Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Banking turns on Heli

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:56 AM
stssa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banking turns on Heli

Can someone explain me a little bit about banking turns on heli? I usually fly planes , recently I bought this exi 450 pro , now I am in the process of learning. im not using a sim because real life and sim are totally different. I can hover all day long, so no problem there. When I start flying I can only go forward and then start hovering and then turn the heli 180 degrees then go forward again. Im wondering how can I make banking turns on a heli? On planes I usually use rudder and some opposite aileron to make turns or just bank it and pull on elevator. on heli should I bank it the same side as the rudder input and then apply some back elevator or what? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Banking turns on Heli

ORIGINAL: stssa

im not using a sim because real life and sim are totally different.
That is a function of the quality of the simulator. But that is your opinion. I have first hand knowledge of the power of a simulator on a person learning, but that is another story...

.....Im wondering how can I make banking turns on a heli? On planes I usually use rudder and some opposite aileron to make turns or just bank it and pull on elevator. on heli should I bank it the same side as the rudder input and then apply some back elevator or what? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
I'm sorry to say that you even need to work on your airplane turns. Do you know what a coordinated turn is? From your description it sounds to me that you might be used to "Cub" type aircraft, and a helicopter is more of an Extra or aerobatic type of aircraft.

Here is how a coordinated turn works:
You apply aileron, elevator and rudder to turn the nose of the aircraft around, the turn is level with constant speed. It works the same or airplanes as it does for helicopters. Bank the aircraft in the direction you want to go, use elevator and rudder to control the attitude and speed of the aircraft. You use rudder in the same direction of the turn.

Hope that helped a little. Now go use a good quality simulator to practice.

Rafael
Old 09-03-2011, 02:14 PM
stssa

First of all, I do own Phoenix v3 , real flight 5 and aerofly 5.5, maybe you don't but I know there are thousand of people out there who agree that sims are not like the real feeling.
You are talking about coordinated turns but you still don't know,, in a banking turn if you add some rudder in the same direction you will bring that plane down. I dont know what plane you own that can handle same direction of rudder and aileron. My 100cc sbach or 50cc decathlon can't pull turns like that not even my electric eflite sukhoi su26m and these planes are what you call extra type of aircraft.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I told you what you wanted to know. I have a fleet of 10 helicopters, 10 airplanes, Realflight and Phoneix. I did not come here to list my possessions. I came here to answer your question. Take it or leave it. I know how to make banking turns. I have never used "opposite rudder" to make a turn in a fixed wing aircraft. And I have never started a turn with rudder.

Here is a little reading for you; I suggest you start with the top of the list, the Wikipedia entry.
[link]http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=gsis%2Ci18n%3Dtrue&cp=14&gs_id=1i&xhr=t&q=coordinated+turn&pf=p&sclient=psy&safe=off&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=coordinated+tu&aq=0&aqi=g5&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=74e371c96a48f4b&biw=1280&bih=681[/link]

Also you might need to grow a thicker skin. You got your undies twisted in a bunch for nothing.

Rafael
Old 09-03-2011, 04:00 PM
stssa

When I was commenting about my turns I said I use mostly rudder and some opposite aileron. I didn't say anything about starting the turn with rudder or using opposite rudder. Read carefully. In aerobatic air frame if you want to make level turns you will end up giving opposite aileron because of large control surfaces.

I asked for opinions and said any input will be appreciated but here you come along start talking with a attitude. I didn't ask you anything about sims but you started commenting about my preference.
It doesn't take much to be a real help instead of being a real pain in the azz. I'm done talking to you.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi,

Just want to say if you already have Phoenix why not try a turn on it and see if you get the result your expecting, then try it with your EXI Pro? Not wanting to cause an arguement but sims are worth thier weight in gold when it comes to trying new manuevers with a heli.

I have to say that when I do a turn (banking or just a simple one) I use all 4 stick inputs...throttle, rudder, elevator, and aerilon. You really should try it on the sim first a couple of times just to get used to the stick inputs...things with a heli can go wrong very fast and unfortunately a heli is less forgiving then a plane and will drop like a rock. Just my 3 cents...

Mark
Old 09-11-2011, 09:55 AM
swashplate

I think what you are encountering is the heading hold aspect of the gyro. With these you are actually telling the gyro how fast to let the helicopter rotate in a given direction, so you must apply rudder in relation to the radius of the turn. Bigger turn, less rudder. Tighter turn, more rudder. So for banking, I like to get up plenty of speed, roll slightly in the direction of the turn, apply elevator to initiate the turn, and then simultaneously begin adding a touch of rudder to allow the tail to come around properly in the desired attitude to match the size of the turn. Takes practice, and doing circuits on the sim WILL help guaranteed.

If you do not apply enough rudder the heli appears to fight the turn, when reality it is performing perfectly as it should. Make sure to tune the rates on the tail to your choosing. Every one likes their a bit different either more soft or tight, slow or fast.
Good luck!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:29 AM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rate mode will give you a nice scale type turn. With HH you have to be very precise for the nice looking turns. Bank, pull, rudder then some collective near the end to maintain altitude. Simple as that. Also +1 on the sim. Just did my first loop with an ole mechanical rate gyro from the 80s and it flew just like the sym. Just dial in some random wind and it gets very close to the real thing.