Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Another ESC question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:22 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another ESC question

Hey Glider Guiders,
I have an RC timer (probably same as a Pelikan) A-3536/5 1450KV brushless motor.
Motocalc shows a 9/4.5 prop recomedation but I could not tell what ESC.
I have several choice of lipos on hand 2s 1300(could hook two together), 3s 2200 and
4s 2200. possibly the 4s is to large to fit in fuse.
the plane is the Reichard Mefisto a 2 meter aileron elevator (T tail) rudder.
I am looking for a moderate to good climb and not to much weight.

What ESC should I start with?
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2010, 07:30 PM
rscarawa

Default RE: Another ESC question

First, figure out what the max amp draw you will need. Then buy a controller rated for that current or higher. ESCs are rated on amps more than volts. Also determine if you need a ubec built in to the ESC.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:58 PM
OzMo

played around with motocalc some more and looked up same size turnigy.
Here is what I think I will run.
2s lipo, 40AMP ESC, 9/5 prop. enough zip but not to heavy. What do ya think?[sm=idea.gif]
Old 08-14-2010, 03:20 AM
Tinkrerpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Ozmo, your off to a good start. Have you checked out the websites to see what they are using?
Will work better with a larger prop in the 10X6 to 11X5 size. You could start with the 9X4 and see where it goes. But from the sound of things, it mat be too small for the motor.

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=2842

http://www.reichard.cz/en/models/ele...iders/mefisto/

From the Reichard Modelsport sight.
Motor : 250+W ( MVVS 3,5, AXI 2814/xx , Mega AC 22/20/x )
Regulator : 30-40A
Batteries : 8 NiXX, 3 LiPo
Servo : ailerons HS-81, elevator HS-65HB, rudder HS-81
Propeller : due engine manufacturer
Old 08-14-2010, 08:11 AM
OzMo

Thanks Tinkerpilot,
It appears I got the older Mefisto. OK by me as I got it for $113 shipped. 30mm shorter fuse and no CF roving in the fuse. I can easily add some cf roving. I can place mine a bit higher or closer to the hatch and wing seat egdges. My buddy's kid has the newer version. He bonked it in a bit so I helped them do some glass repair. His chiped out the epoxy do to impact flex above the roving into the edges around the hatch. A bit o kevlar scap, some West System epoxy with micro ballons and thickening agent dammed in with palstic wrap and popsicle sticks, gave him a clean smooth finish. Easy to repaint later in he wishes.
My calcluations for the motor were fairly close to the Reichard site's. My motor is one I have so it wil be slightly heavier but close or stronger in power.
Now down to the dungeon to see what spinners and props are on hand. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2010, 08:35 AM
OzMo

The hacker recomended is about x2 in weight and 900KV as my motor is bigger in diameter but shorter and 1450 KV I think I will stick close to a 9/5 prop. I'm an old modeler but new at electric power. I am learning a bunch and having fun doing it. Now I have an excuse to unwrap the amp meter! Now I can check and see what a bigger prop will do. Nice to have a starting point though. I hate blue smoke

Since I have an assortment of batteries and ESCs can I run a 50 or 80 AMP ESC on a
2s 2200mah lipo and be able to change up to 3s 2200mah without causing blue smoke?
I'm not sure how that works yet.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:04 AM
rscarawa

Running an 80 amp controller when you need only 30-40 amps will be ok. The only problem I can see is the high amp controllers take up more room, weigh a little more and may have wires thicker than you need. I doubt there will be smoke issues though. I say if you have an 80 controller already, try using it. If not, get something more appropriate for your task.

For high amps, consider:
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/phoenix-80.html
OR
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...oenix_ice.html (75 amp)

For something more reasonable, consider :
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...oenix_ice.html (50 amp)
Or
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/phoenix-45.html

Personally, I think the motor you are looking at may be large unless you are building a warm or Hotliner. According to the mfg website, the recommended motor is AXI 2814/xx and this is a thermal machine . http://www.reichard.cz/en/models/ele...iders/mefisto/ I run this motor (2814/12) in my Spirit 2m and it pulls it well on 2s around 28 amps. If you run 2S, this is a good motor. Still a good motor on 3s too. If you want more power, consider 2814/16 with the recommended prop. See how these configurations work in Moto Calc. If you power this sailplane like a thermal glider, 35 amps on the ESC will be enough.

Scot
Old 08-14-2010, 02:16 PM
OzMo

It will be a warm liner I guess. I have the motor and it fits nicely. I looked and I had a 40A esc. So if I don't overprop it I should be in the ball park. Ordering 9/6 blades and 35mm spinner.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:09 PM
rscarawa

That should be more than enough. If you find you need more power, go up a cell in battery and down in prop. Verify new config with Motocalc.

Scot
Old 08-14-2010, 11:46 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

A good hint regardless of the motor and esc is to not wrap the ESC in foam or any other insulation. Instead try to ensure it has at least a decent amount of air around it and ideally there should be at least a slight air movement through the compartment where the ESC lives. Even when run in a well underrated condition they generate some heat and if wrapped in foam rubber it can't get away so it'll pile up and force a shutdown when you'd never expect it.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:28 AM
OzMo

I will be useing a nose cone with the hole in the center and the fuse has vents as well.
With Slimers its the vibration that gets the gear. With Leckys to much heat and the blue smoke gets out.