Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

New Radian

Old 07-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Tom Nied

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: New Radian

I don't have an absolute answer for you. What you are describing is a video down link, both not particularly light or economical. I've been playing with a keyfob videos on my Radian, but it is for viewing at a later time. I've done Kite Aerial Photography where some of the guys use video downlinks, but again, not cheap, nor light. And once you do accumulate all necessary apparatus, you might find it way too fiddly to keep up and running. Not to mention the weight problem. So I'm thinking a heavier, stronger plane would be a more likeable candidate. It's an interesting objective that I once pursued while doing Kite Aerial Photography, but quickly decided it was more juggling of technology that I really wanted to pursue. Problems you will have is more batteries (weight), receivers, video monitors where you get to a point you wonder if it is really worth it. So good luck on your research. I just wonder if there might be a better and easier method to finding downed planes in the woods. KISS Principle, keep it simple stupid. Just my two cents. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:31 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There are many methods to find downed planes and I use them all.  

I fly a lot of contests where we push to the edge and sometimes don't make it back.

I teach a LOT of new pilots and they can get in trouble over the woods.  I spend too much time helping them find their planes.  

Looking at adding this to my bag of tools.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:30 PM
jloane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my third Radian Pro....first one developed a crack in the motor mount..returned to Horizon they replaced it..good for them. Second one had a catastrophic failure after about 40 flights..fuse broke in half right behind the motor mount! Prop and motor kept going into a woods. Never found them. Fuse and wings came down like a falling leaf. So I ordered a third. I love these planes even though there seems to be obvious issues in structural integrity. But after all, what do you expect out of a foam airplane? Still the best bang for a buck in this category of sailplane. Please do not discontinue this plane like you did my other favorite Horizon..the STRYKER.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 AM
SushiHunter

I've been flying glow planes for years and a few months back I purchased the Radian Pro. It's the first for me in respect to an aircraft made of foam, glider type and electric power plant. So far I've really enjoyed the differences it offers compared to the faster pace glow planes that I've been accustom to flying over the years. As others have mentioned in this thread previously, it's really nice to get the plane really high and glide around in the thermals, something I've not experienced with the pattern planes I've flown so much.

Every flight has been flawless in regards to mechanical and electrical. However, yesterday morning on New Year's Day, I went to take it out and the motor would not run properly. Batteries are completely charged. At full throttle, the motor runs sporadic at different bursts of speed, these bursts are never at the speed that it ran when it was new so it's like only running at max half the rpms previously. At full throttle on the transmitter, the motor runs sporadically in bursts of speed. I brought it back home and removed the prop assembly. The motor runs at max speed and smooth rpms while the prop assembly is removed. However, reinstalling the prop, the issue returns. So basically the motor runs at sporadic bursts of rpm when under load.

Since I'm new at electric power plants, I have no idea what the issue could be. Does this sound like it would be the motor, the ESC or both? The spinner and prop assemblies are not damaged. Before I throw money at it in replacement parts, I wanted to ask if anyone would know what the issue is.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2014, 11:49 AM
aeajr

Originally Posted by SushiHunter
I've been flying glow planes for years and a few months back I purchased the Radian Pro. It's the first for me in respect to an aircraft made of foam, glider type and electric power plant. So far I've really enjoyed the differences it offers compared to the faster pace glow planes that I've been accustom to flying over the years. As others have mentioned in this thread previously, it's really nice to get the plane really high and glide around in the thermals, something I've not experienced with the pattern planes I've flown so much.

Every flight has been flawless in regards to mechanical and electrical. However, yesterday morning on New Year's Day, I went to take it out and the motor would not run properly. Batteries are completely charged. At full throttle, the motor runs sporadic at different bursts of speed, these bursts are never at the speed that it ran when it was new so it's like only running at max half the rpms previously. At full throttle on the transmitter, the motor runs sporadically in bursts of speed. I brought it back home and removed the prop assembly. The motor runs at max speed and smooth rpms while the prop assembly is removed. However, reinstalling the prop, the issue returns. So basically the motor runs at sporadic bursts of rpm when under load.

Since I'm new at electric power plants, I have no idea what the issue could be. Does this sound like it would be the motor, the ESC or both? The spinner and prop assemblies are not damaged. Before I throw money at it in replacement parts, I wanted to ask if anyone would know what the issue is.

Thanks
What you are describing is the behavior of the LVC, the low voltage cut-off. On some ESC the LVC works by cutting the motor. That is the way I like them to work.

On the ESC that is included with the Radian and The Radian Pro the ESC pulses the motor when the LVC kicks in.

1) Your batteries are not fully charged

2) Your batteries are somehow damaged or defective and can not meet the amp demand of the motor.

You can learn more about this and other aspects of electric power systems from the book at this link.

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm
Old 01-02-2014, 01:25 PM
SushiHunter

Thanks for the reply. I do not think the issue is with the batteries because I have two sets of them and when I was running into this issue yesterday, I swapped out the batteries and the issue persisted using each of them. The control surfaces of the a/c work as they should, it's just the motor does not run under a load. I will look into the possibility that the batteries are not fully charged. However, I've been flying this plane with these same batteries since this past Thanksgiving and it's never given me a hint of issues. Only right now it's started the issue as I've described above. After getting back home, I checked both batteries and they were pretty much fully charged. But I'll go ahead and look into the batteries as a start to see if there is anything there that is causing the issue and work forward. Thanks.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 01-02-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:47 PM
aeajr

Put a meter on the packs. If they are not over 12V they are not charged. A fully charged 2 cell lipo is 12.6V. The charger included with the Radian frequently does not take them above 12.4 which is OK.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:30 AM
SushiHunter

Back in business! Thanks for all your suggestions. It was the ESC. Bought a new one at the local hobby store yesterday for $49 and some change, took it home and presto! She's back to running perfect. First thing I tried was I brought one of the batteries and the charger that I purchased at this same shop and went over everything with the guys behind the counter. After going over everything and checking the battery out, they were fine, which I was pretty sure it would since it is new and not damaged at all. The battery was pretty much completely charged in all three cells. We then discussed the issue a bit in regards to how the motor has been running and a customer who's a heli guy mentioned that he had a similar issue with one of his heli's which turned out to be the ESC. He said basically the motor would turn but wouldn't spool up enough to get the heli flying right and that it would suffer bursts of rpms when the throttle stick wasn't even touched. One of the guys working at the shop who flies primarily electric now mentioned that if the issue was the motor, the motor would have either smoked, smelled like smoke and/or not working at all. So with that information, I chose to buy a new ESC and try that out. Now I can go out and fly tomorrow morning at dawn. Perfect!!!

Last edited by SushiHunter; 01-03-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:30 AM
aeajr

they should have replaced the ESC under warranty and charged you zero.

Send it to Horizon Hobby and they will replace it for you.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:37 AM
SushiHunter

Send just the faulty ESC or the entire plane? I'd send the ESC but if I have to send the entire plane, I'll skip it cause I got a good two months of joy and pleasure out of it
Old 01-03-2014, 11:52 AM
aeajr

The ESC.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:15 PM
SushiHunter

Cool, thanks. Will do.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:49 PM
aeajr

Anyone looking for Graupner folding props, these guys have them. I just ordered 10X8 and 11X8.

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopdi...g+%2D+GRAUPNER
Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 AM
SushiHunter

Had some awesome flying sessions this weekend both on Saturday and Sunday with the Radian Pro. Good steady winds enabled me to keep the plane several hundred feet up and it just floated in one place. All I had to do was to keep aiming it into the wind with the rudder and occasionally ailerons when a strong gust would hit it. Great experience. Another cool thing was when the sun set, it was so high that the sun remained shinning on it for what seemed like a half hour more. Once the sun set on the Radian, it was time to bring her back down. Looking forward to doing this again this coming weekend.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:54 PM
aeajr

The Radian is a very popular glider for the ALES contest format. If any of you are interested our club will be hosting an ALES, altitude limited electric soaring contest in May. More info here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-g...25-2014-a.html
Old 08-22-2014, 02:04 PM
aeajr

Any of you guys within driving distance of Mays Landing/Atlantic City NJ? Do you like games?

There is an Eastern Soaring League contest near Atlantic City Labor Day Weekend. Oh sure, you might not win, but you might have a lot of fun, meet some great people and isn't that what it is all about? I'll be there having lots of fun.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2224145

Why not pop a ALES/CAM unit into you glider and come play some ALES games.
http://www.soaringcircuits.com/

Play some ALES games!

[TABLE="class: tborder"]
[TR="class: tcat"]
[TD="class: smallfont video-player"]Here is a video of a large ALES contest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtcgsEOsReQ

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: alt1"]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 01-17-2015, 09:33 AM
aeajr

Do any of your Radian Pilots fly contest? We are holding an ALES contest on Long Island in April. Wanna come?
Old 01-17-2015, 09:44 AM
Tom Nied

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Nah, I never fly contests anymore.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:47 AM
SpeedsterDEN

Testing the Radian pro today.
Nice to fly and I also had some nice thermal flights after recording this video.
Much better than the Phoenix 2000 in thermal flying and also great for soft aerobatic,
But I would prefer the Phoenix 2000 on a windy slope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg8ukgSd2Yg Cheers
Old 03-19-2016, 08:46 AM
SpeedsterDEN

First time on the slope.
Wind from 8 to 10 knots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etG64lUJ5Dc
Old 03-22-2016, 06:35 AM
lbuff1
My Feedback: (22)

Great flying plane