Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Bridi Flipper' Granade Launch Glider__ Need info

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Bridi Flipper' Granade Launch Glider__ Need info

Old 05-18-2010, 08:42 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridi Flipper' Granade Launch Glider__ Need info

Hi All,
I recently picked up a kit and I am trying to determin its origins... its what I like to do
I searched for past posts and only found limited details, views and pics, actually ther is not a lot regarding the Bridi Flipper.

Does anyone have the Bridi Flipper Kit and the time to take a couple / several pics ? or planning to build it.

What I need is pics of the Manuals front cover and random steps, also the bottom right corner of the plans (Designed by and Drawn by etc)

The kit Icame across is typical Bridi white box and Contents, but it has No Name of Manufacturer anywhere in, on, under the box or on the plans or manual.
The art on the box top looks Almost the same as the Bridi Flipper, but again No Mfg Name, pics in manual of the plans show a white'd out bottom right corner..
(It does have photoshop type credits along the border and manual edges the really does nothing to support who kitted / Copied it)

A few Pics, Bridi Flipper vs Flipper

Thanks in advance
Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57049.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1438573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68304.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1438574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh58399.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1438575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87788.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1438576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71138.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1438577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39194.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1438578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86103.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1438579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97375.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1438580  

Old 06-04-2010, 10:42 AM
WORNBOOTS

Default RE: Bridi Flipper' Granade Launch Glider__ Need info

I found  a couple of pics of Bridi"s Kit,

Notice the same specs, and the type box used.

I contacted a person that had done work with Bridi and he suggested it might (Maybe) be a Larry Jolly design.

I am 95% positive these are the same kits, though they changed the wing mounting to bolt-on and apparently the assembly manual Plus ??

Still in pursuit of the facts..... Dan
Old 06-04-2010, 04:19 PM
marmitas
My Feedback: (1)

It is a Flipper. The kit was manufactured by Bridi. The manual and the color label in the box were created by Xerox for a promotional campaign. Myself and another person were responsible for the project. Both of us are modelers and worked at Xerox at the time (about 15 years ago). I comisioned another modeler to write the manual including the photos. Also we cleaned the plans and printed them in one of Xerox wide bed plotters. Then, the manuals and the text in the plans were translated to several languages.
Why would Xerox have anything to do with an RC glider?
Here is the answer:
Xerox had launched a machine called Docutech 135 and it was presented at a major event in NY City. Customers were invited from all over the world. What we wanted to emphasize was the capability to print-on-demand technical documentation. As customers walked through the stand they received a box with all the parts minus the plans and the manuals. While they listened to a presentation the documents were printed in the language of the individual customer.
What you have is a Bridi kit with better documentation.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:43 PM
WORNBOOTS

Now that is a lot more then I expected and Highly Appreciated

Digging around looking for kits and running across this one really grabbed my interests, so it goes "I just had to buy it"

Was there any technical reason for leaving the Bridi name off of it ? thats what intrigued me the most... It looked so much like a bridi kit but no name.

So the kits were provided by / purchased from Bridi 'without a Label, Plans or Manual' ? for handing out to possible clients,
then you printed the manuals, plans and label which was then adhered to the box on site...

I have to admit the Manual and Plans are very nicely done, and look like they were just done yesterday' still.

Did the demo work well for you in the long run, customer base wise?

Thank You for all the info'

Dan
Old 06-04-2010, 08:48 PM
marmitas
My Feedback: (1)

The demo worked very well. It demonstrated the capabilities of the equipment. The airplane was just a vehicle to show the printing capabilities. I knew Bridi for years before all this happened (lived a few miles from his shop and we belonged to the same club).
When I called and told him the number of kits (in the thousands) that we wanted he thought I was joking. I don't think that he ever got an order for that many planes.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:08 PM
WORNBOOTS

I stomped around over hill in the high desert for 20 years but never made it to his place, though I wanted to check it out.

I had asked Buzz if he knew anything about it, but the flipper was unknown to him.

Any way you made my day on this one, thanks for all the great info...

Dan
Old 06-05-2010, 03:05 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

WOW! What a slick story!

So there must be many hundreds of these "print on demand" kits out there. And they were all given to folks that other than a very small percentage were not model builders. Sadly many of these will have ended up in the trash most likely. But for the rare few like this one it's been a bit of a miraculous journey.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:21 PM
WORNBOOTS

Hey BMatthews

He hit the nail on the head apparently, as I did not mention much of the printing details and only posted a small portion in the pics.

What amazes me is I was mainly after verification of it being bridi, but got much more than I expected'
 At least now 1 of several thousand is accounted for.

Makes all the searching worthwhile even though I stumbled upon this one, and whats the odds on the person who had a hand in it answering this post ? 1 in 30 Million or more... That's why RCU is a great resource