Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Battery for Vista EP

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:02 PM
farr301

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery for Vista EP

Hey all,

I'm going to purchase a Vista EP and i'm wondering if I can use my lipo on it. It is a Zippy 2200mah, 3 cell, 20-30 discharge. Here is the link for the plane www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p.

Any ideas?

also, does anyone know of any easy way to make it a two piece wing?

BTW, the other two planes i'm considering are the Multiplex Easy Glider (receiver ready) or the Parkzone Radian

Thanks,
Jake

Old 05-25-2009, 10:26 PM
CBM Racing

Default RE: Battery for Vista EP

The radian is a great choice, especially if it is a first sailplane. I would get it over the easyglider simply because it's a bit larger and easier to see. It is lighter than either the vista or the easyglider, and thermals incredibly well. If you go for the radian, get the plugnplay model, all you add is your rx and your battery. Don't much care for the radio with the rtf model, but that's another story. Mine I use a eflite 2100mah 3s battery and a 1800mah 3s battery, and I fly all day long with those. Rarely use one pack up, as it will go for about 3 hrs on the 1800mah battery. Plus being z-foam, repairs are incredibly simple should the need arise, some medium ca and some tape to hold until glue dries or use ca and kicker. No covering to pull off and replace, no trying to make new ribs/formers/sheeting, just glue and go if the need arises. Feels flimsy, but don't be fooled, it's tough stuff. If it's a first plane, it's hard to beat for 159 bucks rx ready.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:49 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That battery is perfect for the Vista. Remember that the ESC in the Vista does not have a voltage cutoff for LiPo so if yo uhear the motor starting to put out less power you have an empty battery and don't use the motor after that. Don't waste money on a new ESC for the stock motor, if you want to upgrade further get a brushless motor and brushless ESC. 
Old 05-26-2009, 11:50 AM
snuts

Hello farr301; Is transportation a problem with a one peice, 2meter wing? Making a 2 piece wing will be somewhat difficult unless you open up the bottom of the wing, including the sheeting. Strongly recommend one peice wing.If your prefference is balsa over foam. Then this is a very economical, good flying electric assist glider. Evan is right on the battery information, watch your voltage. Chech it after the first several flights, and get a feel for how long you can burst, and stay comfortably above 9volts, or higher. Never go below 2.75volts per cell. therefore I chose 9 volts. But that is an amazing amount of motor assist.. Hope this helps, if you are going into this fresh, the Radian is a supper set up, but some have a personal preferance away from foam. Let us know how you went, the Radian you hear all about, maybe all the vista flyers are still out in the lift! -ha,ha- 

-Snuts-

Old 05-26-2009, 10:05 PM
farr301

Thanks everyone,

I ended up purchasing the PNP Radian. It looks like it will turn out nice, can't wait to build it.

Farr301