RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/)
-   -   Phoenix 2000 EPO Composite R/C glider by Hobby King (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/10622926-phoenix-2000-epo-composite-r-c-glider-hobby-king.html)

linkadrip 07-15-2011 03:26 PM

Phoenix 2000 EPO Composite R/C glider by Hobby King

1 Attachment(s)
<a target="_blank" href="http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15859__Phoenix_2000_EPO_Composite_RC_Glider_Plug _%26_Fly_USA_Warehouse.html">Phoenix 2000 EPO Composite by Hobby King

J</a>ust purchased this one from Hobby King coming from Overseas think i'll receive it within the month hopefully.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/47_47.gif

So thought id start a thread on this one couldnt seem to find any threads on this plane here on RCU.

Any Input youd like to add about this plane feel free to post it here in this thread thanks.

Phoenix 2000 manufacture video<br type="_moz" />

DUCO 07-21-2011 06:44 PM

RE: Phoenix 2000 EPO Composite R/C glider by Hobby King

Well, I for one have had nothing but great luck from Hobby King and am glad to see someone go for a glider from them. Looking forward to hearing your flight report. As far as to how long to get depends on how you picked to ship and the amount paid, you can have in 3 or more days, but is not cheap, but everytime I have opted for this ship method, have had before the week was up.

DUCO 07-30-2011 05:50 PM

HAVE YOU RECEIVED THIS YET ?

linkadrip 07-31-2011 12:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
YEP REPORT PENDING!!!! Packaging looks okay no damge visable appears to all be there. will post a full review soon..

linkadrip 07-31-2011 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
<div style="margin-left: 40px; "><span style="font-size: medium; "><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; ">Well the packaging was Decent &amp; the plane arrived with no damage Cosmetically, Took about 3 weeks to get it from china not to bad pacel post. The assembly was pretty easy didnt take to long to assemble.
The instructions are very poor, best to have some Experince with building models, Decals were fairly easy to install not bad.
The clevises are very poor, i purchased mini Dubro Clevis from a local hobby shop to replace just one on the rudder, the rest i was able to use silocone fuel line on to keep them closed they dont lock like you higher quality Clevises. The mini dubro fit the control rod but will slide if not CA'ed (super glued in position So good to make sure your servos are centered and make your adjustments then CA the clevis on the control rod. Im sure ther are better methods, but this was a quick fix.
One servo the elevator servo was stripped, swaped it out with a hightec HS 65 mg witch fit just fine in place of the damaged one the plane was shipped with.

HAve two 25C 2200MAh 3 cell batteries witch i use in the plane no problem with CG. CG was spot on, &amp; flight time is about 30 minutes with one, considering i just use the power to get the plane to altititude &amp; then cut power and drift around till i need power to get it back up to were i want it.
Upon connecting the ESC to the battery for the first time to test my AR6000 Spektrum Receiver &amp; give throttle to Test, The ESC When POOF!!!! Up in a cloud of Smoke and the motor spit out a little smoke as well. So i was thinking, OH NO!!!! Im going to have to get a new motor &amp; ESC. Luckily i had an ALIGHN 35 amp ESC from an old Trex 450 XL i use to have. So replaced the ESC &amp; the motor Spins up nicely had to program it for aircraft mode not to good an idea having heli mode &amp; soft start on a plane. But after programing the brake and aircraft mode it works great.
So friend and i took the plane out for its maiden flight yesterday &amp; all went well, Flies very nicely, does not glide as well as i had hoped, sink rate it pretty extreme but have to remember im using a 25C 2200MAH 3 cell battery witch is pretty heavy. Considering the plane balances out perfectly with this battery the suggested battery would have to be moved foward a considerable amount to get the CG correct. &amp; possably even weight added to the plane.
So this morning i took it out and gave it another whirl, and used the motor more and did some loops and rolls plane doesn't roll to well, better make sure you have some altitude when you do it, But its a glider and not desighned for aerobatics too, but it is possable.
All in all i'm satisfied with the plane haven't flownit on a non windy day both days the wind has been about 10 to 15 mph. But makes it super easy to land with a good head wind.
</span></span></div><div style="margin-left: 80px; "><span style="font-size: medium; "><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; ">On a calm day im thinking it may come in pretty hot, Since were having thunderstorms in the area there isnt any thermals to speak of will have to take it out after the storms are done on a good hot day and see how it rides the colums of hot air pretty sure i'll be able to get allot more flight time.
So for being a relatively cheap Glider im impressed, total was 116 shipped and i spent about 3 on clevises, THe ESC would have cost more but i was lucky i had one laying around as well as some back up servos.

The field we fly in friend is flying his SKYFLY Gotta land in the weeds. Would be nice to place captions on the picshttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif<br type="_moz" /></span></span></div><div style="margin-left: 40px; "></div>

aeajr 08-03-2011 07:38 PM

YOu got a brand new glider and upon power up the ESC and motor go up in smoke.

You sayone of the servos was stipped.

Replacing a clevis is no bigdeal.

But overall you are satisfied? Man you are easy to please.

BTW I have read similar reports by other owners. Poor quaity control and poor customer support.

I would consider that a disaster of a product delivery. I would never recommend a package that failed like this one has.

What is HK doing for you for the failed components?

And you say it does not glide very well?

DUCO 08-04-2011 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: aeajr

YOu got a brand new glider and upon power up the ESC and motor go up in smoke.

You say one of the servos was stipped.

Replacing a clevis is no big deal.

But overall you are satisfied? Man you are easy to please.

BTW I have read similar reports by other owners. Poor quaity control and poor customer support.

I would consider that a disaster of a product delivery. I would never recommend a package that failed like this one has.

What is HK doing for you for the failed components?

And you say it does not glide very well?
DITTO, man I have never had this too happen, but I sure would be firing off a e-mail for them to stand behind what had been purchased!

aeajr 08-04-2011 04:46 PM

I received an EPO RTF e-glider for a magazine review about 2 years ago. It had some problems but they were not too bad. But there was a twist in one wing that I could not trim out so the plane would not fly straigt without tons of aileron and rudder trim.

I spoke to the editor and asked what I should do.

We contacted the MFG and they shipped me a while new plane.

On the second one the left aileron controls did not center and I could not get them to center no matter what. It had a werid linkage. turned out the linkage was broken. And on this onethe motor failed within one minute.

I tried to make one good plane out of the two but the wing with the warp was the same wing with the aileron that would not center.

Needles to say the review was never written.

Later I read about people who had this plane. Similar issues.

So the problems with the Phoenix 2000 might be isolated but I have read things about it like this before. Cheap is ... cheap. Sometimes things are too cheap. The look good on paper but don't deliver.

BTW, this plane is totally different from the Phase3 Phoenix 2 sold by Hobby People. http://www.hobbypeople.net/ That has been getting excellent reports.

Antares100 08-05-2011 09:23 AM

Too bad the review was not written, it should have been. Too many times things like this happen and until pressure is put on the manufacturers (no sales) the problem won't be fixed.

DUCO 08-05-2011 09:38 PM

I agree, if there is a problem, someone should make it clear that it is present in any model. I have to admit, I have had great luck in that all ordered gliders so far have been true and no warps. All electronics have been flawless and the motors have all performed as designed to do. I will say this, I am one of those people who will research everything I can find before I lay out the hard earned. This has helped severial times when my eyes were woowed by the looks and not the quality and or the cheap price. I have walked this dear planet long enough to fully understand the saying: U get what you pay! But I also have learned the highest price does not always mean the best quality either. Research that eye candy before you lay out the moola.:eek:

linkadrip 08-08-2011 11:17 AM

Well i have sent several emails requesting a new motor &amp; ESC &amp; havent gotten any response back. This is the first RC plane i have ever purchased from this company i have bought batteries and little do dad things with no problems. But will never buy anther plane from them that is a PNP plane maybe an arf would be a safe bet but even that id be second guessing &amp;is now iffy. I sent the burnt out parts back to them and figure well they will most likely just toss them in the trash &amp; forget about me that what i expect from Chinese companies they sure arent your frind &amp;they defiently dont care whether your happy or not IMOP.

But I was figuring that if you by anything from hobby king or any foreighn Company across the ocean your taking a gamble &amp; pretty much get what ya get. I will most likely stick to Tower Hobbies and companies here in the US since i know there quality is good they ship fast &amp; stand behind there products.

I fixed the gliding issue with this plane the wing just needed some more reinforcment it was buffeting in the wind like a wing flapping. then moved the battery back &amp;this moved the CG back a 1/4 of an inch and now it glides nice and smooth.

People have to remember one thing about buying something like this. its like going to the dollar store &amp; expecting to get quality its not gonna happen. But if you can make it work then its worth it.

Im just happy the actual plane arrived in one piece. Think that was my biggest concern.

So if your willing to take the risk &amp; Gamble a little then you may get lucky &amp; end up with a fairly Decent little glider For a few bucks.

linkadrip 08-08-2011 11:33 AM

So yesterdays Flight was a good one, Caught some thermals &amp; did some crazy aerobatics, &amp; enjoyed flying the plane. Managed to fly for about an Hour, But i feel i had some help  from above since it was a memorial flight i did for My Girl friend that passed away, she was helping me out. So i feel i got my moneys worth, even if it did need a little TLC in the begining. I would recomend that the ARF version would be the way to go cheaper &amp; would be a better gamble &amp; that is the Key to buying chinese products.
 its a gamble if you dont have a gambling nature then find a company your comfortable getting a sailplane from. Just saying

bokuda 08-22-2011 03:04 PM

I just received on of these today which I ordered, unfortunately, before reading this forum. It took about three weeks to receive and arrived in good condition and was was mostly easy to assemble. I also found the linkage hardware inadequate and replaced all of it. The only assembly issue is with the wing attachment; it requires that four bolts be lined up with blind nuts which I found difficult to do. It required enlarging one of the holes that did not line up with its blind nut.

Instructions are very minimal and a newby would have problems with assembly. I got the plane without radio. There are no instructions provided for programming the ESC. I will search on line for them. I suppose it will have to be replaced if I cannot locate them.

It will be a few days before it is flown and I will try to remember to report my experience.

strat1960s 08-03-2014 11:36 AM

I've only flown my P2K a few times since getting it last month. All in all, I have to say I am pleased with this glider.

Ted

lgrote 10-02-2014 06:23 PM

I have a Phoenix 2000 and lost the canopy. After searching for some time I found the following site that will supply parts for the 2000.
www.volantexrc.com

Click on support and then spare parts. Several models will be displayed that spare parts are available.
Good Hunting

bokuda 10-03-2014 05:33 AM

linkadrip's post reminded me after 3 years that I never did post my flying experience with this plane. It flies OK and the motor is far more than enough to get it high in a hurry. It's so-so at thermaling; it takes a strong one to get it up. Overall it's satisfactory for the price. I still have it and have had no major issues with it. The sticker/decals do not adhere well and tend to curl up at the ends. It might be best to leave them off and dress up the plane with paint or something else.

fastback62 12-14-2014 05:10 PM

I just purchased the Pheinix 2k. Have not used it yet. We have super strong thermals out my back door, so im excited on flying this coming Spring.

aeajr 12-23-2014 07:24 AM

Thermals out side your back door? I am so jealous.

aeajr 01-17-2015 09:37 AM

If any of you Phoenix pilots are interested in getting a taste of contest flying and are within a few hours of Long Island, NY, come on down to our ALES contest April 25 and 26.

If you are an accomplished pilot you an fly Expert or Sportsman but if you are new at this you can fly Novice. Novice pilots fly FREE.

More information here:
http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=193

loopdeeloop 06-14-2015 05:18 PM

I returned from my field just a bit ago and spent a fun afternoon of flying with my Phoenix 2000. I opted for the bare model and although I used a Hobby King ESC and motor, and servos. This model also contains a Hobby King 2.4 Ghz receiver and conversion module for my Futaba 9C 72 MHz radio. That setup has been used for several years without a hiccup. As for the glider, I really wanted a Calypso as it seems to glide a tad better, but every supplier had them on backorder at the time. However, the Phoenix does perform quite well. Those of you using heavier batteries should consider dropping back in size. I use a 1300 and an 1800 and get very nice flight times. Today was warm here in the Midwest and abundant thermals allowed some great flights. I agree the instructions are not great but then assembling this model is not exactly rocket science. My only complaint is that the folding prop still likes to windmill and no -- the blades are not binding. My model is fitted with flaps and they are handy but not really necessary on a model of this size and type. Landings are easy to "grease". For the money, the Phoenix is a great buy. But since so many folks seem to have issues with non-airframe components, I would suggest buying the bare model and fit whatever ESC, motor, battery and servos you want.

SpeedsterDEN 09-30-2015 11:19 AM

Extreme towing ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLTwe6Z7pOg

SpeedsterDEN 11-01-2015 10:15 AM

Last Phoenix 2000 video from me, Just sold the beautie :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMVNcwzpuHg Cheers
Soren