Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Contest - ESL FINAL TD CONTEST WEEKEND 10/3,4 - Current Standings

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Contest - ESL FINAL TD CONTEST WEEKEND 10/3,4 - Current Standings

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:29 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Contest - ESL FINAL TD CONTEST WEEKEND 10/3,4 - Current Standings

Contest - ESL FINAL CONTEST WEEKEND 10/3,4 - Current Standings

This has been a great Eastern Soaring League contest season. Just two contests left to go, to be held on October 3 and 4 in Reading PA. Register here:
http://www.flyesl.com/contest_regist...ail.asp?cid=20

In the Thermal Duration Division we have had over 100 pilots fly with us this season across Expert, Sportsman and Novice. It has been an 18 contest series with points accumulated based on the pilot's top 6 contest scores. So you don't have to attend all 18 contests to be the top pilot. But the more contests you attend, the more opportunities you have to improve your standing.

Among the Expert pilots these are the top five after 16 contests:

Michael Lachowski .......598.68
John Hauff .....................595.6
Leszek Zyga ....................595.0
Tony Guide .....................594.17
David Walter ..................590.6

As you can see, there are less than 9 points separating the top 5 pilots with two contests left to go. There is room for a good showing to juggle these 5 around and the next few pilots could move into the top five with an excellent showing.

As you can see, in Sportsman, the pack is a little more spread out. And there are several pilots in the top 10 who could jump up into the leader group based on their performance at the End of Season Contest. This could be very exciting!

Sportsman class is by no means decided yet.
Jim Griffeth ........584
Dave Wood .........571.55
George Hill .........570.67
Ed Anderson .......566.2
Michael Lavelle...549.54

The final 2 day contest will be held at the Daniel Boone Homestead near Reading PA. All pilots are welcome to join. There is no cost to be part of the ESL and no requirement to fly any minimum number of contests.

As of today we have 31 pilots registered, but you can expect that number to go up as we get closer to the date. Why not join us for some great flying?

And for all you LSF aspirants, these contests count toward your LSF level accomplishments, especially for you level 4 and 5 LSF pilots who need 15 and 20 pilot minimums to meet your contest requirements.

Reading, PA
Sanctions: AMA and ESL

Event: Thermal Duration Man-on-Man .
Task times to be announced before each round.
Landing Task- graduated spot 25 and 50 point.

ESL winches will be used.

Awards: Expert and Sportsman awards to 3rd Place daily. Awards for best two-day performance.
Award for best Novice.

Register before: 10/2/2008
One day fee: $20.00
Two day fee: $40.00
NOVICE FLY FREE!

Schedule: Check-in Time 8:00 a.m.
Pilots meeting 8:45 a.m.
First Flight 9:00 a.m.

Directions: From Rt 422 follow signs to Daniel Boone Homestead. For a map to the flying site, click here and for directions: http://www.dbsf.org/directions.html

In addition to the contest, the ESL will hold its End of Season League meeting Saturday after the contest.

On Sunday the League awards for Sunday's contests. Then ESL Top Ten Season Standings to be awarded after the contest on Sunday as well.

If you have flown with us before you know what a good time we have. In the Expert Class, competition is stiff, but always friendly. In Sportsman, the top pilots always make a good showing and there is plenty of help, coaching and assistance for those still developing their talents.

Come fly with us! www.flyesl.com

Old 10-01-2009, 10:54 AM
aeajr

Default RE: Contest - ESL FINAL TD CONTEST WEEKEND 10/3,4 - Current Standings

We are up to 40 pilots for the EOS TD contest. We have room for plenty more.

Weather looks good for the weekend too. If you have been holding off to see what the weather could be, well it looks like great flying weather.
http://www.weather.com/outlook/trav...topnav_business

There will be open flying on Friday afternoon, so if you want to come in early to practice and get a feel for the field, Friday after 12 is probably a good target.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:42 AM
aeajr

We had a great weekend. Weather was forecast to be rainy Saturday morning but other than a damp field from overnight rain, we had no problems. Light and variable winds all day. There was also a significant crop of gnats to help us fly our planes. At times they are a bit too helpful. Were is the OFF?

We flew 6 round of 5 pilots each in a Man on Man format. Worked well. We had a couple of line break delays but other than than that things went smoothly.

We had 40 pilots, 15 Sportsman and 24 Experts and 1 Novice.

Sunday the weather was just beautiful except for a lot of gnats again. Seemed I was a magnet for nats. Thank goodness for bug repellent.
We had 40 pilots. Wind was light in the morning with almost flat air for the first round. Then the breeze picked up a little and so did the lift.

In the afternoon the wind kicked up quite a bit. I never pulled out a meter but I would guess it was cycling between 7 and 12 mph. A couple of planes did not make it back to the field but I believe all were recovered.

Lift was still spotty but there were pockets of strong lift that cropped up now and then. And a few very strong sink cycles brought pilots down fast.

All in all a great weekend of flying. The scores will be posted on the ESL web site in a couple of days.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:27 PM
aeajr

As President of the Long Island Silent Flyers I am proud to say that LISF was very well represented in the Eastern Soaring League this season in the thermal duration division.

In Sportsman Class, 50 Sportsman pilots particiapted in ESL contests this year. Out of the top 10 finishers, 5 were from the Long Island Silent Flyers.

1 Daniel Siegel
5 Ed Anderson
6 David Ashinsky
7 Michael Lavelle
9 Peter Nicholson

And out of 49 Expert pilots that participated in ESL contests 2 of the top 10 were from LISF.

2 John Hauff
10 Frank Strommer

Nice job guys!