Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Buying advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 AM
thegovna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying advise

I am new to all of this and looking for my first electric helicopter. My questions are: should I buy new or used, clone or name brand. I am talking to a guy who wants to sell me a "new" T-Rex 500 clone for 550.00. It comes with aSpektrumDXi 6trans. and rec, a new battery but no charger. I can get a list of all of the components and list them later today. I bought a simulator and have someone who flies to help me learn the basics. Your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Raycamaro

Default RE: Buying advise

I would buy a coax like the MCX2 from Horizon and practice with it. You can use the DX6i for it if you buy a BNF model. I buy most of my Micros with RTF (I own 2 DX8s, 2 DX6is and several DX5 and other radios) so that everything is in one box for transporting to flying area. Some people go from coax to fixed pitch then move to collective pitch like the one you are looking to buy. My two cents.

The picture is a couple of years old. I've bought several helis since then including a quad copter among others.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95219.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1690232  
Old 11-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have somebody that will guide you thru the learning process, and also have a simulator, I'd say go ahead and learn with that 500 and save any extra money to buy spare parts and that charger that you are going to need.

Although coaxials and small electrics may seem like a good inexpensive option to start with, The value of a stable flying platform (the bigger they are the better they fly) combined with the "coaching" from an experienced pilot and the simulator backup will prove to be a great combination.

Rafael
Old 11-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Mack66

Agree with Rafael. You're on a great start. Take your time, listen to your mentor, and join a club. You will get lots of help at a club. Also, use training gear until you learn to hover. You will save lots of $$$$ using training gear.

Mack
Old 11-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

I can get a list of all of the components and list them later today.
That would be a good idea, then we would know if the clone and it's components are worth the $550 value. There was a guy here trying to sell a HK500gt and stated he had over $1500 into it and would sacrifice $875 and he listed all it's components(which was only worth $450). I'd hate for you to get sub-par components and were led to believe there were really good.

My very first heli was a Raptor 50, but I think a 500 would be a good size to start with also.

Keep us posted.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All good advise....I'll add my 2 cents. Itraded a couple rc cars for a used Raptor 50 that was in great shape and set up perfect. Iam very happy Ilearned on a nitro heli of that size(also had a simulator). Be careful buying used....but there are great deals out there to be had.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 PM
MattyWhite

Hi thegovna, You should buy brand new and branded for you to avoid problems. Try electric coaxials as a starter and and if you think you know enough then try other kinds of helicopter. Before buying ask the experts.