RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/)
-   -   Do you use FrSky Modules and Receivers? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/10935796-do-you-use-frsky-modules-receivers.html)

MandurahRC 09-21-2012 07:44 PM

RE: Do you use FrSky Modules and Receivers?

Hi all I purchased a Frsky diy V8HT upgrade for my turnigy 9X and 2 x D6FR receivers and a TFR6 receiver followed all install instructions and fitted V8HT to radio all ok, then when trying to bind radio to receiver i had all 3 receivers go directly into fail safe mode with red and green led on constant and could not get a flashing red led as discribed in instructions on receivers as described so i removed the radio V8HT  and ordered a DJT module which came with a V8FR-II receiver followed binding instructions and bound up instantly great
So then i tried to bind the new module to the D6FR and TFR6 receivers and no luck they still go directly to failsafe with both red and green leds on constant could not get a flashing red led for the binding progess
can anybody help surely i didnt get 3 faulty receivers??

thanks
Craig

skywardone 09-26-2012 02:32 PM

Craig, it sounds like you have a host of problems going on.
1. the V8HT is a non telemetry module and must be used with V8 , V8 series II receivers or the VD5M receiver, "you had neither your first go round.
2 The D series receivers are set up for telemetry systems
3. the T series receivers are for Futaba faast systems.

Next
the DJT module you bought will do either mode depending on how the dip switches are set on the module. you set it up in V8 mode so it will only work with the V8 seriesreceiver that came with it V8-II series receivers or the VD5M.
* I would set the switches to D mode so you can run your 2 - D series 6 channel receivers and return the other 2 receivers where you purchased them. if you cant return them maybe i can work something out with you to swap for the correct receivers for your system. we are an Frsky dealer in the U.S.

Jeff,
Skywardhobbies.com

mixerfix 09-27-2012 07:34 AM

Hmmm... I use the 7 channel R617-lookalikes from FrSky with my FF9/TM-8. Work like a charm.

One is on a Su-26 small (1.2m) electric, one is on a a Precision Aerobatics Bad Boy (1.2) glow plank and one is on a.... ummm... where did I put it? Damn. Not sure. Somewhere. No problems. Everything flies perfectly.

M

aeajr 12-04-2012 08:22 PM

Anyone else using FrSky?  Care to comment?

LovesToSail 12-05-2012 07:03 PM

I posted twice but here is an update after using it all this flying year - and I must add that I have flown more this year than in the past 6 years combined (I was a happy camper) - anyone else have kids move out of the house lately?

Here are my thoughts - flew mostly electric converted sailplanes - Gentle lady (use as a trainer for new people at field), Viking Mk2, Airtronics Legend, Dodson Windsong (oh so sexy in the air), a Sagitta 900 and a Sagitta 1100 (MH32 132" or so) for lack of a better name.

1) The system is rock solid

2) Having sources for the components in the USA is awesome (Aloft Hobbies)

3) Having telemetry (FrySky on FlySky 9X with Open 9x SW) is something I will never fly without - why? My old system would go into failsafe on occasion when the antenna's were aligned perfectly co-linear with the transmitter antenna. No surprise there, it was bad placement on my part but with a narrow fuse and the plane flying away and up under motor - it was bound to happen. But with telemetry, I received instantaneous and continuous feedback on my TRANSMITTER of the signal strength of the received signal in the plane (RSSI). So I knew if there were orientations of the plane relative to the transmitter that were bad (or any other reason) - this allowed me to "measure', change and observe fix (do I sound like an engineer?). On 72Mhz, this wouldn't have happened, on my other 2.4 it did but I had no way to really "know" why I went to failsafe other than to guess, move the antenna and "see what happened". I was not a fan of that approach.

4) Second point on telemetry - no longer guessing at what is happening to either flight pack (ESC) voltage or Lipo voltage - it is on my screen and I get warnings (per plane basis) if the values get "low". I can't tell you the number of times I got nervous that I had no battery left and thus would leave the boomer of the summer to land and check/change packs - I don't ever have to do that again. And I can see the Lipo and ESC voltage under load! No more guessing there and it can validate that the ESC cutoff is working properly on those first few test flights (even after bench testing). I believe this could potentially detect a binding surface or failing servo should it load the ESCdown enough to cause alarm (it normally is highly steady voltage for a sailplane - like within .1-.2 volts).

5) As I mentioned in an earlier post, having real-time altitude displayed on your screen is awesome - I do mean awesome. Is it something I need on every plane? Nope... But what it has done is provided needed feedback to me to verify that when I think I am going up - I can actually see it. Not the same as a variometer but for me - it is a really good training tool. Another thing it taught us all at the field was how high we were really flying. What we had thought was 1000 feet was usually 800 feet until we all got somewhat calibrated. By the end of the summer, we could pretty well tell the heights of our planes (without looking) as we had "calibrated" ourselves - this is really good to know. Also, I hate to admit - but I held the transmitter up much like most of us do to block the sun - I did it to try to center my plane such that I got maximum feet per minute. Literally on days with a good boomer, I could get 50-75 feet per turn - that was so cool to see and it confirmed what I thought I was doing (going up). And yes, I suspect that my buddies were annoyed at me whenI asked them how high they thought my plane was with maniacal smile on my face.

5) The system is very affordable - and not to re-iterate - it just works

6) Do I sound like a happy camper? I feel so lucky to have gotten out flying with guys this year so frequently and this system (affordable, capable, readily available) made it very enjoyable and SAFE.

Scott
aka ScottSails on um other forum if I am allowed to say that...

aeajr 12-05-2012 07:57 PM

Great report.  Thanks so much for posting.