RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/)
-   -   sUAV Registration who's done this? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/11628652-suav-registration-whos-done.html)

ejett 04-15-2016 12:20 PM

sUAV Registration who's done this?

I'm just wondering how many might have registered your (self) with the FAA. If you have, post and say so. If you haven't, I don't recommend a public admission; just don't reply.

EJ

skylark-flier 04-15-2016 07:37 PM

According to FAA, well over 300,000 flyers have. I'm one of them.

ejett 04-16-2016 02:53 PM

Thanks for your reply. That number might be "in the neighborhood", but it is pretty round, so I don't know whether to believe the government's number or not.

skylark-flier 04-16-2016 07:19 PM

Agreed. When government states ANYTHING, they have a purpose in mind. However, in this case, it's actually probably at least "in the neighborhood" in reality too.

You're right to question their numbers though, and their motive. Myself, I registered. What I KNOW is that they know where to find me when they come looking - which is just fine. However, for my own "protection" (for whatever that might be worth) I fly with a printed copy of the law, as passed by the Congress of the United States, in my flight box. Anyone can question me, anyone can challenge me. Then, they can read the law, as it exists today - not a year from now, or a decade from now - today.

BarracudaHockey 04-17-2016 05:41 AM

I registered, I dont see a reason not to. 5 dollar registration versus 27k fine is pretty simple math for me

blvdbuzzard 04-17-2016 04:42 PM

Saying they will give the max 27k fine is a little over the top. How many people actually get the maximum fine on anything? How many people plea bargain out for next to nothing. They would have to spend a ton just to get you in court. It is all scare tactics. If they are so fired up about it, why have we not heard of any getting arrested yet? Every one playing by their rules now, they made it all safe for every one? Just as speed limits stop speeding, this of course will stop all quads from being flown in the wrong spot.

Buzz.

kmeyers 04-17-2016 05:09 PM

I won't go so far as to say this is du@mb, but, what is your point. Everybody who has registered is complying with a simple legal standard.

Our toys fly in the National Air Space and we will follow simple National Air Space sane rules of control.

If you have not registered, please do so. Put a number on your planes and fly responsibly, incourage others to do so as well.

The current rules are looking at giving teeth to the system that punishes the knuckleheads. As with anything there is the law of unintended consequences. Helping minimizing these should be our current goal. So write your congressman.

This is my opinion.

ejett 04-19-2016 11:53 AM

I was trying to get a read on how many of us has registered. But since you have registered and asked me my point, I'll tell you that it is typical of how the government operates - pass more layers of bureaucracy to regulate the citizens and take more money away from them to pay for it. They have laws already that could be used to fine or otherwise manage criminal activity; they didn't and don't really need a "registration" to deal with such. In fact, if someone is pulling something stupid, they probably won't be lining up to register anyway. This supposedly was the FAA reauthorization act, but is actually the FAA expansion act, in my opinion.

You may not agree with my point, but it is still somewhat of a right here in this country for me to have an opinion.

I guess they don't want our sUAV to get in the way of their UAVs. I wonder if they are properly registered....?

BTW, I have written my congressman about the issue. He was kind enough to have his minions send me a reply. I appreciated the response. At least he knows my thoughts.

EJ

ejett 04-19-2016 01:45 PM

Anybody know how many members the AMA has? Just to compare it with the number of flyers that have registered with the gov't.

EJ

skylark-flier 04-19-2016 07:46 PM

Roughly equal. Somewhat more registered than are AMA but the numbers are close.

At least, that's my latest info.

radfordc 04-20-2016 05:30 AM

AMA has about 188,000 members. FAA has over 300,000 registered so far.

Aquila1954 04-24-2016 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey (Post 12203146)
I registered, I dont see a reason not to. 5 dollar registration versus 27k fine is pretty simple math for me

Same as he says. Five dollars is a heck of a lot cheaper than the fine. Although, I got my 5.00 back.

gg3606 04-24-2016 01:01 PM

I have registered my multi-rotors and planes with the FAA and I am a current member of the AMA as well. I found the registration process simple and easy enough. I do not agree with the 5 dollar charge to register but I agree with others that have commented about it being cheaper than a fine. I hope nothing else has to be done legislatively to restrict RC flying anymore than it already has been. But in my opinion, requiring registering pilots to take a test about common aerial practices and safe RC flight would work better than handing out registration to anyone with five dollars.

Sport_Pilot 04-25-2016 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by kmeyers (Post 12203346)
I won't go so far as to say this is du@mb, but, what is your point. Everybody who has registered is complying with a simple legal standard.

Our toys fly in the National Air Space and we will follow simple National Air Space sane rules of control.

If you have not registered, please do so. Put a number on your planes and fly responsibly, incourage others to do so as well.

The current rules are looking at giving teeth to the system that punishes the knuckleheads. As with anything there is the law of unintended consequences. Helping minimizing these should be our current goal. So write your congressman.

This is my opinion.

The only one breaking the law is the FAA.

ejett 04-28-2016 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Aquila1954 (Post 12205897)
Same as he says. Five dollars is a heck of a lot cheaper than the fine. Although, I got my 5.00 back.

How'd you get your $5 back?

BarracudaHockey 04-28-2016 04:29 PM

If you registered before the deadline they took the 5 bux to verify it was a legit person and refunded it

Aquila1954 04-28-2016 06:18 PM

Like BarracudaHockey said. Registered before deadline and it took 4 days and the 5.00 was back into my account.