Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

2X4 elevator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:46 PM
gregstone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2X4 elevator?

Just started to build a 2X4 (House of Balsa) as a way back into flying RC sailplanes and was surprised to find that there is an elevator only on one side of the horizontal stabilizer.

Now I admit I have only built a few simple RC sail planes, but I've built lots of other models and have read an awful lot over the years about airplanes and the history of airplanes and I have never seen a plane design where only one side of the stabilizer has a movable surface - an elevator.

How does this work? I would think using the elevator would also cause the plane to turn?

Is this normal construction these days? What am I missing here? Is there something special I should know about flying this bird?

Any advice, suggestions or general enlightnement will be much appreciated.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:16 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2X4 elevator?

I have seen more than one thermal glider with a one sided elevator and I have seen 1/2A pylon racers with one aileron. With the elevator you really only need enough to keep the nose up in the steepest turn. It can add a slight turn to the plane but the real use was because a simple 2 channel radio does not have expo and it was a way to slow the controls down. You can make it all the way across if you want.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:13 AM
soarhead-RCU

I have built the 2X4 stock with the 1/2 elevator and my latest one (still 10-15 years old) I split the elevator and used a wood dowel to make both sides work. There isnt any difference that I could tell in the way they fly. The first one I lost flying it "Slope" in Colorado in a steep sided bluff that I would have to had climb down and I passed on that idea, just left it to bio-degrade......
I also have built a Mirage, a open class thermal sailplane with 1/2 elevator and it flies great also. It now had been modified like the 2X4, because I flew it into a irrigation system at a sod farm and totaled out the fuse. So rebuilt it with the conventional setup.
Built yours which ever way you want as it flies the same either way as far as I could tell

Happy Flying
Bob
Old 02-28-2010, 10:57 AM
gregstone

Thanks for easing my mind with the helpful responses and shared experiences. Although I have a functional Gentle Lady which I suspect will soar a bit better left over from an earlier excursion into this hobby, the ruggedness and simplicty of the 2X4 maks it a good re-entry point for me. Anyway,I'm in the chute on it and have already built the single elevator, so I'll go that route for starters - and it sounds like I'll never have to change, though it does offend my common sensical understanding of flight control
Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 AM
soarhead-RCU

Greg:
You are correct in the thinking that the 2X4 will not be in the same class as the GL as far thermal flying goes. The 2X4 is a good little handy plane that you can stick in a big car trunk or van assembled, so is a good grab and go flier. I fly mine more as a sloper than pure thermal plane as we have way too much "green" areas to generate strong thermals.
I fly mine as a sloper some in the winter off small earthen dams after the lake has frozen and the wind is right and around 8-10MPH.
I also fly mine with a electric power pod on about 100-130 watts and cruise over cedar tree wind breaks and catch the lift that way.
As you said it is rugged and will take a lot of abuse esp. the wing with the hard wood dowel leading edges and is strong as a tank. Mine with out any CF will go up a heavy duty high start like a rocket and also have winched it many times.. Good little soccer field in-town flyer and will turn on a dime, which the larger planes wont do!!!!!

Happy Flying
Bob
Old 03-01-2010, 10:10 AM
gregstone

Ummm... hate to bother you,. Bob - but could you give some specifics on the electric power pod you use with your 2x4? Brand and model perhaps? The plans suggest a .049 glow engine, but I don't want to try that - however, the idea of putting an electric power pod on it - something above the wing, perhaps, and removable - would be idea, though I don't know if that's what you've done?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Eflite 370 and 400 outrunners on my 2M electric planes. More than enough power for floating around.
An AXI 2820/12 will really yank one up there!
The first is 2Tee I made into a vee-tail, nose mounted motor.
My usual pod on a GL or similar..
And a couple ways to mount the motor.. tractor or pusher.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21930.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1389233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94490.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	1389234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88777.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	124.9 KB