RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/)
-   -   The Parkzone Radian Coalition ~TPRC~ (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/11551236-parkzone-radian-coalition-%7Etprc%7E.html)

DieHarder 06-23-2013 03:29 PM

The Parkzone Radian Coalition ~TPRC~

Hi everyone, this is the Official Parkzone Radian thread! The Radian has a been a HUGE success, and lots of people are purchasing them. There are currently two different models of the Parkzone Radian available, and hobby shops are selling them like hotcakes! I figure, with all the people who now own one, they'll need a thread in which to post problems, changes, upgrades, and new releases. The two types are the Radian, and the Radian Pro. Here, fellow flyers can discuss which version is better, finer, or needs modifications. This is meant to be the place where happy Radian owners are to talk to other members about their experiences and feelings about what the Parkzone Radian has to offer. Feel free to discuss anything Radian related! All members welcome! :)

Charlie P. 06-23-2013 05:11 PM

RE: The Parkzone Radian Coalition ~TPRC~

Don't have a Radian yet but probably will soon.  I got my start in R/C back in the 1970's with a Sig Riser II glider: two meter / two channel.  Pure, simple flying.  Still have it but haven't flown it since my high-start tubing gave up the ghost.  Instead of replacing the tubing I went to powered flight.  Just strating to get drawn into electrics and am feeling a relaxing glider may be a welcome change from the other R/C styles I have been flying.  Definately subscribing to follow along.

DieHarder 06-23-2013 05:31 PM

Great! Glad to have you on board! ;)

DieHarder 06-25-2013 06:12 PM

So here's my story,...I'll be honest, I'm new to planes. But I've done cars for years. So, last January, I wanted to get into planes. I got sick of my truggy breaking, so I saved up, and went to the LHS. I wanted to get the Flyzone Sensei, but they gave me a few lectures. One of the major reasons I took to getting a plane that the LHS carried, was that they carried the parts right there, and I wouldn't have to order them. So I took the Radian. I've been happy with it so far. I've flown it a few times, crashed it 40ft in a tree, 10ft in another tree, and 30ft in another tree. Throughout all that, I made 9 perfect landings, 5 OK landings, and 3 Ground hits. All of those had GREAT take offs. :D So I took it home, and used Gorilla Glue to fill the chips in the wings. Then I sanded it down, painted the yellow Gorilla Glue white, and sanded it again, then gave it a clear coat. Yesterday, I took it down to the neighbors where I fly. (He has 15 acres of field with 2 large cedar trees on one side, and forest surrounding the field. There's really on one side of the field, only about 30ft of forest, and then it's the main highway. (US-31. It is usually mistaken with (US-131) So I can actually soar high over the highway.) I put the plane in his OLD barn where he lets me store it. It's sitting next to an old restored Lincoln Car. The thing is perfected. We had some storms today though, so I went down and checked to make sure it wasn't getting wet, as the building is so old, that there's air gaps between the vertical board siding. It wasn't wet, but we had an even worse storm after that, that caused a little flash flooding. I'm a bit worried about it getting wet, because I don't want the foam to soak up any water, and become heavy. I just hope it stays safe. I'll try to go down and fly it tomorrow night, if the wind stays calm...

DieHarder 06-26-2013 05:16 PM

I flew it beautifully! I had a few neighborhood kids watching me, and the neighbor who owns the land too. I had 11-12 perfect landings, and never even got near a tree. YES!!! I brought it back undamaged, and all's well. I flew really high too, it seemed to be more fun. :D I got up about 600-700 feet up. It was pretty awesome. I'm looking at getting this, making a custom mount for it, and flying with it here soon... http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD720p-IR-LE...item417290d815 .

Steve Steinbring 07-04-2013 04:55 PM

I have the Radian, but have flown the Radian Pro several times owned by fellow club members. Both are good airplanes and with that said I prefer the Radian I feel it thermals better. I get great flights out of my Radian often over an hour with just a couple climbs to altitude on a good day.

The modifications I have made is to paint fluorescent orange on the wingtips/rudder and put black sunburst stripes on the wing bottoms to help with visibility. The other mod is to enlarge the battery bay with a soldering iron to accept a 2200mah lipo which is now my battery of choice for most flights.

I don't find that there many issues with the Radian its a fun airplane to fly.:)

DieHarder 07-05-2013 05:47 AM

Glad to have you on board! We're starting to rack up a couple of (Hopefully) regulars.</p>

</p>

After research before my purchase, I read that people paint the bottom sides of the wings orange for visibility. I'm not sure I'm ready to try that yet, I'm not flying so high that I lose sight of it.... yet. I hope to though. I ordered this camera http://www.ebay.com/itm/Real-HDMI-HD...item2a20a3bd32 . I hope it isn't too heavy. I plan to screw the mount, and just use Velcro to strap it to just in front of the leading edge of the wings. Do you guys think it'll be too heavy? I wasn't about to spend $400 on a GoPro Hero 3, so I'm trying this. Think it'll work?</p>

DieHarder 07-08-2013 06:05 PM

Well, my camera finally showed up today! :D Works great! But there is one small crack at the bottom of the screen. It's not worth returning and getting a different one. Everything works fine, it's just a looks thing. But who's gonna see it?!?! I have a plan to attach it to the grated servo access door. I'll post a pick later... :)It also only weighs 3.5 oz. :)

FBaity 07-09-2013 04:54 AM

Sub

DieHarder 07-09-2013 05:21 AM

Submarine????

ORIGINAL: FBaity

Sub

DOUG773 07-31-2013 06:36 PM

Hi folks,

I'm on my second Radian.
Were I fly is windy sometimes, then I heard about the inertial stabilizer Guardian.
Is it possible to use it on a my plane? My Radian is the classic (not Pro).

Thank you!

D.

DieHarder 08-12-2013 04:59 AM

Not sure.... Sorry.

DieHarder 08-23-2013 04:35 PM

(This post is just to bring this thread to the top of the forum...)

dahut 09-20-2013 07:03 PM

Im looking at something like the Radian. Ive been out of RC for a few years, from back in the builda balsa plane days.
But I will be getting back into it and want to get in on the Foam Revolution. The Radian appears to be a fit for me.

DieHarder 09-27-2013 07:57 AM

I really recommend the radian! You should really think of investing in it...

DieHarder 11-14-2013 08:41 AM

Lets see here,... It's been a 1.5 months since the last post here. Maybe this one, like the previous one, will bring it to the top of the thread listing...

Tbatt 11-14-2013 01:39 PM

I purchased a Radian Pro last week and have been having a blast with it. It has a few issues that I will be addressing soon. If you haven't done the Paul Naton modifications, then you are missing out on just how well the Radian can be. It is a total transformation of how it flys. The stock Radian is setup more like a powered plane and that is good for most beginners. To really get the most out of the Radian it needs about one evening of work to turn a good plane into a great plane.

Here is the link to the video on how to perform the mods. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5dQVqPivXY
Tim

DieHarder 11-18-2013 12:46 PM

Cool! Post your issues. We'll try to help! Nice vid!

n0irw 11-25-2013 11:47 AM

The Naton mods are more suited for the Pro.....If you get the CG right and trimmed, the stock Radian will thermal in most gopher farts. I love mine..........I carry it in my backpack to a local field with 1 battery and fly for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.......lots of fun!

aeajr 12-06-2013 02:23 PM

I'll listen in.

DieHarder 12-06-2013 04:56 PM

Great! Except, it seems as if your the only one, but me. I crashed my Radian into a blueberry bush this past week. The bush grabbed and tore the rudder/elevator entire assembly off. It's still hanging on by the pushrods. I'm not sure if I should try and glue it (It may not be the same or straight) or if I should go out and spend $30 on a new fuselage and transfer all electronics over to the new one. What the guys here think about this? Also, I blame the crash on my stupidity to go out in 25mph gusting winds. BIG MISTAKE!!

FBaity 12-07-2013 02:04 AM

Get the new fuselage and transfer the electronics, it's easy with the glued in servos and such.

DieHarder 12-07-2013 06:35 AM

How hard is it to pull servos/stuff out of the old fuselage? Are they glued in well?

aeajr 12-07-2013 07:57 AM

I have pieced my Radian back together for 4 years. After the last crash I finally decided to get a new fuse.

FBaity 12-07-2013 01:29 PM

The servos are easy to remove. Take a hobby knife with a # 11 blade and carefully cut around the parameter of the two servos deep enough to ensure they are separated from the foam, take care not to cut servo leads. Then use medium pressure and pull the servos from the fuselage. Re-install using any type rtv / clear rubber sealer from a tube.