Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

?flying field advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 12:05 AM
RCSM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?flying field advice

I was at the flying field flying my dynaflite butterfly today , I was using the moter to get it to about 300 feet then I turned off the moter to find thermals.was doing well geting good flight times/having fun.its a good field very large blacktop area you can see the heat coming off the blacktop great for thermals. for some reason one of the field controllers told me if I do not fly the butterfly under power dont fly it in this field.( no dead stick flying)there was nobody flying at the time ,the field was open to fly .Question does the club have the right to tell you that.It is a parks dept public park . I only fly this plane when there are little or no other flyers .tx for any reply?
Old 06-25-2003, 01:27 AM
Brinesharks
My Feedback: (1)

Your club should be incorporated - part of the incorporation process requires a club charter and this usually incorporates rules for the club. For example a glider only club will have something like:

"No glow or diesel powered planes are to be flown on the club site"

They may have given the "field controller" the power to ask flyers to leave the field for any reason (this is usually in there so they can legally have nuisances removed). In your case it sounds like they don't want gliders flown there for some reason. You should raise the matter at the next club meeting or find a club that will allow it.

Club politics can be very unpleasant sometimes so it can be worth politely raising an issue in an open forum but let the secretary know before the meeting that you are going to.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:38 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

If the club is leasing the land from the city, county, etc., they might be able to make their own rules. You would have to know how they are set up. If it is open for public flying, then that is another matter.
We allow all kinds of planes, but we are a small club. We also all agreed to land on the runway no matter what type it is. Keeps everything in front of the pilots. If you can see it, you should be able to fly around it. BUT we are small enough that we only fly about two at a time. Usually one at a time with everyone else making rude comments about the one who is flying or the way he is flying. Lots of fun!!!
Old 06-25-2003, 02:10 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Glider flying involves flying in circles over a single spot that may or may not move with the wind. This can be dangerous for power flyers because of the risk of mid air collisions. So often power only clubs do not welcome glider flying.

But having said that if there were no other power fliers up at the time and you weren't causing problems it seems a little silly. But the others are right in that if the club is responsible for the field then it's their right to restrict how you fly.

If you're a member of the club then why not petition for a "gliders only" evening or some other accomadation to allow you and a few others to fly the powered gliders?