Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Where do you buy a winch

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 02:22 PM
likeswindinhair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you buy a winch

Im having troulbles finding where to buy a winch, and how much do they cost, and whats the best buy. Any info whould help thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55518.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1292599  
Old 10-11-2009, 07:40 PM
AH1G

Default RE: Where do you buy a winch

I used to build winchs for folks some time back. The boxes were built from 1/2" and 3/4" ACX ply, the motor was a 6v Ford starter with a long shaft, a standard ford starter relay and a basic on/off foot switch with a water resistant trailer plug. The drums weremade from a 4"blank ofturned oak, maple or alder,with the 9" drum sideswere turned 3/16" aluminum. The winch line was 1600 ft of 120 lb, seiners twine. The returns were made from ply and a bycicle wheelhub.I used to sell them for $125.00 minus the battery. I do not know of anyone currently selling them, but I'm sure they are out there.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:13 PM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

Here's something that might help you.

http://www.irfmachineworks.com/lbwinch/
Old 10-11-2009, 11:34 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Winchmart ...sorry couldn't resist!
Old 10-12-2009, 03:22 PM
likeswindinhair

Thanks stang i put it in my favorites. I still want to find more if out there tho. Like a full size winch. Theres plenty here in Idaho, but you cant fly planes with them. That was for you foodstick. Also whould be cool to build one. But ive never seen one. Let alone used one.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:36 PM
likeswindinhair

Forgot to add one I found on my own. That is thru rc soaring digest. But you have to call its not on there web site. Its a ford starter set up on a moving cart that has a swivel basket for the battery. Its pretty mobile, http://www.rcamodels.com/txtray_gateway.htmlile. So far thats it. Unless someone out there can add to this list. Is there any kits out there?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

www.superskeg.com Brian
Old 10-14-2009, 09:32 PM
likeswindinhair

Thanks brian, I appreciate that post. I read on the skegg site where he wont sell one assembled. Due to liability concerns. Im just wondering out loud if thats why there not so readily available. Bit it dont make sense, motors are dangerous gas eletric or etc. So why whould there be extra caution on a winch. Is there dangers Im not aware of. Has there been serious accidents in the past, followed by a lawsuit?
Old 10-17-2009, 01:38 PM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

I've never heard of a lawsuit involving a sailplane winch, but the potential for injury is certainly there.

Nylon twine or mono-filament running at high speed can cut through clothing and skin. Batteries provide enough energy to start fires in faulty wiring, and could even explode if something shorts out. A poorly secured turnaround pulley can be "launched" several hundred feet during a hard launch, and it weighs enough to cause serious injury or death. There's always risks associated with rotating machinery, and I've never seen a winch with a safety shield over the drum.

When you add a retriever to the mix, you've got the small-diameter line that'll float way off downwind during a launch if someone's attention is elsewhere. I've seen retriever lines fall into the spectators at some contests, and a fine line running at high speed can do lots of damage.