Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

I could really use some help.

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

I could really use some help.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:04 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: I could really use some help.

ORIGINAL: CaptainRandy

da Rock & Evan,

I see what you guys mean about the trees. The first trip I made out there, I thought this is going to be scary. I have watched a lot of slope video's, and even bought that DVD with the guy doing like 186mph. I think they call it dynamic soaring or something.

All the slopes in those videos, were like you say, treeless slopes.

I only have three sailplanes, and two of them are electric. I know, I know, that's cheating

My only pure glider is the little Fling, but I need to get a new surge tube, as it rotted.

I am pretty much available all the time, so if you guys can put together a date for a few guys to meet up, that would be awesome.

I was Navy also, retired too, but not from the Navy. Just proud to have served. I was in 1971-75 Vietnam vet.

AeaJr,

That is some great stuff you posted links too. I will be exploring a lot of them. I could have used the one on retreiving planes from trees a couple of weeks ago.

Who says slope soaring with an electric glider is cheating? Tell them to mind their own business.

Slope soaring with anything is great! I slope with electric gliders, electric planes, pure gliders, garbage can covers, whatever I can find.

You got an electric you want to take to the slope, then fly it and tell the purists to stick it!

Old 07-14-2009, 02:20 PM
CaptainRandy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Second Maiden was much better. I added about two more oz of lead to the nose, and it was much better. She climbed out pretty well, and wasn't too bad to handle. I did notice that she was VERY touchy with the elevator, so I had to be careful not to hobby horse it around. I got her up pretty high and cut the power. Now she liked that. I glided around for a while, and after loosing some altitude, I powered her up again. The response was less intimidating this time.

After a few up to altitude, I decided I had better see how this thing lands. I had a lot of room on a freshly cut hay field, so I wasn't afraid that I would run out of room. She cam in just as sweet as ever, as long as I stayed off the elevator.

I guess I need some more nose weight to bring that elevator sensitivity under control.

At least there was no crash

Upon inspection when I returned home, the rudder servo had stripped it's gears. I can't imagine why, as I hardly even touched the rudder. I have HS 81's in there for rudder & elevator. I have another set of gears, so I will replace them and give it another try.

She weighs in at approx 3.5 lbs
Old 07-14-2009, 04:45 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CaptainRandy
I guess I need some more nose weight to bring that elevator sensitivity under control.
You could also move the pushrod out one hole on the elevator horn or one hole in on the servo arm.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:58 PM
CaptainRandy

da Rock,

I see what you mean, but I think I want to get her more nose heavy also to make her less sensitive to elevator movement. She was very twitchy with the slightest movement at all. I am assuming that is because of the CG point.

This is a heavy bird for me at 3.5 lbs, so I am a little intimidated by it. My only other plane that heavy is my Cub. Most of my planes are light weight foamies.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:39 AM
phillipmorris

Gads, sounds like your starting with a big ship, like to see you begin with the 2 meter size at the start...great 2nd flight, wonderful !!

I usually set most of my planes abit nose heavy for safety, not that its correct but less likely to have the uncontrolled tail heavy issue..then gradually move the COG to correct or balanced position...

Many also do the power off glide test, throw it straight into the breeze, keep things level and note the glide, also helps make any trim adjustments...

I personally usually give some low throttle, toss and let the plane settle, low it can turn on you if the nose rises be ready, do a gentle rise and safe elevation turn it around and land, again do the required trim

Sailplanes have a rather slow response, not a bad idea to touch the stick and release to prevent overcontrol at the start, a rather pulsing of the stick, if things are in trim it nearly flys by itself....

Ground effect, on landing you likely need slightest downstick or downtrim usually required as it comes in low for touchdown, handles abit different than when at elevation, be ready for adjusting here, is normal....

Be sure you have a sizeable area to fly, these gliders have a tendency to float along ways before landing, after efficient you will be able to fly in tighter quarters later on...

I'm far from the skilled sailplane flyer, but these were my very first entry into the RC many years ago, I'm still hooked on gliders, never tire chasing thermals, long flights are a wonderful bonus, have to love 'em.....

BEST...

Years back
Heavy Top Cat 2 meter, thermaled an hour, am hoooked !!
99 inch ARF prefab, fast assembly, flew great
Currently Radian, is off the charts, RTF a beauty, responds to medium light lifts...
on order Cularis.....
Old 07-15-2009, 09:02 AM
CaptainRandy

Phillip M,

Thanks for all the good advise. I was going to do that toss test with a little power, but I was chicken When I first toss a plane, I like to get it to three mistakes high as soon as possible. We used to recommend that to some newbies on the Badius Boys thread on RCU. This is when we were all starting out with the Accipitor Badius RTF sailplane.

This is not my first sailplane, but it is the first one of this size and weight. It is also my first with ailerons. I have flown other planes with ailerons, just not a sailplane.

My buddy back in Florida who is now in Colorado for the Summer just bought the Radian, and he loves it. I helped him get it set up before he left Florida. He took it out of the box and it flew great. That was a relief, as we didn't test fly it before he left, and he is a bit of a newbie being on a trainer cord for a long time. He is doing great now all by himself
Old 07-16-2009, 12:34 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We have a number of pilots at our field who had been on the "buddy cord" at power fields for a long time. They went solo on sailplanes in a very short time. Frankly we almost never use buddy cords.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:31 AM
CaptainRandy

aeajr,

Using the buddy cord has allowed me to let my buddy get much closer to the ground and still be able to save his butt, without passing the TX back and forth.

In the beginning it was a real trainer for me also, being able to get someone out of a jam real close to the ground. I always wanted to let them make some mistakes, and see if they could get out of it.

I think it is a great training tool IMHO.