Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Need recommendation on rc sailplane for my son

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Need recommendation on rc sailplane for my son

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:46 AM
leesdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need recommendation on rc sailplane for my son

Would like to build a balsa/tissue plane with my 10 year old son. I did it when I was a teen, but that was long ago. Would like to have a "tow type" plane (no prop), but have rc control of flight (which I didn't have back then before radio had been invented;-). Don't have much $, so am willing to use less sophisticated (used?) radio. Definitely want him to build it (glue/balsa/etc) instead of a prebuilt model. We live on a farm, and the wind can blow, but we'd only fly on calm days. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Ranfred Radius
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need recommendation on rc sailplane for my son

This little guy would be great for you little guy! I built several of them as a youngster. Unfortunately I don't think it is available anymore.[] The only other suggestion I have, is the Gentle Lady from Carl Goldberg Models..

Good Luck!

Randy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11770.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1451101  
Old 06-10-2010, 01:36 PM
plane-addict

Leesdad,

You wrote that you want to build and don't want to change you mind on that. However, I would like to suggest you to reconsider or at least postpone your idea to build with balsa and go with a pre-build plane (Almost Ready to Fly) first. Since starting with flying a radio control plane isn't easy, he might loose interest after crashing his plane. When he is comfortable flying his plane, then start building a plane with him. Maybe it's winter at that time and that is a better season to build than spring/summer (when we want to fly).

If you allow me, I suggest to start with something like this: [link]http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8359[/link]. Not really a glider, but close and a good plane to start with. Also, easy to repair if you manage to crash it. Just with a little (foam safe) glue. This battery goes very well with it: [link]http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9165[/link]. You might need to exchange connectors.

Here is a radio that is nice for a starter: [link]http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8337&Product_Name=Hobby_King_2.4Ghz_4Ch_Tx_&_Rx_V2_%28Mode_1%29[/link]. Won't hurt much at US$ 23.00.

If I have convinced you and you need more information, just ask here. I will keep an eye on this thread.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:22 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

For his first try and your return to model building may I suggest a couple or three basic balsa chuck gliders as a start? A basic all balsa chuckie will help him learn the skills of working with the tools and the balsa and be excellent training for any follow on built up gliders or even power models. And the all sheet chuck gliders have the advantage that you can build them in the morning and fly them in the afternoon. And that counts for a lot with the young ones. It's also good training in understanding the need for proper trimming of the balance point and working with altering the surfaces to obtain the correct trim. Again experience and knowledge that will come in very handy for the built up and more advanced projects.

There's a number of plans out there to get started on if you google for "free flight hand launch glider". I've also taken the liberty of attaching a couple of plans of my own for your consideration.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Zx70971.pdf (144.5 KB, 26 views)
Ez82663.pdf (256.5 KB, 17 views)
Gl20153.pdf (798.8 KB, 11 views)
Yr48156.pdf (435.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-12-2010, 02:38 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: leesdad

Would like to build a balsa/tissue plane with my 10 year old son. I did it when I was a teen, but that was long ago. Would like to have a "tow type" plane (no prop), but have rc control of flight (which I didn't have back then before radio had been invented;-). Don't have much $, so am willing to use less sophisticated (used?) radio. Definitely want him to build it (glue/balsa/etc) instead of a prebuilt model. We live on a farm, and the wind can blow, but we'd only fly on calm days. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Father Son projects are always great. Iapplaud your desire to spend quality time with your son.

Not sure what you mean by a "tow type" glider. Do you mean one that you launch by running with a tow line or one that would use a hi-start. I have no experience with tow line gliders but lots of experience with hi-start launched gliders.

With no budget provided we have no guidance as to what kind of $$ are available. Today, introductory ARFs can be put in the air at lower cost than kits so some guidance is needed.

Is your goal to teach him to build or to teach him to fly. Ipresume it is both but which is your priority? While foam may not be your preferred approach, it has a better chance of providing a [positive first flying experience as it is harder to break and easier to fix. An Easy Glider Pro kit may be your best path here. Not as complex as a wood kit, flies well, is hard to break and easy to fix.

if you spend weeks building a wood and tissue kit with your son and it ends up broken the first day he may lose interest real fast. Many people have left the hobby for this reason. And this is the reason for the explosive rise in foam planes. They are great for learning and some are super soaring machines.

If you REALLYwant to build a wood kit, then Iwould look at the kit planes from www.skybench.com as their reputation is excellent. Also, www.mountainmodels.com has some good, low cost kits. Ipresuem you can cover them with tissue rather than the more popular monokote/ultracote.

As for balsa and tissue, except for the old timers, I don't know anyone who builds with tissue anymore for hi-start launhcing.. Too delicate. However if you AREtalking about tow line, run in front of the glider, here Ihave no knowledge at all.

As for radios, today's entry level standard radios are practically free, so going used may not be the best path. Ican go more into this if you like.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:44 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Back in those days it was all running with a tow line. These days we get the rubber, or a motor, to do the running for us. Well, other than F3J.

When converted to RC any of the old classic tow line gliders would be just fine on a high start.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Lnewqban

Welcome to the RCU forums, leesdad.

I have been in your situation several years ago.
Now, my son is a teenager and he flies RC powered models (much better than me, I must say).

Besides the excellent previous advices, I recommend you to check this website, which offers tow line gliders and tissue:

http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/g.htm

I believe the models can use any of the miniature light RC gear available today for control of elevator and ruddder.
There is plenty of information here in RCU about radios.
Good used packages can be found in RCU marketplace.

In order to download the files attached to post #4, right click on each icon, select "Save target as", and download them into your computer.

You may find more free plans and tissue covering ideas at these sites:

http://www.theplanpage.com/

http://pensacolafreeflight.org/pageD...p?pageid=13152

Congratulations, you are both beginning a memorable experience.