Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Graupner Terry wing break

Old 06-16-2003, 03:41 AM
Helicopter34
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graupner Terry wing break

I bought a Graupner Terry from Hobby Lobby and I has just completed it and gotten a few flights and all seemed good. On my 3rd flight I was flying by and at about 100 ft in the air the wing snapped. I have no idea why it snapped. Why would it just snap apart on a non-user-assembled part of the plane. Does anyone know if theres anything I can do about this, possible replacement. Has anyone ever had this problem before.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:47 AM
bjaffee

Unless you were really abusing the thing, I'd contact them about it. A friend of mine has a Terry, and it seems to have held up pretty well for quite a while. Maybe it was just a bad wing.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:12 PM
Pud
My Feedback: (3)

Default Hmmmmmm.......

Hey Helicopter34,
I have a Terry, which I have abused the heck out of, and the wing has held up fine.
I will get it smoking in a downhill speed run, then pull a HARD snap roll !! You can see the wing flex a lot.

I DID add a piece of light weight "prism" type tape to the bottom of the wing from tip to tip.
Mostly I did it to help out in the visibility department, but I am sure it must help the wing a little structurally.

My guess is you have either a bad wing, or maybe it got cracked somehow(shipping maybe?)
Give Hobby Lobby a call, good chance they will send you a new one---reputable company.
Pud
Old 06-17-2003, 04:10 PM
Helicopter34
My Feedback: (2)

Default Hobby Lobby

The sent me email back and they were very helpful. They sympathized with my situation and worked out a deal for me. I will definitely order from them again in the future.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:18 PM
modelbldr03

Default wing replacement

HL catalog #41 on pg 47 lists replacement wing @ $25.50
(pt # gr62353) but look at fixing it first. If you have enough pieces in tact to epoxy back together try adding a strip of fiberglass packing tape along span.
good luck
Old 06-26-2003, 05:39 PM
sargentw

I put Oracover on my wing and the wing is extremely strong and won't chip and ding.