Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Which Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:56 PM
tacomaddm18
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Transmitter

I'm looking to take the next step in gliders,, started with a PZ Radian,,, 5 channel TX,,, looking at either the DX6 or the new RDS8000 airtronics,,,

thoughts,,,

thanks
glen
Old 10-14-2009, 01:42 AM
likeswindinhair

Default RE: Which Transmitter

The jr xp 9303 with 2.4 upgrade. Thats what I bought after researching the same question
Old 10-14-2009, 09:46 AM
snuts

If you have no reason for a 72MHZ module in the back. A X9303, 2.4 dedicated will give you years of enjoyment. At first glance it may seem like more radio than you need. And true at this stage, but in a very short time you will be advancing, and looking back saying -boy, I'm sure glad I spent that few extra bucks-. These have very user friendly programing, after a little use they are a snap. I also have an upgraded XP9303 (72 with module), and love it.
-Snuts-
Old 10-14-2009, 09:59 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The DX7 is a pretty good value.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Frede2

I just saw an Airtronics SD-10G at the field yesterday. I came home and looked at the stats online.
I've been salivating ever since.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:01 PM
tacomaddm18
My Feedback: (98)

if no one has anyting bad to say about the airtronics RDS8000 I think that may be for me,,, I can get a new TX and RX for around $139.00,,,,

glen
Old 10-14-2009, 09:00 PM
billteller

Not included in your prospects I know but I have a HITEC optic 6 that has ALWAYS range checked ( ant fully down) 250 ft ( Icant see the surfaces wiggle if I go farther) range is
probably more important in a sailplane than any other use.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:57 AM
MaxAdventure
My Feedback: (7)

Airtronics are known good radios. The RDS8000 looks to have the basic mixing functions and allows for a four servo glider wing. At the price, it looks like a great radio for what you want. The only bad thing I saw about the RDS8000 was limited model memory. 10 is ridiculous in modern radios. Memory is so cheap now. Yes, you use it up faster than you can imagine. I have a couple of planes I use two memories for different flying conditions/testing and I use two for my simulator.

Still, looks like a great radio for you!

In my opinion, a radio is the heart of our hobby and will last through many airplanes, always get the most radio you can. As already stated, you will look back and be glad you did.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:33 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Choosing a Sailplane Radio - What to consider
http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=223

You can fly a full house sailplane on a standard 4 channel radio, or you DX5i, so when you say you are looling for a sailplane radio you need to give us a budget and your goals for the radio. The article above can help you better define your needs. For example, are you planning to fly:

* hand launched, hi-start/winch launched or electric launched?
*RES, ailerons or full house?
*Sport or competition?
*Thermal, slope or hotliner.

I fly full house sailplanes off winches in competition, so my requirements may be different from yours. I wrote the article above so you can read my detailed comments there. I will give the advice I would give members of my club who would be interested in flying full house gliders and who might eventually want to fly in competition. And I will focus on radios that are, or can be flown 2.4.

Until you add flaps and are trying to do full trailing edge camber mixing, most sport radios will get the job done, even the DX6i. You will likely need to use at least one Y cable.

Your refference the DX6 - that is an old parkflyer radio that is not suitable to sailplane pilots. So don't buy it!

The DX6i would not make my list of sailplane radios, but it would be OK for R/E or RES pilots, or a slope pilot flying ailerons. The built in flap mix is on or off only which is pretty limiting for a thermal pilot. It does have two users mixes so you can set up some mixing, but it is limited.

The DX7 has plenty of user mixes so you can create many of the mixes that are popular with full hose pilots but would not make it as a competition radio. But as a sport radio it is fine. Here are some posts about flying the DX7 with sailplanes:

KASRA - Glider mixes on DX7
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=833
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=1907

The JRX9303 is one of the most popular on the competition field

The Futaba 9C Super (no longer made) is also very popular. I have two, one with a Spektrum module.

The Airtronics RDS8000 should be OK for sport glider pilots but but would not make it as a competition radio. As an entry level sailplane radio, on a budget, this might serve you well. Certainly not in the same league as the 9303, the Evo or even the Futaba 9C. If you read the manual, there are airplane and Heli sections but no sailplane sections. They do however tell you how to use some for the features for sailplanes. http://www.airtronics.net/manual/RDS8000.pdf

The SD-10G seems to be getting good reports from sailplane pilots.

The Multiplex royal Evo 9 is also popular among competition Pilots.

I have not seen one but the new Hitec Aurora seems to have a good list of features for sailplanes

Again, read the article. The key factors are your budget and your goals. Any of the listed computer radios can fly a R/E, RES, aileron or full house sailplane. The difference is ease and flexability in creating and using mixes that will allow you to get the most out of your sailplane.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:40 PM
pjanders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aeajr-
Thanks for the link to the "how to choose radio" article. That was very helpful. Especially the the simulated flight that describes where each of the various control functions are used. Very, very helpful. 
Old 10-17-2009, 04:20 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can spend as little or as much as you like. All depends on your goals and your budget.