Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Newbie mode 1 advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Hoverglide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie mode 1 advice.

Hi all,

I am a newbieat radio control gliding, & would like some advice regarding a mode 1 setup.

Basically, I have aFutaba 4 channel radio control &, a 2 channel rudder/elavator glider. Should I be setting it up so each control has it`s own stick, or should I learn using the rudder/elavator on just the left stick?

I just want the easiest way to learn, but don`t want to make things difficult, if I moved on to a 3 channel model.

Many thanks,

Ian.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:11 PM
snuts

Default RE: Newbie mode 1 advice.

Ian, I would leave them both on the left stick. Do you have an instructor? Is this your first R.C. airplane ( sounds like it isn't)? Once you get a radio with some mixing, mixing 80% of the aileron at first. Then reduce it down to 50, or 30%. To avoid building a habit of flying with aileron preferance. Flying rudder on a rudder stick is a good way to build instant reflexes. Your rudder is thought by some to be about the most important function, or command. Hope this helps, Enjoy. -Snuts-
Old 05-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Hoverglide

Hi Snuts,

Many thanks for the reply!

I shall go for the rudder elavator on the left stick option, as I may go for an aileron & powered glider in the future, once I`ve mastered the basics.

Thanks again,

Ian.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:21 AM
snuts

This simple question, shows the benifit of mode one. Starting with a 3 channel trainer (power) then adding ailerons simply adds another command on a forth axis. Not like mode 2, which usually starts with the rudder in the aileron position, then being moved over.

This may help other understand why many oldtimers think mode one is a superior training tool. But I do fit in here in Canada-I too fly mode 2-

Enjoy -Snuts-

Old 05-31-2009, 10:29 AM
toesupwa

ORIGINAL: Hoverglide

I am a newbieat radio control gliding, & would like some advice regarding a mode 1 setup.

Basically, I have aFutaba 4 channel radio control &, a 2 channel rudder/elavator glider. Should I be setting it up so each control has it`s own stick, or should I learn using the rudder/elavator on just the left stick?

It depends on a couple of things...

Search out the local RC'ers and find out how they do it. You WILLneed assistance, and handing the Tx to someone who has controls on different sticks is a receipe for disaster.

If you are right handed, you will naturally want to hold the glider to launch in your right hand.. using your left to control elevator. The primary direction control (be it rudder or aileron) is usually on the right stick when using Mode 1...

Old 05-31-2009, 10:56 AM
F-89 Driver

In a real airplane, the elevator and aileron are on the stick.  It is controlled with the RIGHT hand.  The throttle is on the left, and is controlled by the LEFT hand.  The rudders are controlled by the feet.  Bringing this into RC flying, the elevator and aileron would be on the right stick.  The throttle would be on the left stick.  The rudders, then, would also be on the left stick inasmuch as we don't have rudder pedals.

This mode is probably most common.  Keep in mind that unless you go with the flow, you COULD have a problem if, as mentioned previously, somebody else were to assume control and they were used to this "common" setup.

Also, launching with the right hand has never presented a problem for me while using this common setup.  It takes only a split second to get to the elevator or rudder after releasing the bird.  Incidentally, when I fly a rudder-only plane (one without ailerons) I connect the rudder servo to the right stick and use it as if it were ailerons.  It works great and feels as natural as can be.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:02 AM
snuts

This post originated in the United Kingdom, Where Mode 1 is more common that mode 2. Therefore best duplicate your instructor's set up, or the local norn. Enjoy soaring -Snuts-
Old 05-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Hoverglide

Hi Toesupwa,

Thanks for posting, & I can see the logic behind what you are saying with regards to the primary (rudder aileron) being on the right stick. Just to throw a spanner in the works, I am left handed.

I have a West Wings Orion light wind glider made up & ready to fly, but don`t feel confident as it is mainly balsa frame construction, so opted for a similar looking EPP version to get started on. I did use to build & fly similar looking free flight models, & hoped to learn to fly RC by having a hopefully stable glider capable of flying on it`s own, & without full time controlling neeeded.

I shall try & find out about local clubs aswell.

Many thanks,

Ian.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:04 PM
snuts

Ian, you will enjoy anything EPP. That stuff is just ment to have fun with. I simply stand back and gigle watching the abuse it will take.

Local help is always good, and a flying buddy aswell. -Snuts-