Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Sig riser?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 10:36 PM
CBM Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig riser?

Anyone built a sig riser or riser 100? Wondering how the wood quality/cutting is and more importantly how they soar. Also how difficult to build? Been flying a radian and a homemade job but want something in a built up pure sailplane for thermal hunting that is responsive to lift, light weight, and c.h.e.a.p..Wondering about thermal abilities more than anything and building tips. I have built several sig kits(4*40, 4*60, seniorita, kadet mark1...)and all of them have been very straightforward with decent wood and great plans. Are these similar to their other kits in terms of building ease? Thanks for any input you may have.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:53 PM
snuts

Default RE: Sig riser?

I have built a couple of 2m risers a long time ago, my first real thermal was with my original transparent red one. A memory that will always stay with me! I too have built several sig kits, all the same sig modeller friendly. With those experiances, I often have been tempted to try a riser 100. If the 100 plans include instructions for spoilers I would lean that route.
You are allready dotting your Radian, You might as well go standard class (100"), or open (3m, or larger).
If you go for the original riser(2m), don't be afraid to stretch it a little, try 2" fore, 4" aft. Snuts
Old 05-09-2009, 11:54 PM
CBM Racing

Thanks snuts. Really leaning towards riser100, with bigger size has to be easier to see at altitude. I have a soft spot for sig kits, they have always flown better than expected so hoping their sailplanes are the same. Mind is made up pretty much I guess, just need to save a little bit o'cash for kit and covering. Anyone have pics of their risers?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Tinkrerpilot
My Feedback: (2)

CBM

Her are some links for the Riser 100. Gives you a little more information.

http://search.rcuniverse.com/search....reated&q=riser 100

Riser is not a bad model. Lots of people have got their strats with one of these. Look over in RC Groups for a few more builds.
Great plane as a glider, some have made conversions to electric also. All good fliers. Surely you will get more information from all the gents here. Good choice for a build.

tink
Old 05-10-2009, 09:23 AM
snuts

That 480 and equipment from your Radian is a perfect set-up for the 100. By the time you get it framed up,your radian should be old enough to up-grade. (Lets see always flying, no time to build, plane finally wears out, riser almost finished!)
You have every thing else at home to build it, here's the plan!
Cash in the bottles in the garage- tell her you got the garage cleened up-
Buy the kit on the way home from the bottle depot -then you can say you bought it with the money you saved by not hitting the curb, which would have ruined a $100 tire!-
Or plan "B" give here $100 to go spend on herself, Heck both
-Snuts-
Old 05-10-2009, 09:27 AM
kwmtrubrit

I have the "100" and have a great time with it. Kind build and great flier. Make sure to build in the spoilers, you will need them.

Keith
Old 05-10-2009, 12:15 PM
tokpilot

The Riser is a great entry level 2 meter ship. Builds easily the wood is very good and the plan sheet and instructions are great.

I have built both the 2 meter and 100 inch ship both flew right of the board and flew straight with little trim needed.

Gliders and Sailplanes are what I build and fly now Love to take one of the village kids out with us and get in the air and hand them the box this is what it is all about.

I have many ready to fly and many kits on hand I am lucky I have a wife who says if you want it go for it.

I also have a full size Schlicer KA-4 that I fly and instruct in
Old 05-10-2009, 12:24 PM
CBM Racing

Awesome input guys, thanks! The riser 100 is my next project. Will add either spoilers or flaperons to use as flaps or spoilers. Will keep this one 100% sailplane and build as light as I can, although my idea of light may differ from others idea of light.Any suggestions on minor changes like extending nose a bit so less weight to balance is needed? Any other small changes that can make it a better flier? Thanks all!
Old 05-10-2009, 02:02 PM
snuts

Good starting question! Yes as a habit now I will add enough nose to get all the radio equipment ahead of the main former (leading edge) and route my pushrods along the extreme outside of the fuse. Under the wing saddle if at all possible. Reason being to leave as large and easy access for a ballast system. It may be a entry level glider, in the books, but I'm sure it can be used as a learning tool in regards to the benifits of ballast. The neverending learning curve, Gliders from youth to grave.
The balsa nose block gets changed out to a piece of spruce (off of a 2x4) won't show the roadside gravel landings as much. If there is a driveway into the site, I can count on skidding accross it!
If using HS 81 spread them as needed to get the pushrods apart. Oh ya I always use 1/16 music wire full length, lots of cross braces 1/16 plywood strips. Reason being, the long plastic pushrods change length expansion, contraction, as you go up,down, in,out of thermals etc. The temp change makes for constant trim changes with plastic. Somebody will jump in and say buy carbon fiber, etc. Hard to get me to change unless I can do a 2ch glider for less that $.90 !
I did a full house Olympic 99 20 years ago. Part of the learning curve, Great place to set-up my first J.R. 347 computor radio. This is your build, if it were mine, then 3 bay spoilers 1", if you are keeping it light. Try spoilers sometime if not on this bird.
I have been watching your excitement with your Radian, RES Riser 100 sounds super good for this summer. (electric assist fuse this winter for the same wing?)

-Enjoy it man any way you carve it up -your hooked-

-Snuts-
-Snuts-
Old 05-10-2009, 02:36 PM
CBM Racing

Ha ha! You got it on the head, hooked bad. My old expired 4*40's had the plastic rod in tube control rods, hated them for the reasons you said. One day it hit 104 degrees and when I tested the elevator it went up but not down. The rods were so hot they melted in the tube and stretched out. I'm using flaperons on a homemade sailplane now and they seem very effective for flaps and spoilers but for ailerons they don't seem to do anything, so could easily eliminate the weight of a servo and pushrod and go with just spoilers as you say. I need to get the kit, then MAKE time to build. Between work and family life it is hard, but doable. Will throw up a pic of "pinky here in a minute so you get an idea of my spoileron size and then maybe I could get some input on using similar desing for riser100. Thanks again!
Old 05-10-2009, 02:59 PM
CBM Racing

Here's pinky and the radian. Started out as 100 in, but to fit 1 piece wing in truck had to keep chopping it untill it fit. Not sure if you can see flaperons clearly, but they are just under 50in long and taper from 1.5in down to 1/4in at outer wing panels. It flies great, but wings won't stand up to hard highstart launches, thus my quest for a more launch/transport friendly bird. Thanks for the input.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24064.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	1195694   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44565.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1195695  
Old 05-13-2009, 10:45 AM
kwmtrubrit

FLew mine this past weekend and am now a member of the "folded wings club." My new winch took pleasure in leaving me bits and pieces. I've launched many times on an older winch, but this one is a lot more powerful. The last time I flew it I did ground loop it, so I may have weakened the joiner box and the winch finished it off.

Keith
Old 05-13-2009, 11:58 AM
scaflock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CBM

The Riser 100 is a great plane as well as a straight forward build. The wood in mine was first rate and I had no issues with the instructions. Be sure you include the spoilers on yours. First big thermal you it with it and you'll be needing them! Take your time n the build and use wood glue where ever possible. It's lighter than CA when dry and still has a bit of flex. Wood glue will hold (due to the flex) when CA will break due to it being brittle.

Also be sure to install a ballast mounting post under the wing so you can fly in higher winds. For mine I used a 3/8 X 1/2 inch spruce brace between formers 3 and 4 with a 1/4X20 bolt and wing nut to hold the lead plates. I cast up plates in 1-2-4-and 10 ounce weights and they will all fit on the post at the same time if needed. Make sure that the bolt and weights are centered on the CG and to double check the balance after adding/removing ballast.

Here's a pic of my Riser 100. Hard to miss in the air with those colors!

Name:	Ge95389.jpg
Views:	1670
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1197346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41660.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1197347  
Old 05-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Lockley

The Riser 100 and Riser 78 are great. Dave

Name:	Li20889.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1198098   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45416.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1198099  
Old 05-15-2009, 08:44 PM
CBM Racing

It'll be a few weeks before I can get one, seeing all of them gets me drooling for one. I don't know why I want this model so much, looks like a standard design, not super lightweight or anything special. Guess I just like the flying reports and sig kits in general. Hope it turns into as much of a floater as I hear. The spoilers look like the way to go I guess. Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 05-23-2009, 09:26 PM
smoking joe

Keith did great job on the Riser, We've flown our Riser 100'son all of his visitsto Mobile, we built them at about the same 04 I think. They are great fliers ballasted properly you can fly in any wind conditions. andby all means incorporate the spoilers, hooked up properly with a couple of micro servos you won't regret having them whether for landing or getting out of killer thermals. by the way I let him launch forme with theRiser and a 2M spirit with out a problem. He's a great flier and friend, just don't bring up the 4th. The kit is a excellant build and a lot of fun to fly Joe

Old 05-23-2009, 09:32 PM
smoking joe

forgot to download a pic that was taken on the maiden flight Joe

Name:	Wu62183.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1204474