Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Help! Radian ruder pulling off, how to repair?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Help! Radian ruder pulling off, how to repair?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:19 PM
99GrandTouring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Radian ruder pulling off, how to repair?

Guys I just noticed today when moving my radian the lower part of the rudder has broken free from the fuse..
Keep in mind this is my first foam plane ever...

Is this common?

I went ahead and removed the tape hinge that had come undone on the bottom half only
I then applied a very small amount of foam ca to the "hinge" area and pushed it back together and taped so it is held together.
Is this ok? If so then tomorrow once the ca is set up I'll put some cellophane tape back on each side to act like hinges...

I'd hate to have to get a new fuse for this problem...
Is it possible to cut the rudder off and put "proper" hinges on it?
Thanks!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:52 PM
fudi50
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Help! Radian ruder pulling off, how to repair?

Because the foam is friendly you can use super glue epoxy hot glue. mylar hinges work fine
Old 05-11-2010, 10:36 AM
CBM Racing

About any ca works great on this foam if used sparingly. My rudder got torn right off the vert. stab by a tree branch last fall. I had to walk a looonng way since I couldn't turn to land, heh heh. I just used tape on both sides for hinges with no problem since. Put tape on rudder on one side, keep it deflected to opposite side of tape and press into place and burnish it on good for best adhesion. Then deflect rudder towards tape side and apply the same way leaving just enough gap for free movement. I only taped mine on top, center, and bottom instead of one long strip.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Belemnoid

Skip the glue altogether and just get some 3m hinge tape. You can find it at your LHS. Just put a strip on either side of the rudder and call it a day.
Some folks have used packing tape but I like the 3m stuff.