Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Need Help Selecting a Small Cheap Motor

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Need Help Selecting a Small Cheap Motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Fidy$Trainer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Selecting a Small Cheap Motor

Hey guys,
I have a little Multiplex Merlin that I want to turn into a screamer. I need a little help selecting a 28 mm inrunner for my setup. I would like your recomendations on Prop Size and motor from Hobby King or other value conscious hobby shop. My budget wont allow me to get a good quality motor and this is more of an experiment so if it doesnt work out then I'm not a whole lot out of pocket.

I previously used a 28mm 1000k Outrunner with a 9x5 folding prop made about 160w on 3S 1300 25C Motor weighs about 60g. Althought it could go unlimited vertical it seemed very animec for a mini "hotliner" I'm thinking I need a much higher KV motor in the range of 2200-2700KV range with a much smaller prop to make this birdie sing or flutter :-). I've put links to a couple of motors that I think would be decent candidates. If someone could chime In I would really appreciate it.

2200kv inrunner
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5203
or
2700kv inrunner
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4201

Also what size prop's should I use. I have a 25A Electrifly ESC. I was thinking start with a 5x5 or 6x4 with the 2200kv and or with the 2700kv go with a 4.75x4.75

Should I get a folding prop spinner? More in line with a hotliner?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Fidy$Trainer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need Help Selecting a Small Cheap Motor

Bump
Old 08-08-2010, 08:19 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Need Help Selecting a Small Cheap Motor

Your first link is no longer up so that would make it seem like the motor is no longer available or maybe it just has a new page of info. For the second motor if you read down into the comments at the bottom of the page there's lots of accounts of the battery pack and props they used. Mostly it seems to be comments on 5x5's and 5x4.5's. With the higher RPM and that sort of pitch it'lly either sing or explode from the speed....