Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

anyone interested in 2 Meter Fling build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

anyone interested in 2 Meter Fling build

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:49 AM
tlar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone interested in 2 Meter Fling build

I just received my new 2.4 MHz radio and Fling 2 meter. Anyone interested in the build with a soon to follow build of the Vista sailplane.
I will compare both.
This will be my second and third ARF. The first being a fling handlaunch. My previous experience in recent years is scratch building from plans.
I have been building since age 9 I am now 63. The early years were kits.

And a question. The Fling will definately accept standard servos but I fear there may be some interference with the canopy (my airtronics sevos seem kind of tall). Can anyone suggest good micro servos for a reasonable price.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:46 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: anyone interested in 2 Meter Fling build

Anything from the major brand names are going to be good. I've also had excellent results with Hitech servos. HS-80's and HS-85's I have are trouble free.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:53 PM
snuts

I support your build thread! I have a 2M Fling and love it. I am far from new to gliders, but this is a great, easy to aquire and built 2m glider. I did use Hitec HS85's in mine and would use the same if I did it again.
-Snuts-
Old 06-11-2010, 07:20 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Go for it![8D]
Old 06-12-2010, 02:24 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm in.  I love build threads!
Old 06-14-2010, 01:23 PM
tlar

Rather than a build (ARF isnt really building) it will be a review from a novice ARF assembler.

Subject Fling 2 meter
Tower hobbies

Delivery was fast from Tower Hobbies. The big box was packed very well. Bet I could hit it with a baseball bat and not break anything.

The Fling box: Somebody must have stock in packing tape. But all parts were present and none broken.

First impressiion. Lots of small wrinkles but overall a better covering job than I could do. As soon qas my iron gets here (LHS did not have) I will see if they remove better than the handlaunch wrinkles. The covering (maybe monocoat) is much thicker than the handlaunch fling. I expect no problem smoothing things out.

The wrinkles were present on all covered surfaces but most well into center of open areas. A few small ones on a couuple of ribs and slightly larger where outer panel joins to inner panel of the wing.

None are bad enough to get me upset.
FIRST IMPRESSION. I am a happy camper

If someone really wants pictures at this stage I will post them Let me kjnow.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:34 PM
CBM Racing

Hey, I would like to see pics of about every stage. Never know when I might be needing info or visuals on a similar model. Also had thought about 2m fling, but never really saw or heard anything about it quality wise or flying it really, so post away if you can!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:51 AM
tlar

Well OK. Here are a few of the Flings wrinkles.
The radio is Airtronics SD-5G. My first 2.4 GHz. I may have problem keeping antenna(s) inside since they call for 90 degree seperation.

Fuselage. Flat area cut into boom for horizontal stab attachment. Not exacly square with centerline of fuse. Very easy fix.
Servo tray not exactly level with bottom of fuse. Not an easy fix so I will live with it. Not all that bad really. The servos will be 1/16 inch out of level.
3 position towhook only has middle hole drilled. So I have to fix that. No real problem.

Thats all I have till Tower sends my iron and heat gun.
Thanks for reading.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	db86555.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	1453396   Click image for larger version

Name:	yt61132.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	1453397   Click image for larger version

Name:	ye84483.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	1453398   Click image for larger version

Name:	fy71757.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	1453399   Click image for larger version

Name:	gr93435.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	1453400   Click image for larger version

Name:	si71141.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	1453401   Click image for larger version

Name:	il93047.jpg
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	1453402  
Old 06-15-2010, 03:56 PM
CBM Racing

Not to bad on the wrinkles, I've made worse in years past(and years to come). Nice looking bird really.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:16 PM
planefreak123
My Feedback: (5)

just wondering, I was thinking about getting one of these, I dont live by any hills or anything would this be a problem! do you think i should go with the small fling!!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:04 AM
tlar

To answer the question you have to answer a couple of questions.
1. Do you already know how to fly RC. If not you need a trainer (I have limited experience , mostly with the small Fling.) I chose the Vista as my trainer I bought the two meter Fling
to assemble since the Vista is back oerdered. I will fly that after I learn some more.

2, You dont need hills for thermal gliders. But some get a model with a motor. Since I dont like the hassel with LIPO batteries I , broken props noise etc I choose a "pure" sailplane.
The Vista was recommended by my brother in law (an avid contest flier) as a good trainer.

OK the handlaunch (small Fling) flew very well. But since my arm isnt all that good at throwing I used the mini high start (included). There is very little space for servos I used pico servos from GWS. And a small receiver. I had to build up the receiver batteries since I could not find any locally. My first flight lasted 4 minuts. The only thing I didnt like was the puul pull system is difficult to install and finally one og them came loose and I crashed. I understand that if you install small springs from the servo arm to the strings keeps everything tight. I will buy another soon so I can fly in a smaller fields and at the beach. I dont know for sure but I think it would be hard to install the two antennas on some 2.4MHz systems.

Others on the sight will give you lots of advice on what to buy. All are fun!.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:42 PM
planefreak123
My Feedback: (5)

1. yes I already fly! just not gliders!

2. I also dont like the hassle! so i will go with just a pure glider

well thanks for your help! I will probably go with the fling! or do you think the 2m fling will be a better buy! im wanting something i can fly in a medium sized field at my house! but if you think the big fling would be better i could just drive to the flying field!
Old 06-18-2010, 07:25 AM
tlar

A lot can be said for just picking up a small HLG . No long high starts to stretch out. Just throw and go! BUTsooner or later you will want to stay up longer. A larger sailplane will be needed.
I cannot speak to the two meter flying qualities since mine hasnr been flown.

Its kind of funny about us Americans. We gotta go faster, gotta get a bigger...
Old 06-19-2010, 01:17 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: tlar

Rather than a build (ARF isnt really building) it will be a review from a novice ARF assembler.

Subject Fling 2 meter
Tower hobbies

Delivery was fast from Tower Hobbies. The big box was packed very well. Bet I could hit it with a baseball bat and not break anything.

The Fling box: Somebody must have stock in packing tape. But all parts were present and none broken.

First impressiion. Lots of small wrinkles but overall a better covering job than I could do. As soon qas my iron gets here (LHS did not have) I will see if they remove better than the handlaunch wrinkles. The covering (maybe monocoat) is much thicker than the handlaunch fling. I expect no problem smoothing things out.

The wrinkles were present on all covered surfaces but most well into center of open areas. A few small ones on a couuple of ribs and slightly larger where outer panel joins to inner panel of the wing.

None are bad enough to get me upset.
FIRST IMPRESSION. I am a happy camper

If someone really wants pictures at this stage I will post them Let me kjnow.

Progress report?

Old 06-19-2010, 06:21 PM
tlar

Since my LHS had no shrink irons in stock I had to orderfrom Tower. While I was at it Iordered the epoxy CA and two micro servos. IThe stuff arrived yesterday but overtime at work has prevented any progress. But Monday is coming (I work nights)

First ourder of business is shrinking then glue the wing halves togerher. Then the tail
I weill keep up this review.
mike

Old 06-19-2010, 06:26 PM
aeajr

A standard clothes iron will work.  Just turn off the steam.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:33 AM
tlar

Ok removing wrinkles is not fun nor as easy as I thought. I got most of them except some small ones across the open areas in the rudder. The stuff when you apply heat gets worse but as it cools it shrinks. The areas in question are across circular lightening holes . Not big wrinklwes but irritatating. But unless someone has some method of removing them I guess they will have to stay.

Also got my battery packs 320 Ma4.8 volts....wonder how long they will stay useable with two servos?

Speaking of servos I got two Hitec servos. Hint ...measure the mounting holes first these servos almost fall through the holes.There is no place for the screws to bite into since the tabs have no wood under them.

Anyone  recommend a not too expensive ( running out of cash) servo that will fit Airtronics recvr? Hole measurement is 1.5" X .5" . Will save the two hitech servos for handlaunch. My son gave me an Amazon gift card they have the handlaunch fling for less than Tower and free shippling so probably will get that, I dont know about off brand servos but this glider will weigh around 25 oz. (I could cut out and use the standered servo mounting and use my Airtronics servos but they are pretty heavy). GWS any good (which one Nano or Pico? I guess whichever is larger.)

Conclusion. Not pleased with wrinkles I have done worse covering jobs but I have also built with no wrinkles at all.
Still would buy this sailplane again again! But afyter the HLG Fling and the Vista I will roll my own from purchased plans. I want to build scale 2 or 3 meter ships. (OK stand off scale)Love DG's (the real ones fly great!! between thermals you crank in a little negative flap and the accelerate and will outrun any sailplane in the air If I only had 100 grand!!! and a friend with a tow plane)
Old 06-21-2010, 04:56 PM
aeajr

A hair dryer or heat gun works much better. It does not press the film down so it can move as it shrinks. Especially good over open frame wing designs and lightening holes.

If you are going to use an iron, use it with little or no pressure.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:19 AM
tlar

Right!! Today epoxied the wing joiner. Two metal blanks sandwhich between thin ply. Went well. Also assembled the tail. Pictures attached. The plans forgot to tell me there is a notch in the leading edge of the stab but I saw it and cut away the covering. The fin needed minor trimming to enable the fin to mate gapless with the stab. No problems.
The picture show where the wrinkle is on the fin. I have not yet put locktight on the nuts that hold the fin in place. I want to make sure it is all square with the fuselage .Actually I probably will have to construct something to hold everything. The glasses I wear makes a straight line look curved and I dont trust my eyes enough to do it by eye.

Hopefully if the epoxy sets well (very humid here) I will join the wings Thursday. Friday will have to go local and get two mini servos to replace the micros I ended up with. Next time I will measure before buying!

Name:	pn37439.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	1457370   Click image for larger version

Name:	oj28578.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	1457371   Click image for larger version

Name:	rw59383.jpg
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	1457372   Click image for larger version

Name:	xr46130.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1457373  
Old 06-23-2010, 11:22 AM
tlar

The micros will be great for the HLG Fling.....my wife is gonna kill me!

Do most of you buy a new rcvr for each airplane or just swap them around. With the 2.4 MHZ  Airtronics the day of really cheap rcvrs are gone. Will use 72 MHz in the HLG
Old 06-25-2010, 01:28 PM
tlar

greetings. The Vista arrives next week. Thought I would compare the two assemblies from a begginners view.

Name:	jh14691.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1458229   Click image for larger version

Name:	cx74452.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1458230   Click image for larger version

Name:	lq38695.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1458231  
Old 07-07-2010, 10:25 AM
tlar

Build finished. Weight aprox 19 ounces without receiver (on order NOROOMfor my two receivers)
Quality OK but not great. Not yet flown.
I learned to mount rudder and elevator horns before doing anything else.

VISTA:

Build starts Thursday. Quality compared to Fling is great in fact could find no errors in covering. I bet the Vista thermals better!!

Should I continue??
Old 07-14-2010, 11:28 PM
snuts

Yes!
Always very helpful, a comparative build from a fresh glider pilots point of view. There must be several others looking at both ARF's as you have, trying to decide which way to go.

Best to you, enjoy your summer.

-Snuts-
Old 07-15-2010, 11:13 AM
tlar

More on the Fling:

Surprised to find that the plane is very tail heavy even though the instruction claimed that theirs balanced without adding lead. So what I have to do is move battery and receiver under the wing to make room in the nose for lead. This involves me finding some way to mount both other than just wrapping in foam and stuffing them in. I tried that but they either move around or the foam interfereres with steel actuater wires. Probably will use velcrow.

The other thing is I do not wish to use stick on weight so have to design a system of adding weights so they can be removed or added to easily when necessary. Thats done in my head just have to try it.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *

Vista:

I am very well pleased with the Vista so far. I do not have much time so what could really be accomplished in 3 hours is taking me weeks. Some days I do no model stuff.

Anyway servo mounts in. Wings are joined.. There will be no problem adding weights to this one. The only problem I see is the two antennas on the 2.4 MHz rcvr , Would like tokeep them inside but itsays do not make them parallel to each other. If this one needs weight in thenose I will not use the recommended battery but will make up a 4.8 Vpack from rechargeble AAANiMh or if more is needed AANiMh. 720mA and 2000 mAfor the AA, May as well make the weight useful.

I have two options: I can wait until August 15 and let my B in law trim and test fly or I can fly in two weeks by myself. Yes I know let B in law set them up. Although I did ok with my HL fling 4 years ago using its mini upstart. I dont fear the actual flying but am worried trying the high start .

As far as my goals I want to scratch build 4 meter scale If I can find plans for one that can use high start and doesnt have a high sink rate. I would do built up wings as they seem lighter than foam. Fuselage will be stripping over frames like some strip built kayaks.

For fast fun I will get another HL fling or maybe build a cheap pusher jet from park jet plans.

Any info on scale sailplane plans let me no "free" is good.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:58 AM
tlar

Well no wind nice day so decided to try and fly the Fling.
Did a range check a couple of tosses to make sure trim was still OK. Then stretched the high start for first launch.
I learned several things.
1. I should letexperienced pilot check it out first but really nothing wrong with the plane.
2.bolt the wing on instead of rubber bands.
3. Always use full capability of the high start. ( I only stretched about half of what I should have.).
First launch tracked out but as I expected started veering to the left (hand launch fling did the same thing) But a quick blip on the rudder straightened everything out. It popped off at about 60 feet (I probably needed some up elevator) . Sadly there wasnt a second launch.
It popped off started its glided I did a couple of shallow turns to left and right decided to turn arounf and bring it back (now about 30 feet high). Got it tuurned around and headed back after about 3 seconds it seemed to stop fling and nose went up (Stall) put in down but by now the left wing had stalled and went over the top. Nose came down sharply no time to recover. Went in steeply on the nose But the shock and tension of the rubber bands crushed the wing . I know because I heard the wing crushing and it did not hit the ground until it stopped.
Good thing I like building.
Will rebuild wing (different colors) Since its open may install spoilers. Dont know yet.
Hey it was great fun. Really!!

Name:	if10773.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1474157   Click image for larger version

Name:	lj21485.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1474158   Click image for larger version

Name:	eb86750.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	1474159  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.