Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

MOTOR UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Boeing
My Feedback: (145)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOTOR UPGRADE

Would like to upgrade the power plant in my Multiplex Easy Glider.

What brushless inrunner motor(s) are you guys using for the upgrade??

Thanks for the info,
Boeing
Old 03-17-2010, 06:08 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: MOTOR UPGRADE

Inrunner?  I presume you plan to mate it to the original gear box.  Is that correct?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Boeing
My Feedback: (145)

Inrunner = Yes.
Would like to go with a direct drive with gearbox as second choice.

Cheers,
Boeing
Old 04-17-2010, 10:46 PM
cobrajocky

I used a 2700kv (2200kv actual measured) 28x35 Turnigy inrunner for almost 6 months through the original gear box. Worked nice until it ate up the press fit brass 10T x 3.17mm pinion I seached 3 months for (the last EFheli pinion Global Hobbies had). I then tried a 10T with a "shoulder" that houses a set screw pinion (there are no press fit 10T x 3.17mm for the motor shaft made by anyone else) that are meant for Heli's, but the shoulder is too long to fit in the stock gear drive and the pinion teeth are the wrong dimension, so the steel main gear in the gearbox ate that pinion.

BTW - IF you use the stock gearbox, which has a 30 tooth steel gear, ONLY a 10T pinion will fit and that gives you a 3:1 gear ratio. So, if you use a 2200kv Inrunner or outrunner, you get 733kv OUT from the reduction gearbox (2200 divided by 3), which means you can use an nice big 12 to 14" folding prop with a 7 or 8 pitch IF your motor can handle the Amps it will draw!

This is the big problem you are going to have trying to do a Inrunner or outrunner thru the stock gear box, no 10T pinions that fit most motors which usually have 3 to 3.17mm shafts, and that steel main gear with eat up brass pinions no matter how much lube you use if you fly even a moderate amount. I have spent days on Google looking for pinions the right size and there is just nothing without the big shoulder. Good luck on that.

Next problem, the EZG E doesn't take nicely to outrunners. Not enough room for anything but a small diameter outrunner (28mm) or you'll have to hollow out the nose, which will make it weak. This happened to me, I had a hard nose landing because of an unexpected wind shear and it snapped the nose like a twig. Also, most 28mm brushless outrunners are pretty under-powered for the heavy EZGE. You'll get performance not much better than you stock brushed 480 motor.

I'm trying to find out if the Easy Glider Pro fuse will take the EZGE wings and tail feathers with no mods and just buying a Pro fuse to replace my broken EZG fuse. The Pro
s front end is bigger and more robust and meant for a 36mm Outrunner (and it's weight).

If anyone knows about this "cross breeding" wings and tail feathers, PLEASElet me know.!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:28 AM
av8djc
My Feedback: (4)

Well I did mine successfully but the nose is a bit tender in a real crash. Just don't crash I cut off the nose just in front of the air inlets eyeballing the thrust line and epoxy glued a 1/8 ply firewall on the front cut to match the spinner first. I used a Turnigy 2836-1000kv (FANTASTIC motor), TGY Plush 30A ESC, HK 45mm folding prop spinner and HK 10/6 foling blades. The motor fits without much if any carving out of the inside. I did carve out the battery compartment to fit a 2200ma 3s pack. With that setup I get 26A/293 watts and near vertical performance. It uses about 350ma/ minute so I get a lot of chances to search for lift. This was well worth the small effort to convert it.

I ended up with this because I bought several inrunners to match the gearbox and the pinion gear match to the shaft size proved to be unworkable. Now I'm very pleased to not have a gearbox.