Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Looking for a good Heli for boyfriend

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Looking for a good Heli for boyfriend

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 12:42 PM
AnonymousGift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a good Heli for boyfriend

First off I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

As the title says, I'm looking for a good helicopter as a gift for my boyfriend for Christmas, as he's been wanting one. He has this extremely tiny spycam that he wants to attach to it so he can watch the footage afterwards, so it has to be something that would be able to carry it. Again its a very tiny tiny camera, not sure how it attaches though. I can ask if it would be more helpful.

He is definitely not an expert at flying helicopters as I think he's only had one cheap one before, and he tends to be a bit clumsy so it would have to be a semi-hardy one or at least one that can take a few crashes.

Price is not a big deal as long as its not anything insane (like over $1000).

Thank you so much for your help in advance.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Scrooem

Default RE: Looking for a good Heli for boyfriend

well good question.....

i guess before seeing what your flying he has to fly first...

stuff like the double horse 3 channel are very stable for the most part and can handle a small amount of weight

t rex makes a real good 250 to 700 size heli's but as they get bigger the get more costly to maintain and repair as well as going from 3 channel to 6 channel is a big step

4 channel helis come in two sets of rotors stacked or one set in a fixed angle pitch these heli's, the 4 ch ones are inbetween in ability level so he can get better and advance

going for the big 600 to 700 heli's will run you $700 - $1800 to start then there is a lot of putting together

i sould sat start him off small and see how he handles it

here are a few pictures of different size helis and a project with what it takes to put it together
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94541.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1675354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21313.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1675355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34915.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1675356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55841.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1675357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny27041.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	1675358  
Old 10-18-2011, 02:36 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

remember if it is 6 channel 3d type the bigger the more stable IMHO so say a trex 500-700 are alot more steady "if set up correctly" then the 450-100. but they cost alot more to repair and or initially buy as mentioned above good luck.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:14 PM
LarryV

First off, your boyfriend is very lucky to have a girlfriend who is willing to spend a thousand bucks on him for a helicopter. Do you have a much older sister? :>)...,Second, if photography and video is his main interest I would look into a quadrocopter. The quads are easwier to fly than a helio ( not as easy as planes) You can get one from about $350.00 if you already have a transmitter. This is the one I started with: http://www.hobbywireless.com/cart/in...roducts_id=455. Here are some videos shot with the Quad: http://vimeo.com/album/1673229
Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 PM
AnonymousGift

Thank you so much for your help. I'm not sure what he thinks of the quadrocopter style, can't think of an easy non-obvious way to ask him either. =P
I'm honesty a complete noob when it comes to all this, so any specific coptors would be great. But I've looked up some of the ones you guys have mentioned and have them bookmarked for comparison.

And the reason I'm willing to spend so much is because he got me a lovely katana (real) for my birthday, haha.

EDIT: I showed him the videos from the quadrocoptor and he seemed to love it. So I may end up going with that. =)

Old 10-19-2011, 09:37 AM
nick4622

post a pic of the sword. I think one of the blade type of helis would work great, deff go for the four channel ones, as the six channel are quite hard to fly. i'm thinking blade CX would be a great platform of some camera stuff. Or if you think hes serious about flying and think he might want to fly outside someday, go for a SIM to practice on the computer avoiding real crashes, the cost can add up.

Let us know what your thinking.

Nick
Old 10-22-2011, 12:51 PM
AnonymousGift

Here's what the sword looks like: http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/3964/dsc0847x.jpg Not the best pic, but its the one I took real quick when I first got it.

Any good websites you guys reccomend for buying helis? Or just froogle? Ha.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:14 AM
nick4622

I have had great service from www.helidirect.com also have had several orders from www.xheli.comwith no complaints.
www.amainhobbies.com is good if your west coast.

Nice blade!!

helidirect will price match any competors price you can find, so check out www.helipross. and have helidirect price match form this site as they are the cheapest i have found.