly great and the airframe costs peanuts.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:14 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: aeajr

Thanks for the info;

To all other responders.

Terry
Terry, I just reread your post. You said 100 yd X 100 yd and I miss read it as ft.

That is roughly 2 football fields. You can accomodate a 1.5-3M electric glider in that space or you could set up small hi-start, say 50 feet of rubber and 200 feet of line. Stretch that out to 400 feet along the diagnal of the yard. You can get a pretty good launch with a 1.5-3M pure glider.

The challenge will be the landing, especially if there are high trees our buildings around the edges. The larger the bird the more room you will want, especially when you are new. I would not hesitate to land any RES, aileron or full house 3M glider there but if you are new to gliders you may find it a bit tight for something larger than 2M R/E only as it has no glide path control. Add spoilers, full with ailerons or flaps for glide path control and you can work in a smaller space.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:25 AM
motoxcz

Hi Tinkrerpilot,

Have you used the 1.2m fling from r2hobbies as a DLG and if so how well does it launch & fly? It is clear on their video they show a different model (maybe the great planes fling DLG) being launched and others have commented on potential lack of stability of this model during launch due to having no vertical stab below horizontal tailplane. At the price I was thinking of getting one as a convenient light winds slope soarer but it wuld be nice to know if it works as a DLG.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 11-24-2009, 12:33 PM
sailjunky

I vote fling for a simple 2m glider that will really let you learn to thermal its light easy to assemble and at 1000feet can still be seen. for the price is a great backyard glider........ Dont ruin a sailplane by putting a stinking engine in it ruins the fun.......... The thrill of getting your sailplane up as high as you can and being able to make it back to your landing is a thrill...
Old 11-25-2009, 07:36 AM
Tinkrerpilot

motoxcz

I find that the 1.5 does have a substandard rudder on it. But still a well made model for just lazy relaxed flying. My thoughts would be to increase the fin and rudder area.The intention for the model is fun and that is how I fly it. Not a young spring chicken anymore. It is not meant to be a composite all out competition model.
Would fly nicely on the slope. Thought about getting a second one and adding a motor to it. That is still in process. Yes, not the model they show in the video. Other then that, its a great model. If you want a good all round flyer. The Baby Fly would fill fill the bill there (middle picture in my previous post).

sailjunky

Granted a good 2 meter ship makes things a lot easier. I have several to play with. Just depends on the type of flying for the day and the location. Motors are added as an optional means for altitude when standard launch equipment cannot be used. Its just another means to get you airborne.

aeajr

Great information as usual. Thanks!

As for the comments to the Radian. Great entry level glider. Novice or expert. Good all around model for the price. Excellent fly ability in one package. Or for those that just want some relaxed flying with a good thermal seeker. There are many threads and posts to the pros and cons of this model. Do your own review and see. I did, and I bought one based on the comments and posts to the threads.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:02 AM
motoxcz

Hi, Thanks for all the replys,

I do have a couple of other rudder elevator gliders, a 2m and 1.4m plus a 3 channel easyglider.  From a flat field these are all winch or hi-start launched but I use them at the slope too.   I also have an electric Coyote as well which is fun and a little delta wing.  I find that sometimes I just need something small enough to chuck in the car which will fly in very light winds at a slope.  The idea of being able to get a bit more launch height with the DLG is attractive for when the wind really dies.  For the price I think I will just get one anyway and let you know how it goes.  I don't need high performance from it, just stick time to keep me happy when nothing else will stay up.  Lazy relaxed flying whilst overlooking fields (or a beach) is just my thing.  I'll let you know how I go with it.  I might look at extending the rudder down if I can easily do it but only if it proves to be too unstable on the launch.

Cheers,
Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.