Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Gentle Lady Power Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:53 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gentle Lady Power Setup

I have been building and flying control line planes for several years. Ihave also flown some RC powered sport planes. Iam a beginner in sail planes and am building a Gentle Lady kit and want to power it with a Cox Golden Bee on a SIG pod over the wing to get it up. Is this a good set up or do I need to consider other power methods or techniques. I can use all the help you give give me.

Thank You

Mike

Old 06-21-2009, 03:13 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Gentle Lady Power Setup

That is my favorite method as the pod does not alter the plane for other types of flying. I have the same set up but with a TD and the red tank. It will get you into thermal country.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:20 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Is this a good set up or do I need to consider other power methods or techniques. I can use all the help you give give me.
Mike
I would use a electric motor mounted in the nose of the GL. I have one with an old cobalt 400 with a gearbox that works fine, though now I'd buy a brushless out-runner motor if I where to re-motor it. The reasons I wouldn't go 1/2a are:
1. Slime
2. The electric can be restarted in flight.
3. Slime
4. A more titty installation.
5. Slime.
6. The extra weight of the batteries will not hurt a sailplane with one of these older floater airfoils.
7. Slime.
8. Using a electric motor allows you to experiment, is that sink, or is it just that you're being sucked right into the bottom of a thermal? It can look the same.
9. Slime.
10. No fuel cans, starting batter, no glow battery, no noise, and most of all no slime. I flew sailplanesexclusively for ten years before getting back intopower, the slime was the hardest thing to cope with..

Old 06-22-2009, 07:16 PM
OzMo

HEY!!!
What da yagot against slime? Don't ya know its how much grass and bugs ya got stuck all over your plane is how we measure how much fun we had? LOL

Iagree, thenewelectric sytems are pretty sweet. But he said he had the 049
brushless and lipos are clean and light weight and a fine option.

ILIKESLIME!

Old 06-23-2009, 10:51 AM
[email protected]

Thanks guys for the help. I am taking all of this into advisement.

Mike
Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 PM
keyman
My Feedback: (22)

Hope its ok to post my recent GL arf build.
KDA hacker clone a22-20L
Hobbywing 25A esc
GWS 10x6DD
Hitec 81's
polyquest 1200 3s
HC 2300 3s

Still looking for a folding prop for it

AUW with the 1200 is 31.5oz. and 34 oz with the 2300. Everyone that flies it seems to get a big smile
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96870.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1223479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42218.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1223480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84362.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1223481  
Old 06-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I like slime too. If I come home coated and smelling like castor oil, I've had a good day. But Electric is cleaner. If the pod works for you, why not give it a try. I happen to like 1/2 A's like Cox. Surely that will get that GL up there. This is all about experimenting and having fun. So have some fun!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:04 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Just add a sealing membrane of Monokote under the wing and sealing strips along the nose hatch seam line to keep out the goo. This will basically be a sacrificial membrane covering that you need to remove and replace each time you need to get into the equipment but that's OK unless you're sharing your airborne gear with another model. Then it gets ugly in a hurry. It's still a good idea though.

You may or may not find that the Golden Bee is a bit strained. If you have trouble climbing then replace the cylinder with one of the twin bypass ported ones from the 290 or Product engine. That'll boost your power enough to get a strong "uphill glide" that'll get you up there. And for both cases use a strong nitro fuel. 25% minimum to ensure adequite power.

You're going to find that you need to stay off the sticks during the climb in any event other than a few clicks of trim to nudge the model one way or the other. Any heavy inputs will kill the climb and should be avoided. Instead use either the trim lever or very small stick inputs to "trim" the model into flying a back and forth crabbing pattern into the face of the wind in your search for lift. If you find it early you'll need to circle in it only a turn or three and then head back upwind unless it's near the end of the engine run. If it is set up your thermal circle and stick with it for up to a minute of engine run time.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:49 PM
OzMo

A td 049 on a lite stand is one of the lowest weight motor options. You can also clock the prop to be verticle when the engine dies for less drag (because the cylinder is verticle).