Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Which Transmitter??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:12 PM
stevext

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Transmitter??????

Hi All

I'm just getting back into flying the gliders again after helping look after my two little ones and am in the market for a new transmitter/receiver.I mainly fly 60" pylon racers with a couple of 3m f3f models and the odd hlg,should i go for one of the futaba models like the 9c and put a 2.4ghz module in it or stick with the trusty jr brand i'm used to and get a pcm9x 2 with the option of using a spektrum module if desired.Things have moved on a bit scince i picked up a transmitter last and it seems there's a few problems with 2.4 but the majority of people are very pleased...........

Your thught's would be appreciated

many thanks

Stevext

Old 06-12-2009, 12:23 PM
snuts

Default RE: Which Transmitter??????

What are the locals doing? Is your existing J.R. module based? If so update as required, or desired. Or is it time for a fresh treat, always a good feeling. Enjoy your summer. -Snuts-
Old 06-12-2009, 12:26 PM
TIA

Good thread. I'm watching with interest. I want to go 2.4 as well. Was looking at maybe a 9303 or 12X or 14Z.

So far I've heard the 12X has battery problems where it stops taking a charge then one day out of the blue the power is not enough and your plane falls out of the air. I've heard with the Futaba the receivers get hot and burn out to which they fail and your plane falls out of the air. I know not everyone experiences these problems but that's just what I have read. Looking for something most reliable where my plane won't fall out of the air.

Maybe the X9303?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:27 PM
qldviking

personally I'd say stay with jr,  all my tx's/rx's are jr,  have 2 10x11's, 7202, and a 6102,  and happy with all, and the 3 of them will take 2.4 modules if needed, tho I am happy to stay on 36mhz for now.  I like the jr programming over futaba's too
Old 06-12-2009, 12:32 PM
stevext

Hi

Locals are flying a mix of futaba and jr with quite a few still on 35mhz (i'm in england ),just fancy treating myself and if i'm going to buy a new set-up 2.4 might be the way to go.Ive heard about futabas problems on here but i mainly fly gliders so heat should'nt be an issue- as for spektrums locking out problems this is much more concerning.If it was just a few new pilots i wouldnt think much of it but there seems to be quite a few very experienced pilots expressing there concerns!.

Decisions,decisions!
cheers
Old 06-12-2009, 12:41 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only Futaba problems have been heat related and I think they have been fixed. Spektrum seems to have lock out issues still. JR on 2.4 seems to not have issues. If you want 2.4 and you like JR then go witha new JR.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:13 PM
snuts

My personal preferance is J.R. But I try not to push my preferance on others.
If your happy with J.R.  I say go for it. Last year I purchased a 9303, ready for 2.4 Very, very happy. ! also have 10sx, 8103 (2), 347, Galaxy 8, 6102. Love them all . And a treat is always fun, match it, and the mrs will vote 12x ! -Snuts-
Old 06-12-2009, 04:44 PM
likeswindinhair

Ive been running this thought thru my mind as well. Im glad for this thread, for Im facing the same decision. Ive been looking at the multiplex radio. Is there anyone out there that has one, and whould care to comment on the multiplex

Old 06-12-2009, 04:55 PM
qldviking

I had a multiplex before I got my 10x11 jr,   I prefer the jr
Old 06-13-2009, 05:50 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: qldviking

personally I'd say stay with jr, all my tx's/rx's are jr, have 2 10x11's, 7202, and a 6102, and happy with all, and the 3 of them will take 2.4 modules if needed, tho I am happy to stay on 36mhz for now. I like the jr programming over futaba's too
Unless you plan to do surgery you can't put a module in eitehr the 7202 or the 6102.

If you are buying new and are happy with JR in the past, the 9303 continues to receiver great reports. Iknow a LOTof people who have them and they are very happy.

Ihave a 9Cfor my gliders and small electrics. I am quite content but I read that this is a somewhat slow radio. Doesn't impact me but for pylon racers it could be an issue. Iwould suggest the 9303.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:17 AM
kwmtrubrit

If I'm not mistaken, the 9c super isn't made any more. They may still be around (new) but I don't know about buying a brand new dodo. I have the 9c Super and love it, but eventually I may be screwed for repairs. Isn't Multiplex coming out with a new TX any time now that's supposed to be the "dogs B*ll*cks" for sailplanes.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:26 AM
jooNorway

ORIGINAL: kwmtrubrit

Isn't Multiplex coming out with a new TX any time now that's supposed to be the "dogs B*ll*cks" for sailplanes.
MPX will release their 2.4GHz systems during summer I hope. Then I can get 2.4 in one of my MPX Profies Working telemetri and so on. Then I still have the best sailplane TX and also have the advantage of 2.4 for some of my planes.
Not sure about new TXes, so far I just want the module for Profi. But I won`t be surpriced if they soon release a new TX similar to Profi.
They also release a lot of really state of the art receivers, with good powerconnections and safety which make use of any powerboxes in the big gliders superfluous... As we are used to; MPX is the thing.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:49 AM
likeswindinhair

well ive been looking there.  And the 9303 has one that uses crystals and one that just dials in. which way whould you go? And as far as recievers goes does jr have a good one that whould fit in a dlg?  which spectrum reciever whould one use in a smaller 60 wing span dlg. as far as multiplex coming out with a new one,  I wasnt able to dig anything up, in the coming soon, on there site. Tried to call but there out early on friday and closed for the weekend.  I think recievers and there size and  dependability is very important. so out of the 3 were talking about which one wins? I like the fact the 9303 is sailplane friendly as well.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:47 AM
jooNorway

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/hp/produk...sp?lfdnr=55815 shows the new16-ch MPX. There will be smaller receivers too. One 7ch: http://www.multiplex-rc.de/hp/produk...sp?lfdnr=55810
SPectrum for DLG, the AR6100 suits if there is not a carbon fuselage. AR6250CF if the fuse is carbon: http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=9612
Old 06-14-2009, 03:39 PM
likeswindinhair

thanks norway that was a big help. back to jr there.  9303 chyrstals are no, you can go either way. as far as recievers for the 3 brands, who wins on size and dependabilty there. Anybody  mess with them all?
Old 06-14-2009, 04:13 PM
qldviking

I use jr rx's,  usually the R700's with xtal,   they are about the slimmest and I have had no issues with them at all.  I have had problems in the past with the synth rx's, one wouldnt hold a freq, the other failed. Having tried 2.4g etc,  I have gone back to using basic xtals set up,   a lot less to go wrong.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:20 PM
likeswindinhair

thanks gldviking thats what i wanted to know. just might be getting a new reciever, my mind is made up appreciate your imput
Old 06-14-2009, 04:34 PM
qldviking

I'll bet my previous post will at least raise a few eyebrows,   but having tried all the mod cons regarding radio/recievers, I have seen enough issues first hand regarding synth and 2.4 to wonder if either are worth the effort and dollar outlay.  I have flown for many years using the basic xtal setups without any hassles,  going to synth rx's I had 2 go bad,  both caught on the ground fortunately.  My foray into 2.4g was a disaster despite doing everything by the instruction book.  As they say,  "if it aint broke dont fix it"   As long as my radio systems work as hassle free as they do now I wont change.  At my club, and the others i visit my freqency is free,  and I have 2 sets on other freqencies if needed.  Some complain about the use of frequency boards,  but everyone I have flown with has been taught to use them as I have,  also, my frequency key is clipped to my tx's over the power switch.  Its gonna take a real brainfart to go and shoot someone down if that is ever likely.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:18 PM
TIA

qldviking, could you share your 2.4 experience with me? I'm looking to get into the 2.4 & would like to know if anyone has had any problems.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:01 PM
evan-RCU

gldviking and I share the same thoughts on 2.4. I am still using 72MHz and though I have two 2.4 radios my main fleet is not.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:29 PM
qldviking

I had the  DX7.   My experiences are listed in another forum here in the glider section   ":spektrum fails yet again"
Old 06-14-2009, 07:50 PM
evan-RCU

Yes, I know....
Old 06-14-2009, 07:55 PM
TIA

ORIGINAL: qldviking

I had the DX7. My experiences are listed in another forum here in the glider section ":spektrum fails yet again"

OK so this was not Futaba or JR.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:56 PM
likeswindinhair

you know im not surprised there. its been my experience with every thing  the old saying, they dont make them like they used to. I wonder if i can get anyone out there to trade me. lol
Old 06-14-2009, 09:48 PM
qldviking

the way I see our radio systems have gotten more complicated and at the same time quality control and manufacturing processes leave a bit to be desired.  I am willing to bet that a lot of failures are quality control issues, and the more complex the item in question the more there is to go wrong.  The way I see it I would rather have a simple and reliable system, with less to go wrong.  There's enouugh that can go wrong as it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.