Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

newby question on motor

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

newby question on motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:05 PM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newby question on motor

i think i've made my mind to make the jump into electric heli's from electric cars. i would like to utilize some of my electronics i have now, so i've been looking into the larger helis. this has landed me most interested in a 500 size due to size and price. i want nothing to do with a rtf heli, kits only since i need to learn and i like to choose my own stuff.

my main question at this point is i see most of these heli's use an outrunner motor, very simular size to a 550 inrunner. i currently have my esc covered, but for motor i have a mega acn 22/45/2 1380kv and was wondering if this would work or will i need to order an outrunner. i'm not too worried if it doesn't work because there seems to be plenty of budget options out there to get started on.

my plan is to order a kit and assemble as i learn (from reading), and slowly choose and buy my electronics and radio over time starting first with the radio. i think a sim (pheonix maybe) would be a nice item for my christmas list so i can practice before the real thing one day in the future.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:02 AM
jerrymac
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: newby question on motor

Check out the Gaui Hurricane 425. It uses 425mm or 430mm blades just like any other "500" sized helicopter. It is a very nice helicopter kit for only $79.00. It can also be easily 'stretched' to use up to 550mm blades for less than $20, not including the blades.

I have never used an inrunner motor, but I use a 1470kv outrunner in mine. Not sure why it would not work except that this particular helicopter uses pinions for a 5mm motor shaft, so that might be something to check is the shaft size.

There are not too many Gaui owners here on RCU, but feel free to Google 'Gaui Helicopter Talk' and you might be able to find some useful info on my new site.

I get most all of my Gaui parts from AlleRC, which I believe is in Meza Arizona, so if you need to order online you should get them pretty quick being in Texas.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:39 AM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

i've seen that brand. the shaft is 5mm, i did check that already. i believe it should bolt right up, so i'm really thinking it will work. thanks. i will look for that heli too since i'm looking for a low cost starter. do you feel its better than the hk500gt kits and simular helis as far as quality goes?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:51 AM
jerrymac
My Feedback: (2)

I have never had a hk500 so I couldn't give you an honest comparison between them, but the Gaui 425 really is a good quality kit for the price.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Moontan13

One of the advantages of a Trex or trex clone is parts availability and price. You wouldn't be limited to buying parts from the manufacturer.