Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Some days your the bug other days the windsheild

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Some days your the bug other days the windsheild

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:25 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some days your the bug other days the windsheild

Went out to meet a fellow Glider guider Steve Goulet today and to maiden my Big Bird XL. I managed to glue the CF rudder pushrod solid as a rock while fixing a loose rudder hinge. MANIT WOULDNOTBUDGE! No maiden,but it was a fun day anyhow. Steve tried out his Big Balls addition to his winch. It launched his3 meter composite very well. Alittle full scale Star Duster shared the runway. Steve found some decent lift a time or two. All in all a great afternoon. Now down to the basement to find out how badI messed up the pushrod.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:09 PM
scaflock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Some days your the bug other days the windsheild

Hey Oz...

If you don't have any...  get yourself some "Super solvent".  It's a great CA de-bonder and should fix your little problem in just a few minuted. Most hobby shops should carry it of some other type of de-bonder.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:02 PM
snuts

Can't help but notice your signature  -Snuts-
Old 05-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Hatzman

CA debonder is nothing but Acetone.  I buy it by the gallon at Lowe's.  It has numerous modeling aplications. 

You can soak your CA bottle tips to clean them out. 

Thins Butratate dope.  Maybe Nitrate too, I can't remember (I'll have to check that later). 

You can rejevnate dried out CA.  Yep, it does work, and I have never noticed any degradation in the quality of the glue joints later.

Just don't get it anywhere anything acetate!

Bill

Old 05-22-2009, 09:18 PM
scaflock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually TRUE CA de-bonder is nitro-methane and water based and has zero acetone in it Bill.  While Acetone will remove CA it also has the tendency of taking off finishes, melting plactics of many types and smelling like cr@p. On a finished model I'd stick to the de-bonder if for no other reason than to keep from making even more repair work out of a simple project.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:11 AM
OzMo

Hi all,
WellI had to operate to get it loose. I made a 2" x 1/4" slot in the botton for a look see. I then had to make a 1/2" x 1/8" hole in the side at the last former. I had glued about 1" of the push rod to the fuse with the former in the middle. So I cleaned all the glue off of the rod after Icut it loose by wraping paper towel around the glue and then a little aluminum foil over the paper towel, used a dropper to wet the towel withacetone (it stinks but its cheap)and let it soak for 20 minutes.The foil slows the evaporation downa bunch.Scrubbed off the gummyCAwith dry paper towel. replaced the balsa and CA'd it VERYcarefully. Patched the covering stuck the bIrd on the charger and if it doesn't rain it goes up tommorrow!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:34 PM
sjgoulet

Well Dave, i told you i wouldnt tell anyone not anyone at all. it was such a great day anyhow. Did you finally get to maiden the BB ? i did get a chance to get out Fri afternoon it really should have been a great thermal day but things did not go as i hoped, i did find some decent lift but nothing spectacular. We are going to have to get together again and soon, i do have a couple of really good spots close that we can fly at, as soon as they are finished cutting hay we can have the place all to ourselves and anyone else who might want to join us. You know where im at just give a call and we'll try this again.

See ya Steve
Old 05-27-2009, 03:54 PM
OzMo

Hey,
Hope to maiden the BBXL and the Modified GL Thursday. We hope to start the every Thursday glider flying at our field tommorrow. I was able to cover the wings and horiz. stab last night.Weather is supposed to be nice tommorrow.