Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Newbie wanting to get started!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Newbie wanting to get started!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:23 AM
uncie82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie wanting to get started!

Hey Everyone! I am a complete newbie and I have never flown before! I am looking to get started in flying helicopters. I would like to get good enough to go fly outside at the park. Was looking online at the Blade Scout and the Blade mCX2. Does anyone have suggestions? I know the two I mentioned are starter heli's and indoor only. What would you start with and eventually move to for outdoors? I'm comfined to a wheelchair so I thought electric would be better suited than nitro.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 AM
olefart

Default RE: Newbie wanting to get started!

I have the mcx2, and it is good to get aquainted with the controls, but you will probably get bored with it real quick. I would probably go with a Nine Eagles Solo Pro. it is a 4 channel Fixed Pitch heli with a 45 degree fly bar. The fly bar angle makes it fairly stable compared to a 90 degree fly bab. you can fly it indoors, and if there is a slight breeze 3-5 mph, you can take it outside AFTERyou get good indoors. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on whatever you choose.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:14 AM
HavinFun
My Feedback: (4)

Which ever you choose a good simmulator such as [link=http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/realflight/gpmz4460m.html]Real Flight[/link] or [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/browse/productgrid/heli-simulators-10000979]Phoenix[/link] will help you greatly.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:26 AM
kfrisbee

Here's my $.02 from a beginner to a beginner:

I got a 2ch for Christmas - boring
Purchased Scout CX - boring after 20 flights or so
Purchased Blade 120 SR a few days ago and after 6 batteries able to hover in a light breeze - not boring
Ordered a little V911 fp single rotor mini heli for practicing 4ch in the house when I can't fly outside.

Good luck and be careful, this hobby is addicting!!!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 AM
olefart

I would also vote for a 120SR in addition to the Solo Pro, as the 120SR is also a 45 degree fly bar set up. After you feel real confident with one of these you could progress to a larger 90 degree fly bar if you want.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:11 AM
uncie82

First of all thanks for the replies! I am liking the looks of the Blade 120 SR and the Nine Eagles. Hard to choose. So when your talking about different channels and fly bars, does that mean more channels and bigger fly bars the more that the heli can do? Like what would be the ultimate outdoor heli? Now to decide between 120SR or Solo Pro. Also do suggest a good reputable online retailer? I don't live in a town with any hobby shops.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:38 PM
olefart

For outdoors, the bigger the better... Also a 6 channel Collective pitch will perform better outdoors than a 4 channel fixed pitch. However 6 channels are harder to learn if you are a beginner, and expensive to repair when you crash (notice I said WHEN not IF). I like ClubHeli, HeliHeli, or Tower Hobbies.They treat the customer very good, and ship promptly. Whatever you decide to get, order at least one set of blades (both main rotor and tail rotor, an extra landing skid, a spare fly bar, and at least one extra battery.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:55 PM
uncie82

Looks like I'm leaning towards a Blade 120 SR. Seems like everyone is in agreement that it would be a good starter heli and that I would get bored quickly with getting the Scout or the mcx2. The 120 SR is indoors with a little flight outdoors with minimum breeze. You guys agree this is the route I should go? Like I said, I'm a complete newbie.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:47 PM
olefart

+1 for me...
Old 01-02-2012, 05:31 PM
kfrisbee

+1 from me on the 120 as well. The only reservation I have is that I don't think it's a great living room heli, at least for a beginner. GREAT heli for a large indoor space and for outdoors with little to no wind.