Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

extra battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:56 PM
hawkman-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default extra battery

hey guys.
im building a sig riser 100.im going brushless with it so i was wondering about the battery in the plane. since i will be up much longer than the other planes will i need to run a reciver battery just for the servos? thank you.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: extra battery

I would go for a higher Mah battery instead of an extra battery to keep the weight in control.
NOTHING ruins a nicely built gliders performance faster than added weight IMHO>
Old 01-19-2010, 08:50 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Typically you have a BEC in the ESC that runs the electronics fromthe motor battery.

The LVC will cut the motor and leave power for the receiver when the packs stratsto get low.   All normal for electric flight.

Ed

Old 01-24-2010, 11:44 PM
heavy metal thunder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is really no need to run an extra battery in your glider. If the ESC has a BEC it will cut off power to the motor before it runs out of power for the radio. Actually it is kind of a hassle to have a separate battery to run the radio because you now have two batteries to charge. The guys running an extra battery are usually your hot liners who can draw a lot of amps and just about kill the battery. I was using a 2250 25c 3s battery in a 100" ws Nomad and got three launches to 400', using about 1700 ma from the battery, flight time of about 30 minutes plus. This Sunday I installed a 3700 25c 3s battery, after rebalancing the glider I came up 3 ounces heavier, I had to add 1/2 oz in the tail. Originally when using the 2250 battery I had to add 2 oz. of lead to the nose. I got 5 launches to 400',using about 2900 ma in a fifty minute flight. I am still experimenting with props. Hit a huge boomer which took the glider to over 800'. At 100" ws
the Nomad was getting a bit small soaring overhead, I had a dickens of time trying to get out of that thermal. Always be sure you have a solid connection between your battery and ESC, you don't want a flyaway. When soaring to higher attitude it is easy to lose sight of your glider.