Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Beginner w/ questions and seeking advice and answers.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Beginner w/ questions and seeking advice and answers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:16 PM
nateg417

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner w/ questions and seeking advice and answers.

Hello everyone, first post on this site and having some questions and looking for some advice.
First off I'm new to RC. I'm wanting to get a RC helicopter. Here is what my goals are. Iwant something that isn't incredibly easy to learn. But I know as a beginner I can't/shouldn't start with a 6ch CP, but at the same time I don't want something that I will master fairly soon and easily. Something that will take a decent amount of time to learn how to fly and slowly progress my way through the various skill sets needed to become advanced or somewhat of a "master" of the particular heli Istart off with. Whatever I start off with I will not probably have the funds to upgrade to something better and harder and funner to fly anytime soon. Also Iprefer something that can be flown both indoors/outdoors. Irealize that I won't be able to fly with gusting winds, but mainly on a nice calm day or light breeze. Also Ihave an apt. that isn't that large. So basicallyIwant some input on what would be the best helis in your opinions. The guys at my local hobby shop recommended the Blade 120SR. I was wondering what others think of this heli and possible other comprable ones. Unfortunately where I live there are only two hobby shops and only brand either sells is Eflites Blade series helis. So was definitely wondering about other brands that would be comprable out there. They were telling me that I would probably be good starting on a single rotor FP as opposed to a coax that I would very likely get bored with easily. Ihope some will respond to this and and input would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:54 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Beginner w/ questions and seeking advice and answers.

I don't think you will get bored too easily with a coaxial. The CX2 will fly outdoors, but it won't handle much wind.I fly more advanced helis now like the Blade 400 and T-Rex, but I still enjoy flying a CX2 .
My reccomendation would be to get a good coaxial to start with. Unless you have the money to get a simulator also, you will probably spend more money repairing a more advanced helicopter than you would if you started out with a coaxial. You will develop a lot of skill and muscle memory with a coaxial that will help when you move up to a collective pitch bird. All of the Blade helicopters are very good products with good customer support and replacement parts are easy to get. So you won't go wrong with the Blade 120, but you will probably end up buying more replacement parts than you would if you started out with a Cx2 or similar coaxial. However, if you can get a simulator, then I would reccomend just getting a Blade 450 and don't try to fly it until you build some skill on the sim.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Felix the cat

Default RE: Beginner w/ questions and seeking advice and answers.

Absolutely,WORDS of WISDOM. Please read the entire post; it is extremely accurate.

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

I don't think you will get bored too easily with a coaxial. The CX2 will fly outdoors, but it won't handle much wind.I fly more advanced helis now like the Blade 400 and T-Rex, but I still enjoy flying a CX2 .
My reccomendation would be to get a good coaxial to start with. Unless you have the money to get a simulator also, you will probably spend more money repairing a more advanced helicopter than you would if you started out with a coaxial. You will develop a lot of skill and muscle memory with a coaxial that will help when you move up to a collective pitch bird. All of the Blade helicopters are very good products with good customer support and replacement parts are easy to get. So you won't go wrong with the Blade 120, but you will probably end up buying more replacement parts than you would if you started out with a Cx2 or similar coaxial. However, if you can get a simulator, then I would reccomend just getting a Blade 450 and don't try to fly it until you build some skill on the sim.