RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/)
-   -   1932 BS2 'Balestruccio' (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/11292801-1932-bs2-balestruccio.html)

ARUP 11-10-2012 06:25 AM

1932 BS2 'Balestruccio'

1932 BS2 'Balsestruccio' Italian sailplane scratchbuilt using 3-views drawn by Franceso Camastra in Vincenzo Pedrielli's fine book 'Italian Vintage Sailplanes' and info from the author himself. Vincenzo let me know this is the first RC version of this beautiful gull winged sailplane! The model is 118" span and 'flapped' for glideslope control. The basic structure follows the original where bulkeads, longerons and cross members are located. The wing uses Go549 at root gradually changing to a symmetrical section at tip. There are just a few details that remain to be finished but is otherwise completed and ready for the 2013 JR Aerotow and any others that come along.

bogbeagle 11-10-2012 08:09 AM

RE: 1932 BS2 'Balestruccio'

Fabulous model.

Does it have ailerons?

Be sure and get some video. I'd judge that there's many a forum member salivating at the sight of that glider.

ARUP 11-10-2012 12:57 PM

Hi Bobeagle- thank you for your kind remarks. This is my second 'vintage' sailplane so I am still learning some new building techniques. It's really fun! The flaps start near the wing root and terminate at the gull break. The ailerons start at the gull break and extend to the tips. They're very large and must have felt 'heavy' at speed in the full scale bird. The wings separate on center for transport. The stab/elevator halves are removable, too. The elevator horn has 'square drives' on the ends which engage 'square drive' receivers in the elevators. The fuselage lays in its cradle at an angle within the storage box. This reduces storage space because the storage box can be made smaller.

ARUP 11-14-2012 09:01 AM

Skid done. Compass made. More instruments needed.

BMatthews 11-14-2012 12:01 PM

That is a GREAT looking model! The paneling on the fuselage is especially scale like with the seams.

At 118" span it'll likely be one of the smaller and lighter models at any Aerotow event. But the great thing about that is that you can launch it with a typical regular winch or even a good heavy duty high start and get more flying out of the project.

All the best at the Aerotow.

ARUP 11-15-2012 07:05 AM

Hi BMatthews, thanks for the compliments! Yes, everybody wants BIG airplanes... except me! This will strictly be a straight and level aerotowed flying machine. Here are some more pics. Venturi tube, backrest, graphics and pilot next.

ARUP 11-17-2012 02:23 PM

Venturi done. It was a tough part to fabricate. Not perfect. It'll have to do...

ARUP 11-28-2012 06:10 PM

Look ma! Here's how the cabanes were made!

ARUP 12-03-2012 06:24 PM

Here's the book by my friend, Vincenzo Pedrielli, from which I obtained the information to build this sailplane. His able artist friend did the 3-views. There are some very interesting designs to be found in this book, too! If you are 'into' scale vintage sailplanes then add this book to your collection. It will be a great resource just like the books by Martin Simons!

da Rock 12-04-2012 04:25 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ARUP

Look ma! Here's how the cabanes were made!

Just noticed the wood you are using is red. I have never seen that, but then I've never bought wood outside the US.

Why is your wood red? Mahogany? Cherry?

ARUP 12-04-2012 10:04 AM

Hi da Rock, the wood was pre stained with Behlens medium brown stain. These stains clean up with water and don't affect glue joints. If staining after the joinery then 'the pox' rears its ugly head! Any place glue goes, stain won't. Thanks for looking. This airplane doesn't seem to attract much interest from the masses... lol
Vincenzo was pretty excited about this airplane and tells his friends in Italy that this is the first sailplane to be built from the 3-views in his book! He is pretty sure no one in Europe has built the Balestruccio for RC. I'm stoked about it! Cheers!

da Rock 12-04-2012 01:54 PM

Neat. I figured it could be stained.

The wood grain and details are going to make that model a real winner. We seem to have a number of talented craftsmen doing gliders.

ARUP 12-04-2012 06:05 PM

IMHO, if you can successfully fly a sailplane (thermal and land when you are ready) then you can fly anything fixed wing. The challenge is subtle but there! That's why I really like 'em! 'Scale' just adds a difficulty factor to the mix which is even more fun! Too bad more folks don't appreciate it.

ARUP 12-06-2012 08:48 AM

Here's how the nose piece and basic framework came together. Form built to make nose bows. Carbon fibre and home made tow release laminated into bows. These bows added to box. Looks like a boat on the 'ways'! Stuff gets added to this basic 'box' to make the final result a living sailplane! lol

ARUP 12-08-2012 08:10 AM

Now... add stuff! Lower keel and support, strut attach point and skid attach hard points.

ARUP 12-09-2012 06:15 PM

More stuff added! Tail skid and block installed. Elevator push rod and horn with square drives installed. Brass tubes in fuse receive stab joiner wires. Square brass tubes in elevator fit square elevator drives. Stab one side has this wheel collar-on-a-brass-strip let into it as a retainer for the stab/ elevators. Wires glued to one side. You can see Allen wrench used to tighten/ release stabs. I made it a 'take down' system for storage- transport. You can see tail surfaces getting covering and varnish. Beauty! Pretty nifty, huh! Who- wah- hah-hah-hah-hah-haaaaaaaaaah!!!!

ARUP 12-12-2012 08:03 AM

On the skids!

da Rock 12-12-2012 09:38 AM

Beautiful, beautiful

But one suggestion. Be careful you do not leave it on the floor with no lights on. Noone would notice it against that floor. BTW, beautiful floor too.

ARUP 12-13-2012 07:57 AM

da Rock, thank you, thank you! I may have 'the pox' as reason not too many folks interested but I'll keep posting for your who are! Just be careful and hold a rag over your nose! It's kinda fast tracked. Any ??? just ask. I'm no expert but like 'natural' wood and oil or varnish. That's why I really like vintage sailplanes and other 'old timey' airplanes. Here's some wing construction stuff. CF tow used at joiner tube area and gull break.

ARUP 12-18-2012 04:08 PM

Ply carefully applied using contact cement. You've got one chance to do it correctly! Plain white paper between the parts to be joined is the secret. Slowly withdraw paper while sticking the ply to frame. Varnish everything using roller and brush. Roller doesn't work well for surfaces that have to dry while vertical so use a brush. This is GOLDEN advice peeps! So the few of you that have read this will not have to go thru the trauma I did... The roller leaves tiny bubbles that will level out when surface normal to gravity. The bubbles will NOT level when surface perpendicular to gravity and multiple sessions of sanding and re-varnishing will ensue. If you look at the swaged cable you will see there isn't a 'barb' of cable to poke you or hang up on anything. After swaging, slip a piece of 1/64" ply between the cable and the excess to be cut. Now get your Dremel with the cut-off wheel and trim the excess. The ply protects the pull-pull cable and allows for a nice close 'shave'! This is pretty much the major construction of the Balestruccio. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I have! Thank you for looking at this thread. Just a few details like electronics, weight and balance, graphics and pilot and it will be ready to fly.

ARUP 05-17-2014 06:20 PM

Glamour shots! The Balestruccio construction is complete! Just needs receiver, battery and nose weight. The pilot is painted to represent Vincenzo Pedrielli. He was the author of the book where the 3-views were found for this project. He was very helpful and offered more photos and information privately. Thanks Vincenzo... you are a true friend!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1996217 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1996218 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1996219 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1996220 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1996221 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1996222

Cheers!

ARUP 06-02-2014 03:48 PM

LenB of RCAerotowing.com fame and fortune maidened my Balestruccio for me at the 2014 Horizon Hobbies Aerotow Event since I'm still a 'newbie' with respect to sailplanes. It flew GREAT! Thanks Len! I had many successful flights with it after that. It even flew for ~20 minutes one flight. I am very pleased and so have started another project for the 2015 Event!

bogbeagle 06-02-2014 10:03 PM

Kudos all round.

Any pics or video? ... I expect you were too busy to wield a camera, though.

ARUP 06-03-2014 04:06 PM

Thanks, Bobeagle! Stephane Sruelle and Jason Cole (Jason is a photographer for RCGroups) took photos of the different sailplanes at the Horizon Aerotow. Stephan's can be found on RCG and RCAerotowing.com while Jason's can be found on RCGroups. Unfortunately, I don't think RCU sent anyone there for coverage. I put an 'in flight' pic taken by my friend Stephane on the Scale forum thread 'Best Scale Photo'.