Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Toy Glider Survey

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:20 PM
DRSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toy Glider Survey

Hello!I am a teacher at a STEM(Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) school in Ohio. We are in the middle of a month-long integrated unit on aerospace where the culminating project will be for the students to construct three separate airfoils for a basic balsa wood glider.As the social studies teacher, I am working with the students on the creation of a company that will manufacture the airfiols for mass production and distribution. For my unit, the students are conducting market research to help determine how much they will charge for the kit (three airfoils and fusalage). Please take a minute or two to complete this survey to help in our project.Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DHGKVRV

Kevin Lydy
Social Studies Teacher
Dayton Regional STEMSchool
Old 12-16-2009, 06:58 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Toy Glider Survey

I took your survey. I realize it is a class project but it really does not tell me enough about the plane.

Size is important. Is this an 8" or 8 foot wing span?

Free flight or Radio control? ( This is RC Universe after all)

The three wings seems overly complicated. Simple glider kits just change the position of the wing to change the flight style.

Do I have to "build" this glider or is this a matter of sliding in the wing? Is it foam or wood, or sheeted foam? No clear.

Just not nearly enough info about the plane or your target market. Is this a toy or something to get someone into a hobby? If it is a toy, the the value of three wings is to have spares.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:39 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It does need more information. I assume a small 8-12" span balsa stick fuselage and molded foam wing and stabs and just a toss toy, no motor or control system. Something like you'd find at K-Mart.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Steve Steinbring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that there is not enough information in the survey. How would one make a price point value judgment when there is little to derive perceived value from?
Old 12-16-2009, 11:15 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this link at U.S. Toys, http://www.ustoy.com/cgi-bin/ustoy_cgi.sh/WService=ustoy/ustoy.com/novelty/dept.htm?stateInfo=mbalEdVbbUpiclju2291|8&dept_id=135&parent_id=0 I think the kids should learn a lot from this endeavor[:@][:@]

Heck, the link won't open!