Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

High Start Size

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 01:14 PM
TheAMAZINGNorad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Start Size

Hey guys. I've been flying my paragon for about 2 months now and have been using other peoples high starts. Well, I just got the spirit kit and its about 80% done right now. I decided it is time to get my own high start. The spirit is a 2m, but the paragon is real close to 3m. I also want to build a Bird of Time as my next glider. Which High Start should i get? A standard or a Large? I am looking @ the ones from NE Sailplane. The BoT and Paragon are more at the 3m end, but then there is my spirit. I don't want to underpower the BoT or Paragon! Then again, I don't wann break the spirit Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:59 PM
TomM

Default High Start Size

HolySchmoly!!!!- You got the same planes I do. Paragon, two Spirits and my BOT should be delivered tomorrow.
I've been using the Dynaflite Heavy Duty Hi Start. Box says "up to 120 inch wings".
I think it works fine for both the Paragon and spirits. But then again I'm the only glider flyer at the field, so I have no other comparisons.

Tom
Old 06-26-2003, 11:15 PM
TheAMAZINGNorad

Default High Start Size

Well, I do not know how that compares to the ones from NE Sail. How do you like that model HS? Do the wings seem to bend alot when you launch the spirit? Im worried that the L from NE Sail might have a bit too much oomph. I did some reinforcing on the wings anyways, so they should be strong enough but i dont want the wings shearing off in flight
Old 06-26-2003, 11:50 PM
TomM

Default High Start Size

I checked out the NESail L, couldn't find the rubber diameter.
But anyway, get it and just don't stretch as hard for the Spirit's first flight. Looks like a great histart.
I don't notice any big bend with the Dynaflite HiStart. Actually seems pretty mild. A couple of years ago I went to a field with a winch- thats when I saw some flex!

I'm very non-scientific..... I just pull back on the rubber till I think- That feels about right.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:04 AM
Shredz

Default High Start Size

I launched my aspire Aspire with a heavy duty, but it was a short one with about 50' of 3/8" rubber and about 250' of line. I hadn't thought things out very well and instead of shortening the line to 150' feet or so, I tried to go for the power launch and pulled the rubber to the max. I launched on a gust and it folded the wings- total loss. Learned something...

The same highstart with the line shortened will launch the BOT I have but I have to use whatever breeze there is as an assist for a good a good ride. I've since picked up a heavy duty Holliday hi-start and I can get a good launch, but the best are always into a breeze even with the extra length.

The Aspire is the same as the Spirit: they are robust little planes. With a full length HD highstart you should have no problems. Just be aware of how much tension and up elevator you use.

And back off on the tension if it's gusting at all

Good luck
Old 06-30-2003, 05:45 PM
Chillybee
My Feedback: (3)

Default High Start Size

I just finished my Bird Of Time and plan on using my heavy-duty hi start from NE Sailplanes. I've used that to launch my Multiplex 3m Milan and it has plenty of power. However, I don't think I'll need to stretch it back that much for the Bird since it's much lighter and the wings don't have carbon fiber spars like the Milan does. But at any rate, some people have used a winch (which I've never tried) so the hi-start shouldn't kill it. It seems to me what if there is a decent wind, a standard hi-start might do the trick if it's stretched out all the way. I'll just have to see how mine goes.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:59 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default High Start Size

I purchased a GP Spirit 2 Meter RTF package from Tower hobbies.

I launch it with a NE Sailplanes Standard Hi-start which is 1/2" rubber with 3/32 wall. Rated to 3 Meter +. My friend was launch his 3 meter yesterday with no breeze and getting good launches.

My Spirit's wings are still two piece, but when I join them, I tape them with 2" clear packing tape at the seam. After 25+ launches, some of which I think I pulled back a little too far, I have had no problem with the wings fluttering or bending, that I can see.

I would prefer not to join them as it would make it harder to store and transport the plane.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:27 AM
aeajr

Default RE: High Start Size

Perhaps I should have stayed with the hi-start, but in an attempt to learn to use a winch, my original spirit was destroyed in a bad launch this weekend so I am going to build a new one from a kit.

If you have any building advice, I have posted a request for advice here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Spir...1185655/tm.htm
Old 10-08-2003, 12:18 AM
kamakasi

i have both a spirit and an aspire. with both i use a heavy duty hi-start with no problems.
only modification i made was to the spirits wings. i glassed them together. i was getting tired of them opening on me. just remember if the plane starts getting squirrelly on the launch back off on the tension.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:59 AM
aeajr

kamakasi
Can you define heavy duty? This is a loose erm. My hi-start is based on 1/2" tubing with 3/32 wall and was not called heavy duty.

The Dynaflite Heavy duty hi-start uses 3/16 id and 5/16 od tubing with 350 feet of line. They claim this will handle planes of up to 120".

What are the specs on your HD hi-start.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:36 AM
AirHead256

I have a NE Sail Pinnacle histart and a 2 meter competition one from Aerofoam that I like much better. It's at http://www.aerofoam.com/hosemonster.html.
It is mandrel dipped tubing and stretches much more evenly and the pull gradually builds up, where the NES model seems to not streach as far then hits the stops.
I think this 2 meter comp. rubber used to be marketed for standard size, but it pulls well enough to give almost any size gas bag / floater in the ~ 45 - 50 oz. range to a real nice height.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:22 PM
aeajr

So, your aeroborm hi-start would be htis one?

Comp 2 meter 1/8"ID x 3/32"wall 5/16 OD x 100' with connectors $65.00

This one is same OD as the Dynaflight but has a thicker side wall making it more powerful.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:29 PM
averen

I have launched my Spirit Elite off a highstart and a winch with no problems, including pedal to the metal zoom launches off the winch...it has basically the same wing config as a regular spirit. A guy I fly with has also launched his Spirit off of the same winch and the same highstart with no problems. I don't know the actual diameter of the rubber on the highstart but it puts the plane up there really fast and really high! The high start has often been described as "excessive" and it's main use it putting up unlimited ships.

I wouldn't really worry about the diameter of the tubing and all of that...if you think it's going to give too much "oomph" for your spirit just don't pull it back as far. I think you'll be pretty impressed with how strong the wing is though.

Good Luck!
Averen
Old 10-08-2003, 09:43 PM
aeajr

I agree about the relative strength of hi-starts. Mine is really intended for larger planes so I just don't pull it back as far.

My friends hi-start, the dynaflite HD launches his spirit just as high as my hi-start sends mine, but his goes up more gently. When I pull his back it is not nearly as strong a pull even though I have walked back much further.

So, which hi-start? Make sure it is strong enough for your plane. I would say that for a 2 meter minimum would be 1/4" OD and would strongly suggest 5/16 so that it has plenty of power for still air days.

One advantage of the stronger hi-starts is that you don't have to pull them back as far so you don't need as much room.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:15 PM
kamakasi

aeajr,

i have the dynaflite hi-start as you described. as far as basing a hi-starts lift potential on wing size i feel over all weight of the plane would be the deciding factor. how to figure this weight i have no idea. if i come up with a # i'll let you know.