Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

repairing foam planes sucks.. loosing it with radian..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

repairing foam planes sucks.. loosing it with radian..

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:43 PM
99GrandTouring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repairing foam planes sucks.. loosing it with radian..

well I have to say I'm getting aggrevated with the radian... Maybe I expect to much being being my first foam plane.. I glued the rudder back to the fuse and tapped it... all was good right...... Wrong..

I now find the elevator control rod "staple" is pulling loose, I hate that it is at such and angle there is no good way to run an elevator pushrod on this thing....

Then I try to repair my front canopy mount/ magnet.. From the factory i was missing a chunk of foam that held one if the mounts "wings" on... SO remove the magnet / mount and try to glue in a block of foam for repair... Needless to say eflite foam safe ca that I paid $10 sucks!! Its medium ca but it cures like super slow ca.... an hour later it still hasn't cured and there is no way for me to clamp the piece to hold it overnight for it to dry and I can't hold it any longer.... I'm about to the point to try microballons and epoxy as a filler?

Anyway to upgrade the pushrods to more flexible ones? The ones in my radian are a solid steel rod...

Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: repairing foam planes sucks.. loosing it with radian..

you might try experimenting with elmers ultimate glue for foam..BUT YOU MUST PRACTICE WITH IT, to figure out how it expands . and tends to drip some.

It can be ugly, but it works well...I usually use a sanding drum on a dremel to grind off the excess.. but the key is learn how it acts before your first project attempt.

good luck.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:32 PM
TIA

I've read in a few places that the people who made the Radian got it wrong with the control horns in which they need to be remounted a little more inboard. After that little mod people have had great success.

Foam-Safe CA for the repairs unless a surface that gets leverage, then might need internal reinforcement like skewers or toothpicks and glue.

But pictures are worth a thousand words.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:26 PM
fudi50
My Feedback: (3)

I hope my answers are not redundant.
[1] If you use CA use kicker for instant cure.
[2] 5 min epoxy will work.
[3] carpenters glues wont work the need air to cure
[4] on a bad break use panty hose and CA for reinforcement
As for the Radian until two weeks ago I flew the you know what out of it for 9 months lost a hatch magnet fell out [answer glue it in with Goop takes a while to cure but works better than original] hit the top of a car flying inverted with no power. I figure I have at least sixty hours on the Radian I have flown in all types of weather including 28mph on the slope. I assembled the model as per instructions never changed anything, if I can not retrieve my model from the tree I'll buy another I believe that this is truly the best value for money on the market today, we have a young lad that has flown for the last 5 sundays with a buddy system the last time out was a solo he did need help on landing it was some what windy.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:10 AM
JOHNNYDXYZ

Gorilla Glue.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:10 AM
CBM Racing

In your other thread I warned about staple working loose, and gave the answer that worked for many, so...gorilla glue! Yeah, I know, but it really does work great for most any foam. Also mentioned the difference in the foam types, and not a good idea to mix them. If you are bound and determined to make it work then jab a toothpick into fuse, then stick made up piece into place letting toothpick act as clamp. I think the manual mentions that foam safe ca isn't very good on the z-foam, but others have used it successfully. For lightweight repairs though, it is hard to beat gorilla or similar glues. A thin coating on fuse, wet the new peice with water, toothpick into place, wait a couple hours and its done. Same with pushrod sleeve, a lttle gorilla glue between fuse and sleeve, a wrap of tape for a couple hours, done. Hope you get it sorted out though soon, the weather is comming around for some great thermal action!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:04 PM
99GrandTouring

Well I think the foam safe ca has put a coating or something on it that won't let it bond, because I tried some regular ca and nothing...

I'm down to this for the repair...

Gorilla glue

or I saw in another thread someone used "right stuff" expanding foam to fill in a void and sand it to fit / shape...

heres a pic of the problem area.
[img]{akamaiimageforum}/upfiles/35074/Zw69659.jpg[/img]

Thing that erks me the most is some ca got on the motor area and now the plastic isn't all nice and shiny....

I think down the road I'm gonna replace the pushrods with flexible ones and a ball joint type end on the elevator...
Old 05-12-2010, 10:59 PM
CBM Racing

The triple expanding foam is basically gorilla glue. Big drawback is that once you spray it one time, the nozzle or tube will become plugged, wastin the rest of the can. It is also hard to control on small areas. It does work, but not as controlled as the glue. If all else fails, put a piece of tape on front of canopy to hold it on and just fly it untill it dissapears in the clouds!
Old 05-15-2010, 12:28 AM
99GrandTouring

gorilla glue...[sm=cool.gif]

Set it up about 2 hours ago and its holding strong... Should be able to finish the repair tomorrow!
Thanks guys!
Old 05-15-2010, 11:29 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Regular CA with kicker, not foam safe, that is for EPS foam or wood.

For the staple by the elevator rod, just wrap a piece of white electric tape around the fuse and never have a problem again.

How the heck did you rip off the rudder??????

Foam is not like wood or glass.  It is flexible and things move around.  Its value is in its ability to take punishment and quick easy repairs, if you use the right glue techniques.

Sounds like you have some learning to do about working with different kinds of foam.   Oh, yes, there are different kinds and there are differences on how you fix them.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:35 PM
99GrandTouring

ORIGINAL: aeajr

Regular CA with kicker, not foam safe, that is for EPS foam or wood.

For the staple by the elevator rod, just wrap a piece of white electric tape around the fuse and never have a problem again.

How the heck did you rip off the rudder??????

Foam is not like wood or glass. It is flexible and things move around. Its value is in its ability to take punishment and quick easy repairs, if you use the right glue techniques.

Sounds like you have some learning to do about working with different kinds of foam. Oh, yes, there are different kinds and there are differences on how you fix them.

Yeah this is my first foam plane ever... up till now its always been balsa.. well that and "aircore" for those that remember those...
I have to say the foam is "ok" but I'd prefer a plank plane anyday.

I don't know on the rudder... it didn't rip off just the hinge part below the horizontal stabilizer came loose..
The gorilla glue is working miracles so I'll have it ready for tomorrow
I also am gonna try something for the control horns to see if it will help on the angle / bending the pushrods so much and will post the results.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:57 AM
molokaiboy

Try some hot glue, cheap and it works

Aloha,
Les

Old 09-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Steve Steinbring

I found with my Radian that the push rod tube installation caused a problem with the angle presented in attaching the control horns to the push rods. A few adjustments with a pair of pliers to form an offset with the elevator and rudder push rods relieves the stress to the control horns allowing for smooth operation of the control surfaces.

With my canopy I safety it with a rubber band as it has a tendency to "POP" off even though the magnets are positioned properly. Then use the same rubber band to secure the prop blades in the feathered position when the airplane is stored. Works well for me!