Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

used raptor 30 need a little help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

used raptor 30 need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Little TLW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used raptor 30 need a little help

I purchased a used raptor 30 and cant get it to fire.It came with hanger9 field kit, starter,etc. it came with 2 glow plugs a N3 and a N5 which are both new and glow bright. it also came with a gallon of Cool Power 15% fuel.does fuel have a shelf life like gas?Dont no what im doing wrong he told me he had it running last week. Please Help
Old 01-30-2011, 11:39 AM
nsane1

Default RE: used raptor 30 need a little help

Fuel does have a shelf life and diffrant air temps can play with nitro's too!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Little TLW

How would i no the fuel is to old or not
Old 01-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Switch_639

make sure the battery you use the starter with is fully charged... glow plug is healthy, ignitor is fully charged... then check ur idle gap, it was probably setup on his remote and there might be a diff in your setup... else just trim it up a bit, but be careful as if revs are too high clutch will engage... its simple process really, if glowplug is healthy and burning properly, fuel has reached the carb and can flow easily into it then there's not really an excuse not to start... else get the factory settings for the engine tune and then try start it again...

and then finally consider whether your friend was telling the truth or not (joking)
Old 01-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Little TLW

It wasnt a friend who sold it to me. there could be some truth to your joke but it seems to have lots of compression it came RTF
Old 01-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Little TLW

Just got it to fire up and run for a minute but I had to put my finger over the muffler to create some back pressure to get it to fire. Any ideas Thanks
Old 01-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Switch_639

if theres compression you should be fine... like said then you need fuel in carb and healthy glowplug... then you just need to hold that starter in and torque it and use ur TX trim and click one click at a time... just hold the head as once it goes it might want to spool up... or get someone to help you, they have to decrease the trim so that revs drop...
Old 01-30-2011, 02:08 PM
drobin

I had a problem like that on a plane. Found the fuel was bad. If the container is sealed, it will last a long time. I had some open for about a year and it was bad. Get new fuel and try it.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Little TLW

Thanks for your replies.Ill keep trying
Old 01-31-2011, 12:39 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

If the fuel is sealed and stored in a cool, dark place, then it should be fine. If it was exposed or opened and partially used, then you've probably got bad fuel.

Put a new plug in, get some fresh fuel, and make sure the clunk line in the tank isn't falling apart.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Little TLW

Well I think I got taken for a ride. Tried to fire it up again today after about 5 min of cranking it over it fired up ran for about 10 to 20 seconds then died.Had to hold the head because it was trying to turn.So after a few minutes I fired it up again seemed to be running good didn't have to hold the head it was just sitting there running.THEN THERE WAS A CLOUD OF DUST and the engine started to scream like it was full throttle. Shut it down as Quick as I could. Noticed that it stripped the main gear so then I pulled the engine to see what the cloud was and between the fan and the clutch it was full dust.The engine still has compression I think when you turn the fan by hand it turns real easy till it hits the top then it takes some force to get it to pop then it turns easy on the way back down. Need help first nitro total noob any help would be appreciated Thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a crash that left my engine running full throttle for a while and what it did was wear out the piston rod....there were little pieces of metal grit in the engine...it sounds like you may have the same problem. If you take the bolts off the back of the engine and take that plate off you can look in there and see if there are any metal fragments. Also, have you checked all your fuel lines for any leaks and also the clunk in your fuel tank to be sure the hose is not bad? There is not a lot to those engines...if the fuel is feeding properly they should run smooth.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Little TLW

Ok I pulled bottom plate and did find some bronzey colored flakes what might this be from.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Something inside is worn out with fragments inside the engine....what I did when Ihad that problem is Itook the whole engine apart and cleaned everything out and checked the bearings. The rod thats attached to the piston was bad so Ireplaced that. You do need to make sure none those small metal pieces got into your bearings. If you go to raptortechnique.com it will explain how to take the engine apart and check things. It also tells you how to take the bearings out if you have to. You can also get the manual online for your engine and it will tell you how to take it a part, show you how to tune it, etc.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:11 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

There's a brass bushing where the bottom of the rod meets the crank pin. When that bushing wears out the bottom of the rod will split in half.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:38 PM
turboomni

A used raptor v2 I am assuming is a wonderful helicopter. Your problems could be a reversed throttle servo or a bad O ring or seating of the carb or a bad carb line or a clogged fuel filter or a clogged carb ,, or a bad glow plug or a clogged pressure nipple or a clogged or leaking muffler ,,or bad fuel ,,a bad ring in the motor...a leaking head gasket [loose head]
Or the motor is ripping apart a bearing,,,shall I go on??? There are many reasons for this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 02-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Little TLW

No you shouldn't gone on your assistance is not needed.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Little TLW

Ok I decided that I didnt want to rebuild the TT36 at this time so I went and bought a new OS 37 and a Hatori sab-6rs-3d tuned muffler,new clutch,clutch bell.Finally got the last of the stuff yesterday in the mail.Put it back together last night measured all the linkages and matched them up with the measurements in the manual.Balanced the blades. Then I fastened it down to my work bench fired it up purrrs like a kitten will need to be fine tuned but for now Ill leave it alone (carb settings that is).Spooled it up set the tracking up blades are now running on the same plain.So I think Im ok there but it came with a JR XP652 radio that is pretty much worn out. I bought a used Airtronics RD8000 radio that is like new with a reciever that I would like to use instead of the JR. Could someone help me switch it over Ive been reading the manual but I dont seem to be retaining the information.Also I dont think the gyro is working . Please remember Im totally new to this and there does not seem to be any helicopter guys in my area a couple of plane guys but they dont seem to be alot of help.So any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 06:54 PM
lje553
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you chose a good motor to put in your heli. I don't know much about that radio of i would help. I use a DX8.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Switch_639

why do you say the gyro aint working?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Little TLW

When its turned on and you pick it up and move it around should the gyro not move the the tail rotor to compansate for the tail movement. This one doesnt.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Switch_639

make sure firstly are you in Heading hold mode, in rate mode it wont... which gyro is it? are you inputting the correct gain values from the transmitter? check whether your gain wire is the correct way round into the receiver... I have had it other way around then the gyro gets no input so the tail will function like a normal servo does... left or right...
Old 02-24-2011, 01:10 AM
Little TLW

Its a PZ 200 sport piezo gyro I tried every switch on the radio and it does not do anything. Never will I buy a used heli again just buying someone elses problem. Just went to fuel it up to run and fuel leaked everywhere hole on the side of fuel tank.Im wondering if it would make more sense to buy a new kit and use this for parts instead of sinking more $$$$ into this one
Old 02-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Switch_639

this is true... you were new when getting this? didn't know what to look for? this is always the problem then buying used... if you don't know what to inspect for...
Old 02-24-2011, 01:23 AM
Little TLW

Yes Im new dont have any experience . Just looking at kits whats the difference between a pro and a sport kit besides about $50.00

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.