Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

about to get first heli

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

about to get first heli

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 03:25 PM
teamhurst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about to get first heli

so im about to go get my first heli im think im set on the blade cx3 for my first bird. just wanting to know the thought anyone may care to give on this heli or new of another that is best (and under 200 bucks) that would work better. thanks and hope to learn alot here i know this will not be my last chopper
Old 09-20-2011, 06:20 AM
settlingwithpower

Default RE: about to get first heli

One question that comes to mind is how much room do you have indoors?

From your suggestion of the CX3, I'm assuming you're going for a coaxial as the first foray into RC helicopters (which is a good way to start since you can get used to nose in hovers and other basics that you need to master first before you move on to single rotor models), but coaxial helicopters are a handful in the wind so indoors is where you'll need to start.

If you have lots of space the CX3 is not a bad choice but if your space is limited, I would suggest the Blade MCX2. Of the two, the MCX2 is perhaps a little easier to master and it won't be as easily damaged since it only weighs a smidgen over an ounce. The CX3 on the other hand will be damaged from a crash that the MCX2 will just shake off. Both have heading hold gyros however the CX3 is not quite as precise as the MCX2 as far as hands off hover is concerned so it can get away from you somewhat faster than the MCX2 when you're learning how to control the bird.

On the plus side, the CX3 looks more like a real Helicopter since it is a scale model of the MD500 NOTAR. It can also be flown outside in a VERY LIGHT wind whereas the MCX2 will simply float away across the street and into your neighbor's water feature if there is any breeze at all.

Bottom line: I'd start with the MCX2 and then move up to something else unless you want the scale model appearance and larger size of the CX3, have lots of room, and a budget for spare parts. You will crash both of them at first (or at least have hard landings) and the cost of an accident, along with how much indoor space you have, needs to be considered.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:40 AM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

on another note if u google it people have no problems on telling pros and cons about what your looking at possibly buying. one problem with that is everyone has opinions but after u have read the 10th post u will start to see the common problems with the product and solutions etc etc so weather they are just getting into the hobby or have expierience you will know if your pretty much buying a decent product  or junk  and on another note u will see what spare parts u will want to have on hand incase of crashes etc etc
Old 09-20-2011, 04:54 PM
teamhurst

well i did get the cx3 today and the first flight was a success nothing broken! today was very calm out so we went outside my five year old son love it
it took a bit to get it off the ground it wanted to tip to the right at the point that it all most left the ground. but the grass is a bit tall and i think it was the grass. anyway
i did get it in the air with a nice solid hover with just a bit of drift. so after some fine tuning i was back in the air did some small turns around the back yard was a bit harder that i had thought it would be but got the hang of it in short order( guess playing xbox helps) but its going to take alot more flight time to really master.
but my fun had to come to a end we ran out of day light so all in all im very please with this little bird!!